How do you rate RF'2 gameplay/physics?

I think what Eric is getting at is the Classic cars prove how deep rF2's physics are. Just imagine what the likes of ORSM, Enduracers etc can do with them just like they did with rF1!!!

I personally can't wait to drive a fully fledged mod from one of our established and respected teams on rF2's physics engine;).

OK, after a very frustrating evening of testing I have managed to surmise one very clear thing.

Track conditions and track conditions only are the only way you can get the FR3.5 to work!

I was blatting round Sepang yesterday at a very decent pace in a server, was getting good feedback, could feel the car working. Weather was OK, didnt notice anything different!!

Same car, same setup, on my own today and the thing feels like a total turd, no front feeling, bouncing all over the place, understeering like a dog. IN ncie weather, sunny and no wind, I mean what bloody gives?

After initially priasing the ISI guys I must now state this car is seriously flawed. You only have to look at the vast range of laptimes and errors being made.

I have done plenty of laps in it now and still can't get used to how it feels, one lap it bites you, the next it goes round nicely. It hops over the bumps and no amount of softening, raising avoids it, almost feels like the tyres are too hard and the downforce is making the tyres roll off the rim!

Totally unpredictable, unlike the Megane and 60's cars that you at least have some idea of whats going on.

Maybe it is the weather, but I couldnt get withing 4 seconds of my previous best earlier, and gave up! Something clearly wrong there, and very annoying and frustrating. As I was using the same setup as the day before when I was loving driving this car.

I have NO IDEA now what to think about this thing

Considering its a beta (alpha?) an F2 race with the AI in the rain at Spa is intoxicating. The sense of speed is enough to pee your pants. I think the AI is good, much better than RF1. One major reason I never totally abandoned GPL for RF1 was RF1's AI. RF2's AI spreads out, will pass you if you're too slow, and makes its own driving errors (ha). (It does appear programmed to make a mistake in front of you when you are closing in to pass.) I can't say I have ever driven a vintage grand prix car, but the dynamics seem reasonable to me. You cannot (I cannot) get the cars as sideways as in GPL and recover. This at least agrees with the film footage I have seen from the 60's era. GPL always seemed flawed requiring and allowing a great amount of yaw to go fast. I also like the graphics. When blasting along at 150+ the RF2 world looks great both on a sunny afternoon or in a summer shower. Oddly, RF2 looks better in car than from an external view? Its a BS feature but I get a kick out of track side figures waving as I go past. The cow that scolded me for landing in her pasture was precious.

I have driven 2 consecutive laps with the F1's without a simulated maiming. I have driven dozens of F1 laps with a different result. I find the F1's tricky to drive requiring I unlearn much from GPL.

Who knows what RF2 will become? So far I'm loving it and I hope it becomes the sim for which we all dream.

Sam

I think the physics and gameplay is awesome, but they definitely need a proper good tweaking. At the moment I think they have the potential to be the best out there, but they aren't there yet. The AI as usual is capable of being very fast, but they are very stupid and drive dangerously, I would wish they were less suicidal drivers, then I could actually have decent races against them.

I'd like to see a more standard car in the lineup. So far, the three offers handle quite dodgy, some are supposed to, the others are unknown (since not many people ever drove a formula 3.5), but I have serious doubts about the existence of any competition car being so hard to drive.

My bet is that the physics and ffb need a lot of tuning yet, driving should come natural and it doesn't feel like it. At least a "normal" car would confirm 100% my feeling.

I am also amazed by the absolutely terrible default setup of the cars, in parallel with the absolutely amazing reviews I read before launch. None of them (as far as I recall) mentioned having to fiddle with steer lock, brake bias etc, all finding the cars handling so fantastic straight away. Really?

OK, after a very frustrating evening of testing I have managed to surmise one very clear thing.

Track conditions and track conditions only are the only way you can get the FR3.5 to work!

I was blatting round Sepang yesterday at a very decent pace in a server, was getting good feedback, could feel the car working. Weather was OK, didnt notice anything different!!

Same car, same setup, on my own today and the thing feels like a total turd, no front feeling, bouncing all over the place, understeering like a dog. IN ncie weather, sunny and no wind, I mean what bloody gives?

After initially priasing the ISI guys I must now state this car is seriously flawed. You only have to look at the vast range of laptimes and errors being made.

I have done plenty of laps in it now and still can't get used to how it feels, one lap it bites you, the next it goes round nicely. It hops over the bumps and no amount of softening, raising avoids it, almost feels like the tyres are too hard and the downforce is making the tyres roll off the rim!

Totally unpredictable, unlike the Megane and 60's cars that you at least have some idea of whats going on.

Maybe it is the weather, but I couldnt get withing 4 seconds of my previous best earlier, and gave up! Something clearly wrong there, and very annoying and frustrating. As I was using the same setup as the day before when I was loving driving this car.

I have NO IDEA now what to think about this thing
That means that this game is just freaking awsome! Name me another sim that where track and tyre temps make a HUGE difference in your driving?

This is why i simply love this game to bits.

Easy answer but..anyways..

As it is now the tyres dont work as they should be and dont make any diference in ur driving (at least in f3.5) cause they cool very fast dont know how u see diference Jonney.
U misanderstood cause lap by lap grip levels change.Dont know if happens this from the tyres that they "should" get wormer..cause they dont.Somehow i go faster lap by lap..

Also i noticed that for example in fast corners,lets say a left one..The weight goes to the right tyres and i watching them and they didnt get worm but they were staying steady..

grip level does change. ask most people here and they will tell you that you need to do 5-6 laps before your get more grip. plus try and do a session on your own with no AI. harder to keep warmer tyres on a track that barely increase in temp with just one car using it

Im saying the same Jonney.
The problem is that the numbers are wrong.Im talking about the screen that says about ur tyre temps.I know that there is a bug or something in the "live" tyre temp but i think also when pressing esc and watching temps are also wrong.Im playing a lot with tyre pressures but i dont see diference and i dont know from where it comes this "grip" lap after lap.

Grip levels change i agree, what i dont agree with is that its a scripted event or so it seems like. As it doesnt matter how many cars go arround the track the grip wil eventually come. I have not read much about it but its easy to figure out escpecially when you play off line and have controle on the number of cars driving, could be a place holder for now though not sure.

Grip levels change i agree, what i dont agree with is that its a scripted event or so it seems like. As it doesnt matter how many cars go arround the track the grip wil eventually come. I have not read much about it but its easy to figure out escpecially when you play off line and have controle on the number of cars driving, could be a place holder for now though not sure.

no thats not true. do 10+ laps on our own and you will hardly gain much grip. do just 5 laps in a session with 10+ other drivers and you will notice it. how is that scripted?

Have to say I am beginning to tire of the ridiculous difference between what you can do in a practice sesion to try and learn tracks and the staggering differnece in lap time and grip you get in a session online.

It pretty much makes any setup work you might do in offline mode redundant.

To be honost the more I play this BETA the more I dont like it. FRS is one of the most woefully inept cars I have ever driven, some of the crud on RFC is better.

60's cars are fun but noone drives them and Monaco chicane is a lottery every lap.

Meganes are alright but again the dead feeling from the steering and FFB just means you a re not really feeling the car, mostly trying to work out what the physics will let you do.

Sad really as it could be awesome.

Back to RF1 for me I am afraid.

Well i started a 20min praccy session ofline in the megane on mills innerloop, just about the same time most servers run. And at the end of the session i was doing mid to high 1:06's laps. Might be that i do not get most out of the car so i really hope iam wrong.

I will definatlly digg deeper into this. Thank you for replying with a different experience. :)

no thats not true. do 10+ laps on our own and you will hardly gain much grip. do just 5 laps in a session with 10+ other drivers and you will notice it. how is that scripted?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back