How do you prefer to change gear?

A big hello to the RD GTL Racers.

Having just got GTL for Christmas and having a quick go around some of the tracks, it struck me perhaps I should be using the H- shifter that came with my wheel, instead of the paddles, which just doesn't seem authentic.

So I thought I find out how the rest of you guys do it.

I'm still using the paddles out of habit, more than anything else. But with GTL I'm planning on going to the H shifter because it will seem much more realistic with these cars.

That's the reasoning behind my choice to use clutch and shifter,and since I'm starting afresh it'll be better to start out as I intend to carry on.

It's strange, because even though I drive a manual car everyday, I find it "difficult" in the sim. :laugh2:

H shifter and clutch, although I did cheat and buy a sim gear shifter a while a go. Feels much better. Maybe just because I practised it a lot, but GTL is a joy to be able brake later and shift from 4th to 2nd, giving the throttle a quick blip and catching the back end into the corner at the same time. When, on the odd occassion, it works there is no other feeling in sim racing like it.:dance2:

sequential shifter mode for me.
Here too. :good:

I can't get past the whole sitting behind a desk playing a game thing no matter how immersed I am or how much I'm enjoying myself, so worrying about h-pattern vs sequential is like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

But - I do prefer the stick to the paddles, and I use the clutch for starts. The paddles are my look left/right controls. I found that I was occasionally downshifting too fast with paddles ie I was out of control as it's so quick and easy just flicking down the gears, and ended up spinning with locked wheels in 1st rather than ready to turn in in 2nd or whatever. I just prefer the more positive movement requirement of the seq shifter.

I don't even use paddles in the formula cars.

• Matt Crouch

worrying about h-pattern vs sequential is like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

Where can I purchase tickets for this event?

Paddles I'm afraid. Shifter is a bit too noisy and I always end up confused when using it (although I'm sure some practice would solve that). These cars seem much less forgiving under engine breaking so I do have to be pretty careful with it.

• Nick Price

i use either H or paddles...

although i admit i only really use the H when driving mini's and stick to paddles for most others...

H-Shifter and clutch pedals all the way for me.

I understand Stuart's point about sitting behind a desk, but I like to make my sim racing as realistic as possible. I can't afford a genuine race car, or to compete in a racing series, so sim racing is as close as I can get, and using the H-shifter is more realistic than paddles in a car from the 60's or 70's (maybe less than 1% more realistic, but that's enough!).

I'm actually quite anal about it - if the car in real life has paddles, I'll use the paddles. If it has a sequential stick... you get the idea!

Using the H-shifter is considerably harder than using the paddles or the sequential shift, but that just means the rewards for getting it right are better. I've not driven a GT-40 in real life, but I'm guessing it's not easy to drive anyway!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.0%