How do you paint cars in AC?

I picked up the ASR Griiip G1, but it has only 3 basic different paint jobs. Are there ant other paint schemes available? If not how difficult is it to put together some very basic paint schemes?
I do have Photoshop but its only version 6.

Thats a pretty intense thread with lots and lots of things going on. I did take a look at the Google tutorial, but a lot of it didn't make much sense.
I'm more used to doing Photos in photoshop, but I figured how hard could it be ?:O_o:

I'm more used to doing Photos in photoshop, but I figured how hard could it be ?:O_o:

As with most things, it doesn't have to be very hard, but it can be if you make it hard.

Also you'll need to learn a few different things; 1) How to achieve what you want with your program (Photoshop) 2) Basics of applying 2D graphics to 3D models (not in terms of 3D modeling apps, but more in terms of understanding how things warp across complex surfaces) and 3) How to implement in AC.

A "how to skin" tutorial is borderline useless. All it will do is (maybe) teach you how to make that specific skin for that specific game in that specific way. There's a million different ways to do this stuff, and all of it starts with understanding the basic tools of you program, how they work and why they work the way they do. If you don't learn that, all you'll ever do is copy someone else; and then what's the point? I've been doing liveries for racing sims since the mid 90s and my methods have changed infinitely throughout that time. I probably don't go about most things in the same way as most other people, but I've developed my own methods that work for me - but that's the thing, I've learned how the tools work so I exploit them to work how I want to work.

For your program, if you don't know how to use it look for tutorials on its tools; a "how to make a skin" tutorial is not going to tell you how to make the livery you want to make. Generally speaking you'll need to be pretty competent with layers, layer styles and the pen tool, as well as understanding how to manipulate logos properly for best results (ideally you'll be using vector logos). Ultimately, if you can't use the program to create the design and don't put in the time to learn, then nothing else matters.

AC's system is pretty simple because you don't need to pack up any files or anything stupid; you literally make a folder for your skin and every texture file on the car can be replaced if you choose to by simply putting a .DDS with the correct name in the folder. When it comes to different surface finishes (matte, gloss, satin, metallic, etc) it's just a matter of using the correct colours in a different file.

So, with that mumbo-jumbo out of the way... Let's start here: How proficient are you with Photoshop? Can you draw your design with your current skillset, or do you need some help learning that part?

Actually what I was going to do was fairly simple like just changing color schemes. Keep the logos the same as in a series.
I'm Ok with Photoshop, but If there is a simpler program to use I'd be happy to try as well.
As I said I'm Ok with using Photoshop with pictures, but thats about it.

that s not really changed in 18yrs :D
adobe-photoshop-free-4.png

But seriously you miss a lot of functions making life easier

Gimp is not really easier than Photoshop in fact .... let's say it is user-friendlier ...

The simplest program I know for your purpose, just a basic skin as I may understand is:
Paint.net ...
it remains quite simple to learn, quite simple to use ... it gives the possibility to create different layers, it's able to open or save in different formats as the usual ones including psd, dds and TGA for example.

Actually what I was going to do was fairly simple like just changing color schemes. Keep the logos the same as in a series.
I'm Ok with Photoshop, but If there is a simpler program to use I'd be happy to try as well.
As I said I'm Ok with using Photoshop with pictures, but thats about it.

Do you mean you want to keep the logos the same as the existing skins, or you'll make your own logos and use the same ones on every car?

Yes keep the existing logos already on the skins and just change colours.Maybe I'll take a look at that Paint.net too

Depending on how the skins are set up right now, that could be tricky with the AO layer. I don't have the car (was a bit too pricey for me, being an unknown) so I can't have a look at them myself. If you shoot me a PM with a link to one of the livery DDS files I can take a peek and give a few pointers :)

What car do you want to skin? Most road car skins especially can be color changed very quickly just by duplicating an existing skin folder (so you don't overwrite existing content) and filling in the right info into the ui_skin.json file. Then just copy from any other car a file called "metal_detail.dds" and overwrite the existing one with that. If you don't have dds file viewer you can get one here: https://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_texture_viewer.html to see what colors they have.Or just look at the preview.jpg. When you find what you like copy it into your skin folder over the existing metal_detail.dds file. Done.

For example look at the bmw z4 car (\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bmw_z4\skins\jet_black) folder for example.
Just copy the metal_detail.dds to your car. Or copy a metal_detail from other car to the z4. The metal_detail.dds is always a simple color texture and can be copied and pasted between cars. You can copy that file from any other skin. Only requirement is that the original skin has a metal_detail.dds file in the skin folder. If it does not then the file is not probably used by that skin and it won't show up in game. The metal detail file also controls the shinyness of the car. Two red textures may have different shininess so if the color is right but too matte or reflective then just keep looking.

This copying works for every dds file but the other files from other cars have different layouts so if you want to change wheel colors for example look at different skin from same car.

I picked up the ASR Griiip G1
What car do you want to skin?
The metal_detail.dds is always a simple color texture
Not really true, there to simulare metalic paint (like his name said), they are many with alpha layer
example here with a kunos carSans titre-1.png
The metal detail file also controls the shinyness of the car.
The shinyness of the car is controled by the map but nice try

I think OP is completly lost now
(pm me the first lod of the car i skin it for you)

The shinyness of the car is controled by the map but nice try

It's a mix of both. In a Kunos shader set up (no guarantees all mod cars are set up the same) the map file controls specular strength, reflection blurriness and reflection strength. The detail file alpha controls specular falloff. That's how the metallic look is achieved; "flakes" with a much wider specular falloff than the rest of the paint, giving the impression of flakes in the paint.

The detail file isn't just for a metallic look, though; it's used to change the base colour of the car whether you want the car to be matte, glossy, satin or metallic, without having to have a large Diffuse texture just for a solid colour car.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%