How do isolate the vibrations from the Buttkicker as much as possible?

Hey all

The mrs isn't too fond of the vibrations from my new buttkicker so I bought some anti-vibration rubber pads and put them around my rig so that it's elevated. It helped a bit but it still wasn't good enough. I tried stacking 2 of the pads on top of each other, that helped. I then added on top of the rubber pads some foam gym floor mats and that has helped a bit more too.

But it's still not quiet enough! What else can I do here to try and reduce this noise and vibration as much as possible? I'd love to be able to crank it right up!

I've uploaded a few photos below of my setup. Any advice is appreciated!

Fine.

I look forward to reading the results of your experiments with the 4 examples and how you have used and fixed the materials between seat/seat subframe/pedals and rig frame.
Especially on maintaining rigidity so that standing on the brakes doesn't move the seat and pedals around.
I am not concerned with rig to floor isolation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fine.

I look forward to reading the results of your experiments with the 4 examples and how you have used and fixed the materials between seat/seat subframe/pedals and rig frame.
Especially on maintaining rigidity so that standing on the brakes doesn't move the seat and pedals around.
I am not concerned with rig to floor isolation.

Those are only examples of products and options to consider for the OP or anyone thats interested.

I'm building a custom rig for tactile so it has a custom isolation solution but part of that is controlling the path of how/where the tactile flows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great. Tell us how you have achieved it?

And your 4 examples are great for stationary use or lining to absorb sound, say between a rig and floor. I've used such sheet material to make a very quiet generator housing.
But they have no use for acoustic decoupling involving any shear force. If you have found a way to use a small area of sheet material to resist a shear force, eg under a seat or pedal mount, then it will be great to hear about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great. Tell us how you have achieved it?

And your 4 examples are great for stationary use or lining to absorb sound, say between a rig and floor. I've used such sheet material to make a very quiet generator housing.
But they have no use for acoustic decoupling involving any shear force. If you have found a way to use a small area of sheet material to resist a shear force, eg under a seat or pedal mount, then it will be great to hear about.

By your own report, your losing approx 50% of the energy going into your seat, so that CAN be better contained.
If we reduce the contact area from decoupled surface and main base frame. You are doing that with the isolators, basic that they are but you are not using any additional materials to help reduce the leakage into the main rig frame.

As stated, different frequencies can be absorbed/reduced with the appropriate materials designed to reduce them

You could apply such materials in between the isolator brackets and the main rig frame.
Do that and then compare with the vibe app/water tests, you should see improvements.

I am waiting on parts arriving which are preventing me in furthering my build with regards the isolation it uses.
Im using 3 different compounds in isolators within 8mm aluminum sandwich forming my isolation towers. Then the plates have 3 layers of different dampening (materials shown) applied underneath each 8mm plate. The seat/pedals are on steel tubing frames that act as independent islands. This restricts stereo cross-talk with the tactile and 3 dual isolator towers per side support these islands. So the top tier of the rig is well decoupled from the main rig frame.

I attempt to further contain the vibrational energy into the bottom tier of the frame of the rig as each of these 6xtowers are supported with only 4 bolts to further reduce the contact surface area. Finally, the rig is on the industrial rubber wheels but the wheel housing section also has the 3 layers of dampening materials applied as a further dampening solution.

If needed I will then place under the rubber mats sound deadening underlay on top of the room's wooden flooring and this may be required as each corner of the rig above the region of the wheels, supports its own 12" subwoofer.

Its an extensive multi-solution, not like any rig before has used but this is because the level of tactile I will be using is not like other rigs. Also, I am seeking to best reduce as possible vibes traveling from an upstairs bedroom going into a living room below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
>
You could apply such materials in between the isolator brackets and the main rig frame.
Do that and then compare with the vibe app/water tests, you should see improvements.

Yes. But is it going to be a slim solution.

>Im using 3 different compounds in isolators within 8mm aluminum sandwich forming my isolation towers. Then the plates have 3 layers of different dampening (materials shown) applied underneath each 8mm plate. The seat/pedals are on steel tubing frames that act as independent islands. This restricts stereo cross-talk with the tactile and 3 dual isolator towers per side support these islands. So the top tier of the rig is well decoupled from the main rig frame.

Umm. Think a picture/diagram would explain well.

Upvote 0
>

Yes. But is it going to be a slim solution.

>Im using 3 different compounds in isolators within 8mm aluminum sandwich forming my isolation towers. Then the plates have 3 layers of different dampening (materials shown) applied underneath each 8mm plate. The seat/pedals are on steel tubing frames that act as independent islands. This restricts stereo cross-talk with the tactile and 3 dual isolator towers per side support these islands. So the top tier of the rig is well decoupled from the main rig frame.

Umm. Think a picture/diagram would explain well.

A thread will come, showcasing my journey with the build.

Upvote 0
This shows a mock-up of one of the towers using dual 8mm plates and 3 compounds of isolators.
These are approx 11"x7" and approx 4.5" tall. 6 are used to support the upper tier of the cockpits seat/pedal regions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back