How do I turn off shadows completely

Setting world details lower will remove grass (iirc 80% goes away from max to 2nd highest, 15% more at another step, then all of it 3 steps down)

All you can do on shadows is lower the resolution, that makes them less pixely.

They are giving me eye strain - I have read other threads but the information seems outdated.
Could anyone please show me how to turn them all off?

Thanks
The Content Manager program has a setting to disable shadows. Unfortunately it gives a "circle of darkness" effect which moves with the car. Not really usable.
Settings/Assetto Corsa/Video/Shadow resolution/OFF

I also find the flickering shadows very annoying. I was using cloudy conditions, but I've found a solution - Sparse Grid Supersampling (NVidia GPU).

Assetto Corsa
Options/Display/Anti-Aliasing Samples = 4x
Shadow Resolution = High (You can change this)

NVidia Profile Inspector
DaXUj1x.jpg

The settings for Anti-Aliasing Samples and Sparse Grid Supersampling must match e.g. 2x 2x or 4x 4x. I find that 4x 4x looks better on my 1440p monitor

Antialising - Mode must be Enhance the application setting not override.

Sparse Grid Supersampling using a lot of GPU power. I'm using a GTX 970, so I need to turn down some of the AC's other settings to get good FPS, but I'd much rather have good tree shadows.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/nvidia-profile-inspector-download,1.html

***** EDIT *****
Sparse Grid Supersampling can be lower than Anti-Aliasing Samples.
See post #14.

Last edited:
Thanks Stereo - that's strange though and must have changed in a recent build.
I'm only talking about official stuff, there's always been an unofficial workaround that sets the shadow properties way outside of normal user preferences so that they're never visible while driving. iirc you set the distance between objects before shadows start casting very high. It doesn't turn off shadow rendering though and probably leads to random artifacts when the track happens to have objects in the right place.

O yes these were unofficial hacks in the .ini files.

To the very point you mention - there was even one that did indeed turn off the rendering completely because even "apparently disabling them" still meant they were rendered and hence used up CPU. But I've tried those same hacks now and they don't work any more.

I've tried Richard's settings and they work like a dream....but I get very bad frame rates (my CPU isnt the greatest) so I'll just play when the sun is not shining :)

Go to Program Files(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Assettocorsa/system/cfg and open up the graphics.ini then change the three SHADOW_MAP_BIAS settings to be 1.000000 and save.

Voila no shadows
Tried that, doesn't work since a few patches now ;)
There is a thread about it at the official forums where I read that some weeks ago.
It's a shame and I now use the shadow-patcher instead. Not pretty but for serious racing I don't need shadows :)
And it's only a double click so for reply watching etc I re-enable them quickly!

The settings for Anti-Aliasing Samples and Sparse Grid Supersampling must match e.g. 2x 2x or 4x 4x.

Sorry - After further reading, I've found that this part of my post is incorrect.
It should be - Sparse Grid Supersampling must match or be lower than Anti-Aliasing Samples.

I am now using:
Anti-Aliasing Samples 4x
Sparse Grid Supersampling 2x.
This is not quite as good at curing flickering tree shadows, but the FPS hit is a lot less.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back