FM7 How do I optimize this game?

Forza Motorsport 7 (Turn 10 Studios)
Just bought FM7 but the game constantly freezes. I started the driver cup single player thingy and at first it went okay. When I was asked to buy a car for the hot hatch race, the menu constantly freezes when I browse through the "designs". When I open the 2016 Honda Civic Type R designs, the left-right scrolling menu is all blank. Then I did a test drive on the first track, and when the achievement unlocked notification pops up the game freezes again. When I change camera the game also freezes. I had to alt-tab a few times to confirm that the game is still running.

Any tips? I assumed it was the graphics settings, but the options are a bit overwhelming, and I have no idea what exactly "dynamic" means for all the options. Does anyone know which options will give me performance hit the most? Thanks in advance.

Unless you are Turn10 you can't do much about the menu. It's just janky as heck in the PC port and you can't really influence its performance with settings. As far as actual on track performance goes, the game makes very good use of your GPU resources and unless you run a really weak setup, the default dynamic settings should work. The dynamic settings change the graphical quality of the game on the fly to keep your FPS at ~60. If you want better performance than what you are getting with the dynamic settings then you should decrease the resolution.

First of all, what hardware do you have?

PS. You can just set option of rendering into DYNAMIC and QUALITY to SUGGESTED instead of ULTRA.
Oops I thought I put down my hardware specs. Xeon E3 1230v3, GTX 970, 16 GB ram. It seems that everything was defaulted at either dynamic or suggested. It is quite frustrating because at times the game runs smooth, but when I am browsing the car collection menu and when I switch cameras in game (to check out the beautiful scenery) the game freezes so heavily that it is not playable for me :(

Unless you are Turn10 you can't do much about the menu. It's just janky as heck in the PC port and you can't really influence its performance with settings. As far as actual on track performance goes, the game makes very good use of your GPU resources and unless you run a really weak setup, the default dynamic settings should work. The dynamic settings change the graphical quality of the game on the fly to keep your FPS at ~60. If you want better performance than what you are getting with the dynamic settings then you should decrease the resolution.
If I set graphics to dynamic, does the game try to adjust intelligently trying to hit that target?

Quick update: Well I manually lowered most of the graphics settings to medium or lower, now the freezing menus and freezing camera change seem to have gone, but I know my PC can handle more... Trying this game really gives me no confidence in running the next Forza Horizon game on my PC :(

Xeon E3 1230v3 has a 3.3GHz per core and 3.7GHz in Turbo for two cores? It is i7 Hasswell with Xeon branding.

Strange... because I have i7-6700K and RX470 and of course, menu freezes for second from time to time, but game works without any problems.

Maybe the CPU is too weak?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years