How do I get rid of flicker/shimmer in AC?

I'm using Content Manager and CSP and have a PC that easily runs AC at ultra (well, for hotlapping, anyway, which is what I do mostly).

No matter how I fiddle with the myriad of graphics settings exposed in CM, I always have more flicker/shimmer than I want and than I see in various YouTube videos. The best example is the barriers and fencing on the left side of historic Monza after you round the Parabolica. When I drive there I see shimmery striping on the barriers and flickering in the fences.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, thanks.

Lower AF and lower shadow quality are some options. As long as the relevant shadow quality improvements in CSP are enabled, lower overall quality will just make them blurry. (without the csp stuff it'll kinda crawl around as the camera moves)

Last edited:
I have torn my hair out going through different configurations to eliminate the Shimmering on fences. FXAA on/off, PP Filters, AMD FX settings, nVidia settings for AA, Super sampling in Stream VR. There just does not seem to be a path forward to make this go away. It occurs on tracks like Imola, SPA etc. Anyone got the magic answer, please share.

1640949137402.png

1640949296659.png

this might be too much:
1640951126136.png

Last edited:
Are these settings getting you past the shimmering fences? What is your configuration please of Headset and Graphic card?
Tell us first VR/monitor user and what are your hardware specs.
I am using an HP Reverb G2 with a 3080 graphic card and Ryzen 7 3800 XT. My goal is to also maintain an FPS of close to 90. I set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x in nVidia control panel and have it turned off in-game.

One of the next thing on my TODO list is to try this: https://www.racedepartment.com/down...her-fixed-with-new-update-ac-1-16-4-v5.36629/

Last edited:
Are these settings getting you past the shimmering fences? What is your configuration please of Headset and Graphic card?

I am using an HP Reverb G2 with a 3080 graphic card and Ryzen 7 3800 XT. My goal is to also maintain an FPS of close to 90. I set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x in nVidia control panel and have it turned off in-game.

One of the next thing on my TODO list is to try this: https://www.racedepartment.com/down...her-fixed-with-new-update-ac-1-16-4-v5.36629/
yes, most of all the last setting with "might be too much" is getting rid of most the flickering
single screen on AMD RX480 ;(

Last edited:
I personally just decided to disable Extra FX completely. Too much hassle for a very marginal gain (well in this case, it actually made the image worse with the constant shimmering/flicker).

Might try and optimize things a bit later by disabling/tweaking individual settings. My guess is on TAA/sharpening. Or some issue with local reflections since you can see this on the windscreen when in motion (looks like shadows from the blades of a rotating fan). I can also see my car ghosting in replays.

Edit: Looks like it's TAA. Disabled that and left other settings under ExtraFX untouched and am now seeing significantly less shimmering.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 324 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 223 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years