F1 2017 How did a F2002 mod from AC end up in F1 2017???

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Codemasters will probably just say "coincidence". Go away. Our lawyers are better than yours.:whistling:

These comments defending codemasters... That’s not how it works. Let two top modelers make this car with the same idea and it will still have a completely different wireframe.

I say its impossible that whatever artist ended up with that same mesh topology by accident - that product released by Codemasters contains your model.

But I'm also sure Codemasters was unaware of this. They probably paid some free lance artist for the model, either he or Codemaster did some rework, but from what I see in the screenshots there has been very little change. Subdivision has been changed at places, but the general vertice placement is the same.

How you should go on about this... I'm have no idea how much money is normally exchanged for a model like this. I see a realistic chance that you would receive unpleasant mail from Codemasters or rather Ferrari lawyers if you try reaching someone in person, but stirring something on social media, reddit, twitter while under your @SalamanderSoldier alias... I don't know. Do we have any real lawyers on this forum?

Well here's the reply I got:
F2002_my_007.jpg

This is really a bummer if true, but I'm not really 100% sure it's the same model. I'm not calling anyone a liar by any means, I just think maybe we're jumping the gun here.

w6SKHh5.png

There are a ton of similarities, yes, but after all they're identical vehicles. The whole goal of 3D modelling something like this is being as accurate to the real car as you can while using the least amount of polygons necessary. I mean both artists are obviously quite experienced in modelling so how many different ways would you expect them to model identical shapes?

There are also areas that have massive differences, check the images of the sidepod for example, they are completely different.

dFpied4.png

GsSuOaY.png

WXE2xmi.png

Why would they make any of these changes if they were just planning on stealing the model? Also what incentive would they have to steal a community model and risk the backlash? To save time? If that were the case why did they make such significant changes to the model? To save money? Once again, someone had to make those changes, so someone was obviously paid for their work. How much money could they have saved? Also they still would have needed to do the work involved with the cars physics, paint schemes, etc...

Again, I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything like that, just maybe rushing to conclusions a little hastily.
Na man , its preference on optimizing mesh ,
its clearly 100% the same model , but where salamander made some choices to end edges , shamfers ect they saw it different , again there preference , its the exact same model which ever way you look at it .

its impossible to recreate a car mm perfect shape with every single polygon , edge , shamfer , vertices in exact same position would take twice longer to make and still would not be that accurate ,

they never even made a scratch made car and used it as reference , its so clear to see , its the exact same car whats inside AC currently with a few hrs optimizing the car and thats it , maybe 1 days work :D

There are a ton of similarities, yes, but after all they're identical vehicles. The whole goal of 3D modelling something like this is being as accurate to the real car as you can while using the least amount of polygons necessary. I mean both artists are obviously quite experienced in modelling so how many different ways would you expect them to model identical shapes?

There are also areas that have massive differences, check the images of the sidepod for example, they are completely different.

Something like 80% of the mesh is the same, this can not happen by coincidence. Your overlay basically proves conclusive proof, the areas that are different simply look like mesh optimisation, adding/removing certain details, very simple stuff and not at all proof that its a different model.

Get two of the best modellers to make the same car. The end result should be almost indistinguishable, but the wireframe will definitely not, they will be vastly different. Any suggestion that "both trying to recreate the same car, of course they look similar...", is total BS, as any modeller would know.

Well here's the reply I got:View attachment 218873

Wow, "provided excellent reference" my arse. That's your model with some minor tweaking applied... I used a CAD model 'as reference', that doesn't mean my poly flow is in any way similar.

And the "gesture of good will" is not at all acceptable compensation. Don't think anyone from Codemasters would be too happy if I were to go an steal a car out of their car park, even if I were to offer a 'good will' cheque in the post a few months later...
This offer of payment after the fact they stole your model sounds a lot to me like them trying to dissuade you from taking legal action.

Yes that's my model, I modified some parts that are not in the Mod version.
Yeah they must have bought it before man , check the sales if it shows you , there breaching the terms and conditions , nightmare to optimize triangles no one would do it , only way they added your car was with the original quad version in which is on TS

1ST LINE
4e35feb6e1039cb2c9931b921a49d955.png

How disheartening as a modder to see talented individuals putting incredible amounts of time and effort into projects for the community, just to see them being torn away by large companies as if it were nothing.

As one ghastly orange man once said; "Sad." :(

It's a common practice between us 3D artists to use another model as reference to do our own, but that's all there is to it, just reference, like a "3D blueprint". NOT stealing the geometry and making minor modifications to it to call it their own.

Some of the comments supporting Codemasters here are so ignorant to say the least, they'll make me fill up the ignore list very quickly. Most unbelievable is the response you've got from them.

*insert cursing and forbidden words here*
Codemasters...

How disheartening as a modder to see talented individuals putting incredible amounts of time and effort into projects for the community, just to see them being torn away by large companies as if it were nothing.

As one ghastly orange man once said; "Sad." :(
Shocking man , totally!!

Something like 80% of the mesh is the same, this can not happen by coincidence. Your overlay basically proves conclusive proof, the areas that are different simply look like mesh optimisation, adding/removing certain details, very simple stuff and not at all proof that its a different model.

Get two of the best modellers to make the same car. The end result should be almost indistinguishable, but the wireframe will definitely not, they will be vastly different. Any suggestion that "both trying to recreate the same car, of course they look similar...", is total BS, as any modeller would know.

Wow, "provided excellent reference" my arse. That's your model with some minor tweaking applied... I used a CAD model 'as reference', that doesn't mean my poly flow is in any way similar.

And the "gesture of good will" is not at all acceptable compensation. Don't think anyone from Codemasters would be too happy if I were to go an steal a car out of their car park, even if I were to offer a 'good will' cheque in the post a few months later...
This offer of payment after the fact they stole your model sounds a lot to me like them trying to dissuade you from taking legal action.
Yeah exactly and the little pep talk at the end ,
oh and by the way your work is excellent bla bla , trying to sweet talk the guy and offer him peanuts , they make me sick ,

Turbosquid take like 50% of earnings , so a 160 dollar car you be lucky if you got 80 from it , most likely 70 dollars to have your car stolen and put in one of the most downloaded racing titles is a joke to say the least ,

the guy wants compensating correctly and paid as if he was working for codemasters .

Looks like some freelancer who works for Codemasters saved some time. Did somebody look whether there are other cases of identical models? Maybe somebody should look whether f.e. the McLaren MP4/4 is stolen too.

Looks like some freelancer who works for Codemasters saved some time. Did somebody look whether there are other cases of identical models? Maybe somebody should look whether f.e. the McLaren MP4/4 is stolen too.
Used to be Bugmasters , now its known as Thugmasters , dont leave your cars laying about they be gone like the wind :D

Tell CM that you are taking them to court unless you are compensated a % of F1 2017's profit.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%