How are Asus boards these days?

A long time ago I gave up on Asus because I had multiple flawed boards and the US warranty would just mix and watch and send us each other's returned boards without testing.

I just discovered that the MSI board (that replaced the ASRock that died for no reason) is not SLI capable and I want to fix that. The MSI board has a flaw that is deadly to me - the "restart after power loss - always on" option doesn't work, so I am open to other vendors. Gigabyte was powering my previous board and that was unreliable on restart.

I want to keep my CPU, otherwise I'd move to Xeon board. So I wonder whether I should give Asus another shot?

Any recommendations? SLI capable board with working "always on on restore power", 1151 for 8th generation i7 9700k. I generally prefer fewer features and more PCIe slots. "Killer" network can go to hell, too.

I should clarify that I am not asking whether Asus service stopped sending out shuffled returned boards without testing. That would be unrealistic (at least in the US).

The question is how many flawed boards they send out newly made in the first place.

I have had very good luck with Asus. My last 4 builds have all been Asus. My last build had a difficult issue, but I eventually tracked it down to a faulty driver not the motherboard. I would not say I am loyal to Asus but if they have a product with the feature content I seek at a competitive price, they definitely make my short list.

I have had very good luck with Asus. My last 4 builds have all been Asus. My last build had a difficult issue, but I eventually tracked it down to a faulty driver not the motherboard. I would not say I am loyal to Asus but if they have a product with the feature content I seek at a competitive price, they definitely make my short list.

If I understand you correctly you got working boards in the first place, you didn't have to deal with their so-called service?

Sounds good enough to me. I am unlikely to RMA any board to any consumer company, I just has the problems with getting too many boards from Asus that were bad in the first place. But that was 10 years ago or so.

• Deleted member 197115

Haven't dealt with their service, but ASUS ROG are known to be the best around. Have few builds on those myself.
Which specific lineup/model did you have issues with, they are using lower grade components in cheaper ones.

If I understand you correctly you got working boards in the first place, you didn't have to deal with their so-called service?
As luck would have it, I did contact them because at first I could not tell if it was a BIOS problem or a software problem. They were willing to take the board back provided I tried all 25 things they wanted me to try. I was not willing to do that. Instead I dug in with the Windows Performance Toolkit and isolated the faulty software myself. The MB was good, so in the end, both I and ASUS, were happy.

I came across an ASRock board that happened to fit everything I want. I hope it lasts longer than the first one. Asus board did in the end not enter the last phase of choices since they were needlessly (to me) expensive. This is a gaming-only computer.

ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING SLI/ac LGA

I'll keep you folks updated.

I came across an ASRock board that happened to fit everything I want. I hope it lasts longer than the first one. Asus board did in the end not enter the last phase of choices since they were needlessly (to me) expensive. This is a gaming-only computer.

ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING SLI/ac LGA

I'll keep you folks updated.

Right. So. Here is how that went:
  • Thingie does not reboot when you hit F10 out of the BIOS to save and reboot. It does remember the BIOS setting, but you need to powercycle.
  • Windows boot takes 20 minutes. Still not too unusual, it seems. https://www.google.com/search?q=win.....69i57j0l5.5399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • I hear a pop and smell burning out of one of my 980 Ti cards. Remember I am only changing the mainboard to get SLI so that I can use them both.

The fried card is the one I have been using for a while, so I blame the board. The board was clearly defective as it arrived.

On the bright side, I could now go back to the MSI board (no SLI), since I don't have a second card anymore.

I'll post photos of the blown GPU chip, and the heatsink it sank its teeth in.

Never heard of one that was so unlucky with all the motherboards you have had..
Of the +10 motherboards I have had in the last 25 years I have only had one with problems (asus) and it was only sometimes it messed up at startup so I chose to live with it..

Never had an issue with Asus boards, apart from a busted ethernet port, but that was due to an electrical storm that also took out my router. They are always my first choice board. A friend who runs a computer store always recommends them as he sees the least warranty returns on them.

Both of you misunderstand.

Most of the Asus boards I got were fine.

But when they were not it was practically impossible to get a working board out of their service.

ASRock on the other hand seems to be actual garbage.

well dont use a "modern" grafics card in Asus Tuf Gaming 570-Plus ;)
its bios wouldnt boot nvidia RTX20x0, RTX10x0 bc they don't have a non-uefi-mode

maybe dont buy a AMD-board from them

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing