How accurate is Assetto Corsa?

...then you got to practice much more. It took me some time to be able to drive Schumachers Pole and race times in his F2004. A lot of people are even faster than he has was in real life. I guess both is because of no G-force on the neck, the arms, the body, the other one is how much these cars shake in reality (watch youtube onboards) plus you are sitting warm, safe and cozy and these guys are risking their health if not their lives. But being 5sec slower means you are slow.

Also consider that driving real life best lap times with the generic standard setup is next to impossible, at least on tracks such as Monza or Spa, because you would be lacking top speed.

...then you got to practice much more. It took me some time to be able to drive Schumachers Pole and race times in his F2004. A lot of people are even faster than he has was in real life. I guess both is because of no G-force on the neck, the arms, the body, the other one is how much these cars shake in reality (watch youtube onboards) plus you are sitting warm, safe and cozy and these guys are risking their health if not their lives. But being 5sec slower means you are slow.

Also consider that driving real life best lap times with the generic standard setup is next to impossible, at least on tracks such as Monza or Spa, because you would be lacking top speed.

They are faster because they put only 10 C ambient temperature. So, the tyres dont go on red temperatures with ideal pressure. Most race weekends on F1 are on summer, the conditions are different.

So, F1 drivers really have to deal all the things you mentioned and still they can drive the cars on the limit. Yes, they are good. That is why they are there and not these hotlappers on internet.

I did 1:49:640 at SPA

I was comparing my time with the official lap record which is a race lap record.

1:46.286 by Valtteri Bottas

The fastest lap ever recorded is 5 seconds faster.

1:41.501 by Sebastian Vettel

I'm 8 seconds off :S

Last edited:
Kunos cars with high downforce (all of them) are not particularly accurate... AC is very accurate when its capabilities are fully utilized though.

Big shame about this. Its strange that kunos put out so money, oops I mean *many* DLC cars and didn't bother to get them right. Out of curiousity what cars do you consider to be "very accurate"? (other than your own presumably).

Big shame about this. Its strange that kunos put out so money, oops I mean *many* DLC cars and didn't bother to get them right. Out of curiousity what cars do you consider to be "very accurate"? (other than your own presumably).
Well, even for my own cars, only one that’s been released can be classified as “very accurate” (Oreca - and even then, I barely had any aero data for that car). Some private work and some upcoming public work (delays, delays, delays) of mine also fits that category though.

David (RSS, etc.) does very good work, but hasn’t *technically* done any real cars as of late. Jason (aphidgod) also does nice work, though he works more with road cars and therefore doesn’t really need to bother with aero or large tire load variations (two areas where Kunos cars often suffer). As far as Kunos cars...the less possible load variation, the better. Hard to pick out the specifics of which are the best as I don’t have data for everything. But it’s easy to generalize the worst of the bunch: high downforce cars.

And it’s not usually a question of “not bothering” to get them right...they work on a limited timeframe and can’t spend a lot of time on each car. Couple that with some (IMO) judgment flaws in educated guessing and you get inaccuracies.

Edit: It’s also worth noting that lap times are not a particularly good measure of accuracy. The Kunos F1 in the video linked in the post above, for instance, has roughly 75% of the downforce of the real car (and that might even be on the high side, I don’t recall the exact value. A low-end estimate would be about 65%).

Even if any sim was 100% accurate and managed somehow to perfectly match all car, track, atmospheric and weather real-world parameters, why would any bedroom hobbyist assume that they should be able to match world records set by professional drivers who have come up through the ranks to reach the pinnacle of their sport, and whose whole worlds (and support networks) revolve around them perfecting their race craft and shaving hundredths of seconds off lap times? Surely this is an unrealistic, even arrogant expectation..?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%