Horsma Raceway

Tracks Horsma Raceway 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hi!
I noticed that objects are pop in inside a scene which is very distracting. Will you in the next update going to fix it?
That's caused by the lodout values for some objects (distance at which they appear) and it becomes worse if you use bigger fov. The update should fix a lot of them but I need to be careful because if you set the lodout too high it starts eating performance with the more complex objects drawn when they are not needed.

On the subject of bumps, I think this section needs to be smoothed out some--it's the only part of the track where the bumps are too excessive, and in mid-engine cars, especially some Porsches, the car bucks violently at high speed. In VR, the experience is mind-rattling to say the least, or almost nauseating in some cars.

Over this rise, under the foot bridge, and just before the next bend, it's just too much in some cars.

Screenshot_bmw_m1_procar_ghoults_horsma_22-7-119-2-46-34.jpg

I think I'll do two small changes with the bumps for the next small patch. Or let's say adjust them in two places. One place is before turn 1 and one is after the bridge as show in the image above. The bumps are extremely similar to each other with their profile and feel a bit repetitive and dull because of that. And they are big enough so it is easy to notice that. That being said the rough area under the bridge and straight after it is sort of intentional although a bit extreme. It is the sort of place where you may think "this is just a road that turns a little bit, should be easy flatout". But it isn't. You really need to focus on being smooth to get through alive there in some cars with not the best suspension. So little bit of reprofiling and little bit of adjustment.

The section still most definitely needs some undulations and surface features--a perfectly smooth section wouldn't match the character of the whole track. I like our smaller "motorsport ranch" track nearby because it is "worn" and challenging to drive, otherwise, because it was built in a flat coastal plain area, it would be very boring.

On the other hand, driving the new Circuit of the Americas is smooth and fluid with a lot of elevation and camber changes... but it can get a little boring after a full track day. It's also very hard on cars, brakes, and tires for different reasons--very high speeds, a lot of g-forces, and very hard braking. Its not surprising to hear that someone broke a suspension or frame component during a track day.

The section still most definitely needs some undulations and surface features--a perfectly smooth section wouldn't match the character of the whole track. I like our smaller "motorsport ranch" track nearby because it is "worn" and challenging to drive, otherwise, because it was built in a flat coastal plain area, it would be very boring.

On the other hand, driving the new Circuit of the Americas is smooth and fluid with a lot of elevation and camber changes... but it can get a little boring after a full track day. It's also very hard on cars, brakes, and tires for different reasons--very high speeds, a lot of g-forces, and very hard braking. Its not surprising to hear that someone broke a suspension or frame component during a track day.
I believe a smooth layout it will be much appreciated (my arms will be very happy :roflmao:)
Jokes aside, those bumps limits kind of car that could race in. Those layouts are one of the best I ever seen for a fantasy track, but IMHO it would be so niche because of this :unsure:

I believe a smooth layout it will be much appreciated (my arms will be very happy :roflmao:)
Jokes aside, those bumps limits kind of car that could race in. Those layouts are one of the best I ever seen for a fantasy track, but IMHO it would be so niche because of this :unsure:
What kind of cars can't you race on this track tho? I've driven group c cars (difficult but doable), all the slower road cars are fine, gt3s are pretty easy out of the box. The new ier porsche mod works fine imho as well. You'd need to adjust suspension as you would for any bumpy track. Same with the ier Oreca FLM09 car. It works pretty well once you make the suspension softer and raise it up so it doesn't bottom out. The rss ngt cars work out of the box also. The super supercars like zonda r also felt fine. Only tricky cars are yellowbird and ferrari f40 s1 but those are challenging everywhere. Obviously the track is not very well suited for the cars like lotus 98t or modern f1 (I'd guess).

I have some small changes in the bumps in the upcoming patch on couple of places. The patch is taking a bit longer than I anticipated. I thought it was out last saturday but I have still an issue with the rsr plugin that I can't work out. I don't want to sound like "it is going to stay as it is because I say so" but I've driven the track a lot and I still feel like once you get over the initial shock and maybe adjust the suspension a bit 99% of the cars are drivable fast. Some of the bumps are meant to be difficult so you need to put in some work to handle them.

What kind of cars can't you race on this track tho? I've driven group c cars (difficult but doable), all the slower road cars are fine, gt3s are pretty easy out of the box. The new ier porsche mod works fine imho as well. You'd need to adjust suspension as you would for any bumpy track. Same with the ier Oreca FLM09 car. It works pretty well once you make the suspension softer and raise it up so it doesn't bottom out. The rss ngt cars work out of the box also. The super supercars like zonda r also felt fine. Only tricky cars are yellowbird and ferrari f40 s1 but those are challenging everywhere. Obviously the track is not very well suited for the cars like lotus 98t or modern f1 (I'd guess).

I have some small changes in the bumps in the upcoming patch on couple of places. The patch is taking a bit longer than I anticipated. I thought it was out last saturday but I have still an issue with the rsr plugin that I can't work out. I don't want to sound like "it is going to stay as it is because I say so" but I've driven the track a lot and I still feel like once you get over the initial shock and maybe adjust the suspension a bit 99% of the cars are drivable fast. Some of the bumps are meant to be difficult so you need to put in some work to handle them.
If you do give in to the flat-earthers mate you could preserve the original bumpy track and release the smoother 'resurfaced' ribbons as separate layouts. That way, everyone's happy.
Maybe do them in different eras, say 1970s for the neglected & weathered bumpy track and 1990s for the newer resurfaced track?
Just an idea.

I'm definitely not "giving in". I think some of the bumps being kind of repetitive is a valid criticism and fixing it makes the track better.

Different eras though. I'm not into that. Making just the road surface different is not worth it at all imho as you basically end up with multiple almost identical versions of the track. To do it properly I'd have to change the corners a bit or a lot too to reflect how the track has changed over time and that is basically new track for each era. I just don't see the point in that.

Forget different eras then, but 'original' and 'resurfaced' options could still work.
Personally I love Horsma just the way it is, but quite a few people seem to want a smoother version too for some reason.

Man I thought this track was a little to smooth.
the flow, and the variable height and camber are wonderful.
I would have expected a little more loss of stability and traction due to bumpy surface.
Thanks for this track

Forget different eras then, but 'original' and 'resurfaced' options could still work.
Personally I love Horsma just the way it is, but quite a few people seem to want a smoother version too for some reason.
Original and resurfaced is still basically the same track with very minor changes for the player but requires big changes to make it happen for me. Having one more version of the track with resurfaced smoother newer tarmac would also require me to edit all kerbs and quite a few other textures so the texturing and shading matches at the seams of different objects. And instead of 3 layouts we would now have 6. If I later make a rain version I'd end up with 12 layouts. All very annoying when literally every fix later on would need to be done for two almost identical tracks.

Inside blender I'd basically need to create two versions of all objects that are on tarmac or touching tarmac. This includes all 2d and 3d grass as well and even things like walls and poles in some places. As the 3d grass objects sit on the roadside grass they are effected by the road bumpiness. If there is a bump at the edge of the road that moves the road 2cm down then the grass at the edge of the road also moves down 2cm which moves the the 3d grass and walls. And if those are not moved then they levitate. Visual tarmac also needs its shape adjusted because it needs to match the physical road surface. Otherwise cars levitate or sink in the tarmac at places. Sure there are ways around all of this but it is all just more work and I really don't see the point.

I think the bumpiness discussion is getting more attention because I keep replying to those posts and as such I keep the discussion alive. Looking at the reviews there are more people who see the bumps more as a positive than negative. I think valid points have been made about the bumpiness in couple areas on the track but in the end if there are two people who find the track too bumpy in the reviews (and they are fine to have that opinion) I don't really think it means I should change anything. In the end it is fictional track and as such it has characteristics that some like and some don't.

Original and resurfaced is still basically the same track with very minor changes for the player but requires big changes to make it happen for me. Having one more version of the track with resurfaced smoother newer tarmac would also require me to edit all kerbs and quite a few other textures so the texturing and shading matches at the seams of different objects. And instead of 3 layouts we would now have 6. If I later make a rain version I'd end up with 12 layouts. All very annoying when literally every fix later on would need to be done for two almost identical tracks.

Inside blender I'd basically need to create two versions of all objects that are on tarmac or touching tarmac. This includes all 2d and 3d grass as well and even things like walls and poles in some places. As the 3d grass objects sit on the roadside grass they are effected by the road bumpiness. If there is a bump at the edge of the road that moves the road 2cm down then the grass at the edge of the road also moves down 2cm which moves the the 3d grass and walls. And if those are not moved then they levitate. Visual tarmac also needs its shape adjusted because it needs to match the physical road surface. Otherwise cars levitate or sink in the tarmac at places. Sure there are ways around all of this but it is all just more work and I really don't see the point.

I think the bumpiness discussion is getting more attention because I keep replying to those posts and as such I keep the discussion alive. Looking at the reviews there are more people who see the bumps more as a positive than negative. I think valid points have been made about the bumpiness in couple areas on the track but in the end if there are two people who find the track too bumpy in the reviews (and they are fine to have that opinion) I don't really think it means I should change anything. In the end it is fictional track and as such it has characteristics that some like and some don't.
Well said!

Rain version is not needed with Sol 1.3 coming soon

Rain version is not needed with Sol 1.3 coming soon
Is there any info on what it will include? I assume not just lowered grip all around with some visual wet effects?

It is possible for the track creator to create somewhat convincing puddles and tie in the visual stuff with actual grip and also create a wet line that provides more grip off the normal line.

It would be great if this will be the case for the CSP wet stuff but if not a track creator wet version might be more enjoyable :thumbsup:

Personally when I evoked the idea of creating versions at different times, it was just an idea and I had not yet tested the mod.

After testing the circuit, that's what I told myself it's too much work to redo a more modern version of cicruit, 3 layouts long enough it's for sure it takes work.

It may be a good idea to make a circuit at two different times of the early 1990's style and a second nowadays for another mod fictitious circuit a project of another person or by you, with only one layout is better.

You are right to keep the circuit as you did he is great, especially if you added a vesion Wet later.

For my part it will be a pleasure to see the future update for your job Horsma Raceway.

• Deleted member 197115

Bumps are fine even with DD wheel, not sure why all the complaints, perhaps too much Road Effects in settings.
Performance is great in VR, except some corners like corkscrew that could use a bit more optimization.
Great mod, thanks. Too bad it's just a fantasy track. Some real historic one could have been a better value.

Is there any info on what it will include? I assume not just lowered grip all around with some visual wet effects?

It is possible for the track creator to create somewhat convincing puddles and tie in the visual stuff with actual grip and also create a wet line that provides more grip off the normal line.

It would be great if this will be the case for the CSP wet stuff but if not a track creator wet version might be more enjoyable :thumbsup:
I don’t have many info as much as Peter does, but I don’t think it will have such option for modders. Grip levels should we get soon, but I don’t know if with 1.3 or later

Ghoults updated Horsma Raceway with a new update entry:

Small update fixing many smaller issues

Install:
You can can simply install this over the old one overwriting the files.

Change log:

- fixed surfaces.ini wrong names for club and trophy layouts
- new textures for tree walls
- fixed broken track map for the club layout
- many small texturing and object fixes all around the track
- career events now work in assetto launcher. Content manager has some issues giving out medals for completed events but otherwise works fine. Issue is likely in my career files and not in cm.

Read the rest of this update entry...

The Haunted Stick of Horsma
Screenshot_bacmono_ghoults_horsma_28-7-119-17-26-18.jpg

Legend has it a corner marshal lost his life on this corner. He stands vigilant, forever holding this stick to remind drivers of the dangers of the Horsma Raceway.

:) ;) :O_o: :sneaky: ;) :)

Seriously though, all the upgrades in the latest version are excellent! I see you've toned the bumps down in some areas where it was a little too much, and the other improvements are further progressing this track to be one of the best.

I wonder... leave the "stick" as is, but add a nearly transparent ghostly figure to hold it, maybe holding out the other arm as a warning.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing