Horsma Raceway

Tracks Horsma Raceway 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content

Ghoults

Lasse Luisu
Ghoults submitted a new resource:

Horsma Raceway - Fictional road course in Finland.

FLImZHx.png

CIRCUIT INFO:
Type: permanent road course

CONFIGURATIONS:
- Full 5.2km
- Club 3.4km
- Trophy 4.4 km
+ wet versions of each

TRACK MAP:
ze5nLLW.jpg

DESCRIPTION:
A fantasy road course in Finland. Somewhat worn and not well maintained and as such the track surface is pretty bumpy. The track is fast flowing and traditional so it is well suited for most cars. But the challenging old school nature makes it also tricky for the...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Hi Ghoults,

Just an idea, I see in a few comments that do not like the bumps on the circuit.

I wonder why, there are no mod circuit creators who had this idea to do, like your mod make the circuit poorly held / give up and release a more modern vesion of the same circuit, a restore version with new road textures , new sponsors, virtually no bumps, new pit way to get back to the stand and other small adjustments to make it more modern.

like that there would be an old version of the circuit and a newer version.

As mentioned above it's just an idea, I know that even a few changes take time for the mod.

Personally I like old circuits with bumps, it does not bother me, I like driving old cars compare to the new modern cars.

I'm not saying that you had to do it, just an idea going through me head and I propose it to you.

I'm sorry I can not rate your work for this mod circuit (computer problem), but I'm sure I love it when I'm going to be able to test it.

I thank you already for your work and the sharing of it.

Don't worry about not liking it. I knew the bumpiness will a problem for some. That being said so far I don't see nobody else than you not liking them in the reviews :). For sure the bumps makes the track more challenging. Of course if many people dislike the track then I can do changes. But at the same I feel the bumpiness is one of the key characters of the track.

All the bumps are individually placed. For example you may have learned that on the fast right hander behind the pit area there is a big bump right on the entry that makes you go wide if you hit it hard. But the thing is you can go around that bump as it is not full width of the track. If you turn little bit earlier than you would normally you can avoid the bump. The corner has camber in the apex that helps you in the middle of the corner so the more shallow line works fine. The area under the first bridge is also very bumpy but with different kind of bumps. Here the key is to keep the car straight. Even if that part of the track looks like slam dunk easy straight you still need to be smooth or the track can catch you out. It is not perfect straight after all as when you go through it the road does turn slightly to the left with big bumps and that combination can create issues if you are not aware of it.

The road patches are also real in the physical road surface. Those are not enough to cause issues in many cars but even then you can go around them by adjusting your trajectory slightly so your tire does not go directly over them. The runoff areas are very bumpy to encourage people to not use them. They are also slipperier. For fast lap time you need to learn how to use them effectively. On couple of places there have also been oil spills in the previous start. Some poor blokes blew their motor. That whitish dust is oil removal sand and some of it is still there and there is a small grip reduction on those areas. On some areas there are also dirt on the track. These are also slipperier than normal road surface.

I have driven the track with many kind of cars. Gt3 are perfectly fine on the track with default setup imho. Something like ferrari f40 s3 or the yellowbird are very challenging. And even lmp2 cars are fine if you just make the suspension softer and give them more ride height. The track is definitely closer towards sebring than road america when it comes to bumps but it is not sebring bumpy either. I'll see what people say and if there are nasty areas I can adjust them if

Thank you, for this is some explanation on the circuit it will help some a few peoples, personally bumps cicuit do not bother me.

I will surely like your cicuit, when my computer problems will be gone and be able to test your work.

I just wanted to say (I apologize if you did not understand the message of above, I use Google Translate)

I am surprised that no person who manufactures mod circuit is thinking about making a circuit but has two different moment an old circuit and a newer one with standard track of our day, especially a circuit creat / fictional that no one knows in real life, like your mod.

Keep your current job circuit and make a second version of the same newer circuit with new with new road textures , new sponsors, practically no bumps, new entrance of the stands.

something that brings something new to the circuit and at the same time satisfies peoples who likes a bumpy or circuit modern more smooth, this is by no means a personal request just a point of view that requires reflexion to you or to other people who create the circuits mods for the community of assetto corsa.

I hope you will understand me, my English is very bad.

I did some AI test races with the track, performance is great, bumpiness is fine, just maybe not for really hard sprung cars like Formulas.
What caught my eyes where these tree walls tho:
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

some fine tuning maybe? More contrast, less specular, and darker edge regions

I did some AI test races with the track, performance is great, bumpiness is fine, just maybe not for really hard sprung cars like Formulas.
What caught my eyes where these tree walls tho:
View attachment 315072 View attachment 315073
some fine tuning maybe? More contrast, less specular, and darker edge regions
New textures most likely as that issue is just bad alpha layer on the texture. The treewalls could definitely look a lot nicer.

Darn you! I had all this work I was supposed to do this weekend, but I discovered you're incredible track yesterday. I've been running laps and capturing video. Here's a tribute video of sorts... a track day at Horsma!

The track is definitely not made for aerial shots for sure! I also noticed from your lap that there is a bug with the road surfaces. Driving over some spots gives those invalid track errors because in surfaces.ini I have set that surface name wrong for 2 of the layouts. Should be OILREM, not OIL. Will be fixed for next version. Annoyingly those spots are in the middle of the road as well so can't drive around them.

Well, few of these tracks are good for aerial, but I think it gives the viewer an idea of how large a project this was. It's interesting to see it from that view, then drive it. I figured there was an issue that was triggering things as usually happens as these are put together.

So after your experience creating the Horsma Raceway...

If you have time, could you provide a good resource, or list of resources, for naming conventions, time-saving techniques, proper optimization, common mistakes and pitfalls, and just about anything else that would help someone work more efficiently as they create their first track? Something with good information that's organized or easy to review, so that someone with 3D modeling experience (like myself), could easily reference as they are modeling the track to convert it to use in Assetto Corsa?

Last edited:
I don't really have an interest in the kart track. It is there purely for scenery.

As for track making I don't think this track is the best place for you to post your work. As for tutorials and assetto documentation I'd go visit assettocorsamods.net/. They have very good guide for first track:
https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/build-your-first-track-basic-guide.12/. LilSki has also written excellent guides here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/proper-technique-in-track-making-plus-tips.122794/

I don't really have an interest in the kart track. It is there purely for scenery.

As for track making I don't think this track is the best place for you to post your work. As for tutorials and assetto documentation I'd go visit assettocorsamods.net/. They have very good guide for first track:
https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/build-your-first-track-basic-guide.12/. LilSki has also written excellent guides here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/proper-technique-in-track-making-plus-tips.122794/

Thanks for the links. This looks like a good place to start.

I was kidding you about the kart track, but it does look like it would be a good track.

I look forward to your next update for Horsma. Still driving it -- while I really should be working today.

It's TOO good! (even with the bumps)

Last edited:
Superb track here !

I always pay most attention to track layouts for fantasy tracks. This one has fantastic layouts. 10/10. Favorite to me is definitely the historic one. The full layout feels just bit too twisty for me. Club layout is least interesting but very welcome too. I can see many more possible layouts there.

Visually track is very well detailed, and it is immersive to drive. Overall quality also seems very good, I could point at some things that IMO could be improved and it would be even better track, but it is awesome to me already.

Very well placed kerbs realyl like it.

Superb elevations.

I like the bumpyness, but it feels like it is too constant, I wouldn't expect road to be so uneven in most places around the track, undulations themselves feels good to me. But I would say that more variation with them would be better. Like perhaps few more parts totally smooth, few more parts less bumpy by half, and rest of the bumps as it is.

Finally got some laps in here. (Wasn't sure the W125 was going to work out, kept that to the Highlands.) It's great fun! I could also nitpick a bit, but nothing major. The grass is a touch on the neon green side, couple of trees looked iffy, but this is tiny stuff.

I kinda agree about the bumpiness... maybe giving one section some fresh tarmac just for variety? Either way, it's fun to drive.

Excellent job.

The historic Trophy layout should be ideal for historic cars. None of those pesky slow corners and even a jump to bring out your inner Hermann Lang flying through Flugplatz

I don't want to clog up the support page after I already gushed about this track in my review but I have been driving it all day now and I really hope you keep the bumps, especially after reading your thought process on the track surface in that post above. They are the challenging icing on an already delicious cake. When you put all the parts together, nothing comes close to this track for me, it's fully old-school cool. Maybe it doesn't suit every car you could ever think of but not every track should.

I've been getting Donnington 1938 track vibe in historic layout, even if there isn't such a long and mad ~straight~, but there is very similar one that is even more ~~straight~~, but still flatout :D

As for bumps (or rather undulations, because in size they are larger than bumps if we get technical IMO) they are awesome for me too, but just too common. Wasn't noticing too much with W125, as I drove F40 with semislicks around full layout it started getting to feel little bit like one of the worst roads that I know in my country right now, it is so bad that it is epic, and I would wish to laserscan it before it gets all fixed lol And I don't mean Nemuno Ziedas lol it is not that much tired yet, and still as I got an opportunity to get around racers a bit, they said that when condition of a track is that bad it limits their performance because such harsh road causes huge stresses on cars chassis and suspension and then stuff bends and gets all sorts of damage and breaks down.

Visually track is very well detailed, and it is immersive to drive. Overall quality also seems very good, I could point at some things that IMO could be improved and it would be even better track, but it is awesome to me already.

Don't be shy. Criticism is how we improve and I welcome it. Even if it feels nitpicking. This is 0.9 and the reason I did not release it as 1.0 is because I want to find as many issues as possible.

I like the bumpyness, but it feels like it is too constant, I wouldn't expect road to be so uneven in most places around the track, undulations themselves feels good to me. But I would say that more variation with them would be better. Like perhaps few more parts totally smooth, few more parts less bumpy by half, and rest of the bumps as it is.

I think I have about 7 different kinds of bump profiles for the track surface. These are then applied at different magnitudes around the track in different places. Each bumps are positioned "tactically" around the track. Some cause small changes to your driving line, others are unavoidable and some just require a little more care and smoothness. In addition those there are small random road camber changes and sometimes the camber even varies through the corners on inside and outside lanes.

I can kind of agree that the bumps might be repetitive but on the other hand I feel they are spread out well in different places. It does not feel repetitive to me although I agree that there are lots of bumpy areas and not very many smooth areas at all. The reason I don't really have totally smooth areas because even the patch fixes on the road are old and as such even the fixes have worn out :D. That being said those areas should not have the biggest kind of bumps so technically they are smooth(ish). I think the shortest Club layout has some tarmac that is relatively smooth and generally those strips of fixed tarmac are also smoother but at the same time are little above the road surface so you feel the edge in ffb when going over them. All that being said I feel like the current road texturing could be better. That would allow me to "resurface" some areas of the track to make the smooth/bumpiness areas more distinctive.

As far as bumps go the only type I don't have is deeper grooves. On normal roads where a car goes through many times the road sags a little bit at the tire tracks. I might add those too in some corners. Wait, was I supposed to remove some bumps. I need to think about this.

I could also nitpick a bit, but nothing major. The grass is a touch on the neon green side, couple of trees looked iffy, but this is tiny stuff.
The grass is supposed to look worn and sun burned as well. I think it is a bit too yellow tho. Not sure about neon green tho.. Do you have shaders patch? I think it could look worse without it.

I kinda agree about the bumpiness... maybe giving one section some fresh tarmac just for variety? Either way, it's fun to drive.
My excuse here is that the fresh tarmac has also worn out.

I've been getting Donnington 1938 track vibe in historic layout, even if there isn't such a long and mad ~straight~, but there is very similar one that is even more ~~straight~~, but still flatout :D

As for bumps (or rather undulations, because in size they are larger than bumps if we get technical IMO) they are awesome for me too, but just too common. Wasn't noticing too much with W125, as I drove F40 with semislicks around full layout it started getting to feel little bit like one of the worst roads that I know in my country right now, it is so bad that it is epic, and I would wish to laserscan it before it gets all fixed lol And I don't mean Nemuno Ziedas lol it is not that much tired yet, and still as I got an opportunity to get around racers a bit, they said that when condition of a track is that bad it limits their performance because such harsh road causes huge stresses on cars chassis and suspension and then stuff bends and gets all sorts of damage and breaks down.
I think the technical term for undulations is humps :p.

I get what you say but in real life they race invaluable historics around sebring as well. I bet all the local racing damper and suspension part sales people all drive bugattis as their daily drivers. F40 and the yellowbird are tricky on this track because their suspension really struggles with the bumps. The gt3s on the other hand almost glide over them. It's always a compromise. I understand that there is room for improvement but at the same time it is good to have one really bumpy track as many tracks have maybe too smooth surface. I can for sure imagine that if the track existed in real life there would be people not driving it because it is too rough.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 287 13.5%