Horner: Ricciardo "Running" From Verstappen Fight

Listened to an interview today where DR was asked about this very statement - he then explained his thinking which was not running from Max but a concern that after 5 years Red Bull hadn't delivered a championship contending car, which was a goal he set himself.

He then went on to say that due to the Honda switch and the reliability of last year's car, he wasn't prepared to do spend another year like that. He understands Renault won't likely win this year but is looking at the future.

Which is a reasonable explanation and surely the truth, at least part of it. But saying that facing Verstappen has not been part of the decision is delusional.

Not everything published is for 'human consumption'.
Maybe it is all part of some silly hoax... or an attempt to get into Daniel's head.
In any event, it is silly an unproductive.

Let's not forget this could still be a massive blow up by media again... Won't believe it until i actually hear him say it in the Netflix thingy

• Deleted member 6919

All I hope for is that Ricciardo kicks his arse on track now..
As for Horner well lets face it he's always been a 'Wannabe'..:roflmao::p

If he's running from a Verstappen fight, I think he's doing the right thing. It would be quite difficult for him to fight against Red Bull's golden boy when the whole team is on his corner, even though Daniel is clearly the better driver.
I agree fully that to get away from a team that is openly favorising Ricciardos teammate is the only option If he still has some winning expectations to his career.
Hehe and the wage raise is probably some nice vanilla on top of the shift.;)

Im not 100% sure I agree that Ric is clearly(!) the better driver of the 2.
For me it looks like they are probably extremely close but has 2 different driving attitudes.
And Im not sure Max´s attitude will gain him more points than what Rics behaviour will get him in the comming seasons.

Note: If Mark Webber had done the same when his team was obviously favorising Vettel he could maybe still have been in F1.:whistling:

If he's running from a Verstappen fight, I think he's doing the right thing. It would be quite difficult for him to fight against Red Bull's golden boy when the whole team is on his corner, even though Daniel is clearly the better driver.

Nice and enjoyable to see all the personal ideas overhere and everyone knows best....
Well...let me tell you this...Max is the most wanted driver by every team principle, not that they say it every day all the time, but it surely has been said by all of them! This was and is not the case with Ricciardo, which i very much like as a person and as a driver, casue he's a very good one and Max also learned from him, but after that he exceeded on Ricciardo. Although i am Dutch as well and off course i want to see Max win a lot,
if Ricciardo was the better driver i would say it also, cause facts are facts.
BUT the fact is that Max is the better one, also making a mistake here and there, but the all do!

A pathetic and unnecessary comment, regardless of the context. But this is F1. What's new?

Agree that Horner better leave it in the middle, it doesnot serve any cause.

But Ross, what you say now is so not the case! But yeah, opinions are made very fast :O_o:
"If you're a talented driver of Daniel's ability approaching his 30's, are you going to stick around and play second fiddle to an arrogant little turd and watch your career come to a dead stop......"

I wish him all the best at Renault

Just like a certain Orange President, Horner is the kind of person that just shouts out useless tweets and remarks nobody really wanted to know in the first place, but social media being what it is, it creates a buzz regardless.

Horner has a mouth as big as the Negrón tunnel.
Bad driver, worst team principal

I'm not sure who could have done way better than Horner at Redbull. He's in charge since a while and not yet thrown out by his bosses whom are trigger happy... But yea, surely he's the worst TP on the grid.

I don't remember Horner saying the same things when Vettel departed RB after getting hammered by Ric.

Oh that's right, that's because Red Bull loved Vettel.

I've never seen favouritism so rife in an F1 team as it is at Red Bull.

It's like some kind of Helmut Marko led cult and it's just weird.

I'm not sure who could have done way better than Horner at Redbull. He's in charge since a while and not yet thrown out by his bosses whom are trigger happy... But yea, surely he's the worst TP on the grid.

I wish to be better in English to be able to tell what I think with proper words.

If you want to see what "good" is Horner, you only have to look back when they have the fastest car and still they loose victorys because of him

I don't remember Horner saying the same things when Vettel departed RB after getting hammered by Ric.

Oh that's right, that's because Red Bull loved Vettel.

I've never seen favouritism so rife in an F1 team as it is at Red Bull.

It's like some kind of Helmut Marko led cult and it's just weird.

What about mercedes...
Bottas gp russia they stolen his victory

• Deleted member 113561

Not trying to undermine Daniel's feats, but that doesn't mean much. In Mexico, he lost the lead and clearly lost the teammate battle to Verstappen before his DNF. His pole is a great performance, given Max topped all three FP sessions, but it resulted in nothing, which is ironic for a driver known for having an even better race pace than qualifying.
His car broke down midrace, probably he had from the beginning a problem, but that is (fair) speculation.
Dominating free practice doesn't mean anything. Quali is for one lap pace the only thing that matters and ofc for points/win only the race matters (though the last years starting grid position has become more important cause of the aero push).

Monaco is regarded as the track that requires the highest skill, we saw in the past that you can win there even if you are in an inferior car (though this has shifted more towards who has the best aero package). This is probably also one of the reasons it is part of the triple crown achievement. Verstappen always botches it there, so that is an argument for RIC > VER.

Another one would be that Ricciardo outperformed Verstappen in 2016 (-first 4 races, still outperforming) & 2017, while losing out in 2018.

Overall I see them as equally good. One has advantages in some areas, the other one in other areas.
Saying Ricciardo being clearly inferior to Verstappen or vice versa is ridiculous.

Team orders in a single event are not the same as institutional favouritism.
Tell that to Rosberg and Bottas...

Both Hamilton and Mercedes are always playing a psychological warefare against the second driver to belittle them into a wingman for respectively himself and their golden boy.

I think 2018 is a prime example how that creeps up under the skin. I think Bottas is a far more capable driver than displayed last year. But they just break their second drivers to prevent compete against their golden boy.

And thus was my first reaction when Bottas went to Mercedes... There goes his carreer...

And when I take a look at Ferrari now... Taking a bold move to promote Leclerc to their team, I think a whole different situation occurs. Vettels position is under pressure at Ferrari, and I honestly don’t believe they prefer one over the other. They just finally want to win a new title. And I personally wouldn’t be surprised if Leclerc have the highest chance since Vettel isn’t on his best when under pressure.

And if Mercedes and Red Bull aren’t sandbagging to much, I place my bet both on Ferrari and Leclerc for 2019. At least as long as they don’t run the whole season to much the Italian way ;).

Simply, simply Horner...

Ricciardo is intelligent enough to read some hints here and there and took another way before it's too late for him to have good options. Good for him.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 298 13.4%