Horner: Ricciardo "Running" From Verstappen Fight

Horner definitely shouldn’t have said that (but it was in a documentary so it could have been a passing comment. Editing is everything) but if you think that Danny Ric is a better driver than Verstappen, you’re smoking something!

Daniel is cleary the better driver ` what do you smoke? Max was whole season in 2018 better in Q3... better in overtakes... Ricardo is a nice guy I like him no doubt.
But If he was stay by Redbull this season. it was dangerous for his career in future
He may be better over one lap, but his consistency and his inclination to cause accidents and take no responsibility make him an inferior driver over the season. If it wasn't for Daniel's reliability he would beat Max any season. If Max finaly matures and becomes an adult, then it will be a different talk.

I like dan, but verstappen imo is Hamilton level fast. Ric can't match his skill level best jump ship.
He is Hamilton fast over a lap, but not Daniel fast over a season.

Ok, keep in mind:
1) Ric is my 2nd favorite driver (behind Kimi)
2) I am neither a Max fan nor a hater. He's gotten on my nerves a couple times, but I think he is going to be good for the sport for years to come.

With that said, I think if you want to call it "running from a fight", it's your right to do so (and is probably a great way to get attention)...but I think you could also call it "smart career strategy". Look, the writing is on the wall - Dan is fast, but Max is faster. If/when Max finds more consistency, he's going to be the man. If I'm in Ric's shoes, I'm not sticking around out of some misguided macho pride - I'm going to try to find a seat with another team that has a chance to provide me with a car that Max can't catch. Is Renault that team? Likely not, but possibly. In Dan's shoes, I'll gladly take "possibly" rather than waiting around to see the inevitable play out.

Well, Ricciardo knew what was going on in the team and he probably saw that Verstappen was getting all the attention. He just got away from his shadow. He actually took a big gamble as Renault is not (yet) at top-tier team.

I'm sure Dan is really concerned with Horner's comments :rolleyes:.
I get the impression he's a sensitive guy. Was sulking all season over being second fiddle and whined when Verstappen called him out in qualifying for wanting special treatment and not playing by the rules. So yeah, I suspect he will not take the comments well.

No Racing involved = not interested

Nice media-trick by Netflix to draw attention and trying to get a piece from the cake. Btw, there are more accussations around that they use to advertise their crap.
F.e.:
Makers of Netflix's new F1 documentary series accuse Mercedes and Ferrari of letting down the sport

See ? It is crap like these produced media that drag the motorsport in the dirt. Its not about a serious discussion, its just about putting up a stir.

Again: No Racing involved = not interested ;)

which kind of fight Horner? that one in which the team had to decide who's first and who's the second one? (remember redbull 2010-2013?)...wow...what a fight he run off....

A pathetic and unnecessary comment, regardless of the context. But this is F1. What's new?

It was made clear in public who the golden boy was at Red Bull, so I'm sure the situation was even more clear inside the team. If you're a talented driver of Daniel's ability approaching his 30's, are you going to stick around and play second fiddle to an arrogant little turd and watch your career come to a dead stop, or are you going to take a chance and see if another team can give you a shot at a little glory? I'd certainly choose the latter, in his place.

Sure, Renault are not a race winning team at the moment, but people said the same about Mercedes when Lewis made his shock move to them, and look at him now. With a raft of new regs on the way in coming years, who knows which team will come out on top when the dust settles? If it's Renault then we'll all be saying how clever Danny was, instead of accusing him of running from a fight. Good luck to him. :thumbsup:

Horner is probably the worst team manager seen in a long time. Everybody is running away from that team : engine manufacturers, established drivers, young drivers. The ones who stay are those who can't do better and take their luck (Honda, Ticktum, Kvyat, Albon...).
Ricciardo is better off anywhere else really.

In the first place it was a dishonest move of Ricciardo to came up to an agreement with Red Bull while in secrecy negotiate with another team and sign there.

It was pretty clear there where no signs given to Red Bull that he wouldn’t sign or was negotiating with another party.

And as for this forum. Throw in the name Verstappen and people always seems to get instant butt hurt. Even when an article not really about him. :roflmao:

And for the honey badger, whe now can finally really measure the Hulks true speed. I think Ricciardo is in for a tougher fight than he participates.

But aside all politic bs and personal opinions, it still would be great to see them more upfront. It would even be more nice if all teams rejoined F1 and leaving F1.5 behind.

And as long as Verstappen becomes 2019 WDC, it’s all fine by me. :D

*** going to run and seek for an atomic bomshelter to shelter myself for all the “love” which will come to me ***

Mate!!! Daniel is an Aussie , His not running from a Fight, he is walking away from BS.

P.S. Paul I don't think they are racing at the Redbull ring on march 8 ?:p

Last edited:
Listened to an interview today where DR was asked about this very statement - he then explained his thinking which was not running from Max but a concern that after 5 years Red Bull hadn't delivered a championship contending car, which was a goal he set himself.

“I can see how people might want to think that or say that and everyone has an opinion and that hasn’t been pulled from nowhere,” Ricciardo said.

“I obviously say no, not true — I love a good fight. It’s more about me than Max and a lot of reasons but one I’ve stated a few times, and I think some people understand it, but I was at Red Bull for five years.

“They had won four titles and I joined straight after that. So in five years from that first year, I was like, ‘I’m going to win a world title, it’s going to happen’. It didn’t. We never really got close. I’m not bitter about it, it’s just the reality.”

“I just saw there were more risks of me staying and that project failing again,”

Last edited:
I always liked Red Bull, but it was mainly because of Danny Ric. This is just pathetic honestly, they know they screwed up letting him go. Nothing against Max, but RB should've disciplined Max after Baku, that was uncalled for, unprofessional and just plain STUPID! Ric was clearly the faster car that day, why they didn't tell Max to get the hell out of the way is beyond me... Ric was always the better driver in that team, but it's hard to perform when your own team screws you over.

I have to ask, what makes you say they did not disciplined Max internally after Baku ? I mean, there was no incident between those two for the rest of the season.
They screwed up for not calming down both drivers during Baku's race, and their public stance about the incident. But saying they're **** because of this is totally uncalled for.

Yep that is why Danny took pole in Mexico, or won the most difficult GP, the GP of Monaco. Omg love to smoke these fanboys

Not trying to undermine Daniel's feats, but that doesn't mean much. In Mexico, he lost the lead and clearly lost the teammate battle to Verstappen before his DNF. His pole is a great performance, given Max topped all three FP sessions, but it resulted in nothing, which is ironic for a driver known for having an even better race pace than qualifying.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back