Honda willing to spend big to lure Alonso

alonso_monza_mcl_4.jpg

It's around this time of year that the F1 "silly season" is in full swing as plenty of potential rumours abound surrounding driver, team or even engine changes for the following season. The major one this year has been the constant speculation with Fernando Alonso moving to McLaren for next year. Despite constant dismissal of a potential move this rumours doesn't seem to go away, a sign of substance to it or purely speculation to keep both in the limelight?

The latest development from this story is sources stating new McLaren's new engine partner for 2015, Honda, would be more than willing to pay the 30 million Euros severance fee Alonso has to pay if he was to leave Ferrari. Honda has long stated it's desire to work with a top line driver for it's comeback in 2015. This suits McLaren and is why they have very publicly tried to entice both Alonso and Red Bull superstar Sebastien Vettel with huge salaries and the promise of an McLaren upturn.

Whilst Vettel seems unlikely to move from the Red Bull team he's been a part of for 7 years and laughed off speculation of him moving to McLaren next year, the current somewhat frosty relationship between Ferrari and Alonso currently has only strengthened rumors of an impending move.

It seems the constant speculation appeared to finally get to Alonso during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend as he is quoted as saying "Sometimes it's sad when it comes from Italy, or they create these rumours for some strange purpose which is not helping Ferrari, which is why we're all here."

This will have likely alerted the F1 paddock and some journalists are already speculating on his future, the latest being veteran journalist James Allen in his latest blog post, in which he states "According to Italian colleagues, Ferrari doesn't want to give Alonso some of the guarantees he is seeking and Alonso has told Ferrari he wants to leave. [Team principal Marco] Mattiacci said cryptically on Sunday night that Alonso was set to stay with the team 'for the moment'."

Allen later also states "Veteran F1 journalist Pino Allievi told me at the weekend that if Alonso wants to leave, with two years of contract with Ferrari still outstanding, then he has to pay €30 million. Honda would sign that off without hesitation, sources suggest."

Despite these rumours I personally wouldn't put much money on Alonso moving to McLaren for next year. Their is definite substance to this rumour however Alonso is only linked with McLaren because he is frustrated with the current level of performance from Ferrari. It would seem illogical to therefore move to a team currently lower than Ferrari in the Constructors championship, despite the promise of a huge salary and the promise of Honda engines.

Also allowing Alonso to leave would give them very little time to find a replacement driver, with all the top drivers currently locked up for 2015, therefore the best option would be to attempt to prise the hugely talented Nico Hulkenberg from his Sahara-Force India seat and give him the big break his talent deserved years ago. What are your thoughts on this persistent Alonso to McLaren rumour?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alonso's gotta have some pretty big balls if he moves to Mclaren next year. There is no guarantee that the Mclaren-Honda partnership will bring success to the team so it would be a huge leap of faith. Being realistic, I think Alonso will stay at Ferrari for 2015; 2016 might be a different story. He's at the top of his game right now so now its down to Ferrari whether he will be there for 2016 onwards. I think he's going to evaluate how Mclaren do next year an their rate of development throughout the season with their new signing in the aerodynamic department and it might be interesting to see what kind of changes James Allison brings to Ferrari. We will find out the fate of the silly season in the next few weeks. interesting times ahead...

If Alonso goes, Ferrari will just take Bianchi, that's what he's there for. He would have been confirmed at Marussia for 2015 by now if he wasn't in line for a Ferrari seat.

Alonso in a competitive car, I like the sound of that very very much. Fernando is now getting at an age that he must find a perfect fit team to grab that third (and fourth) title he badly deserves based on his stunning driver skills. If that cant be done with Ferrari I hope he will go for Honda.

Agree with @Bram Hengeveld. If there is anyone in F1 currently who deserves to be a triple champion and isn't already (not going to call a 4 times WC winner undeserving even though I am not the biggest fan), it's Alonso. But there is absolutely no guarantee that McLaren will get their act together next year even with Honda support, who btw haven't been in F1 in a long time. I think it's more likely that Ferrari will get something competitive going tbh. No matter which team, I want to see that guy drive a car that deserves such a driver!

• Deleted member 130869

View attachment 65455

It's around this time of year that the F1 "silly season" is in full swing as plenty of potential rumours abound surrounding driver, team or even engine changes for the following season. The major one this year has been the constant speculation with Fernando Alonso moving to McLaren for next year. Despite constant dismissal of a potential move this rumours doesn't seem to go away, a sign of substance to it or purely speculation to keep both in the limelight?

The latest development from this story is sources stating new McLaren's new engine partner for 2015, Honda, would be more than willing to pay the 30 million Euros severance fee Alonso has to pay if he was to leave Ferrari. Honda has long stated it's desire to work with a top line driver for it's comeback in 2015. This suits McLaren and is why they have very publicly tried to entice both Alonso and Red Bull superstar Sebastien Vettel with huge salaries and the promise of an McLaren upturn.

Whilst Vettel seems unlikely to move from the Red Bull team he's been a part of for 7 years and laughed off speculation of him moving to McLaren next year, the current somewhat frosty relationship between Ferrari and Alonso currently has only strengthened rumors of an impending move.

It seems the constant speculation appeared to finally get to Alonso during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend as he is quoted as saying "Sometimes it's sad when it comes from Italy, or they create these rumours for some strange purpose which is not helping Ferrari, which is why we're all here."

This will have likely alerted the F1 paddock and some journalists are already speculating on his future, the latest being veteran journalist James Allen in his latest blog post, in which he states "According to Italian colleagues, Ferrari doesn't want to give Alonso some of the guarantees he is seeking and Alonso has told Ferrari he wants to leave. [Team principal Marco] Mattiacci said cryptically on Sunday night that Alonso was set to stay with the team 'for the moment'."

Allen later also states "Veteran F1 journalist Pino Allievi told me at the weekend that if Alonso wants to leave, with two years of contract with Ferrari still outstanding, then he has to pay €30 million. Honda would sign that off without hesitation, sources suggest."

Despite these rumours I personally wouldn't put much money on Alonso moving to McLaren for next year. Their is definite substance to this rumour however Alonso is only linked with McLaren because he is frustrated with the current level of performance from Ferrari. It would seem illogical to therefore move to a team currently lower than Ferrari in the Constructors championship, despite the promise of a huge salary and the promise of Honda engines.

Also allowing Alonso to leave would give them very little time to find a replacement driver, with all the top drivers currently locked up for 2015, therefore the best option would be to attempt to prise the hugely talented Nico Hulkenberg from his Sahara-Force India seat and give him the big break his talent deserved years ago. What are your thoughts on this persistent Alonso to McLaren rumour?

I thought the contract permitted him to leave Ferrari if the team met certain underachieving conditions - which they were, according to the folks at NBC Sports Network (Steve Matchett and folks). I'd also love to see Hulkenberg given a proper seat, maybe JEV would then have the green light to stay in F1 with Force India.

Looking at that picture from that article.. the 2007 McLaren was such a beautiful car. It would be really weird seeing Alonso back at McLaren though. But I don't think he'll move next year.

Looking at that picture from that article.. the 2007 McLaren was such a beautiful car. It would be really weird seeing Alonso back at McLaren though. But I don't think he'll move next year.
Agree, that Mclaren was a beauty, shame about the ugly tires though, I'd forgotten about them.

Alonso in a competitive car, I like the sound of that very very much. Fernando is now getting at an age that he must find a perfect fit team to grab that third (and fourth) title he badly deserves based on his stunning driver skills. If that cant be done with Ferrari I hope he will go for Honda.

I'm in doubt McLaren will be that competitive next year "only" because of Honda joining. Comparing to football In Germany we say "Money doesn't score goals". I wildly guess it will be the same here. Maybe after 1 or 2 seasons they'll be able to fight for the top.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back