Honda saved

W

Wido Rossen

• Wido Rossen

According to reliable sources Bruno Senna has now signed for the Honda Racing F1 team - and an announcement that the team will be going ahead will be made soon. The team is expected to use Mercedes-Benz engines and Senna will be partnered by Jenson Button. Backing for the team - the name of which has yet to be announced - is expected to come from Petrobras and probably one or two of Senna's personal sponsors.

It is not clear when the announcement will be made.

There have been some rumours in recent days that the team may have the backing of none other than Bernie Ecclestone. This would not be a surprise as Ecclestone is keen to make sure that the teams are not unanimous within the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) and having a financial interest in one of them is a good way to ensure that this happens.

It is believed that the majority of the money to run the team will be coming from Honda itself as it is cheaper to pay to keep the team alive than it is to lay off all the staff.

No seriously, if they cant close down the team because of personal costs, then at least drive with your own engines... How bad will it look for Honda? Unbelievable, and weird news, or have i missed something here?

Its probably a quick fix answer to the fact they may not have pushed developement quick as hard as they might have this year. It gives them the option to develop for next year and save themselves from having to take the Cosworth engines in the future.

Seems a little incestuous to allow Bernie a stake in any team.

In the reports i have seen the money they have secured so far from the brazilian sponser of Bruno Senna is only enough for them to compete in the first 4 or 5 races.

Hmm..This news seems a bit not so much official. Honda with Mercedes engine, is really strange. Also i don't think team's name will be Honda , PErhaps something like that Petrobras Mercedes.....

Help On The Way For Troubled Honda?

The Times claim Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is exploring the possibility of helping the team to make the grid in Australia next month. Ecclestone is reportedly considering "investing in the 700-strong outfit or loaning funds to ensure their survival".

"We've been talking to them - whatever happens we'd like to see the Formula One team stay in business," Ecclestone is quoted by the newspaper.

Ecclestone, F1's commercial rights holder, refused to confirm that he is considering a financial commitment, saying: "I'd rather not comment on that but we will do whatever we have to do to try to make it happen.

"I don't even know whether we could legally be involved - we probably couldn't.

"The Commission might say that because we are the commercial rights-holder [that] we shouldn't be part of it. I don't know at this stage, but there is a possibility that loans could be made or something."

Meanwhile, crash.net reports that 'Honda team principal Ross Brawn has circulated an email to staff saying that a deal has been done to secure their future, and that they should begin preparing for the opening race of the season in Australia.

'It is also claimed that five sponsors have been found to adorn the side of the car, and though the identity of the engine-supplier is unknown, McLaren partner Mercedes-Benz is strongly believed to be the most likely candidate.'

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 219 14.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%