Honda On Form With Fastest Engine of 2019 in AUS GP

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Honda Performance.jpg

Honda appear to have overcome the issues that plagued their recent Formula One campaigns, regularly appearing at the top of the Australian Grand Prix speed traps.

Having taken plenty of (justified) criticism since returning to Formula One for the latest hybrid turbo era, Honda appear to have finally put their troubles to one side for the new season. The latest generation Honda power appears to be a step forward for the Japanese manufacturer, the unit having regularly appeared at or near the top of the power charts bolted to the back of both the Toro Rosso and Red Bull teams in Melbourne.

F1 Australian Grand Prix Speed Traps.jpg

Now associated with a team that is capable of taking race victories, and with a talent the likes of Max Verstappen behind the wheel, 2019 could well see a first opportunity for the once dominant engine manufacturer to take away some serious results from Formula One.

The complaints from Red Bull about the service received by former partners Renault was very much a theme of 2018, and a switch to Honda power for the new year appeared a risky move at best from the former champions - but with table topping speeds vs two Renault retirements in Melbourne, I'm sure Christian Horner feels pretty pleased with himself so far this weekend.

For more from the world of motorsport, head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment to get involved in the discussion today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

With the above mentioned knowledge hopefully Gasly shows some more guts very soon.
Even though it is difficult to overtake he could and even should have made some moves.
okay okay befenit of the doubt. His first race in a RedBull
Also better for construction points.

His 'master' showed how to do it when passing Vettel ;).

Come on Pierre show us your Victoire mentality!

Top speed is much nore determined by drag than power. Honda is definitely improved in my opinion as well but it's not because of the Australian top-speed charts.

Top speed is much nore determined by drag than power. Honda is definitely improved in my opinion as well but it's not because of the Australian top-speed charts.
You are absolutely right here.
If the drag is less and the chassis and suspension compliant, the engine and gearbox loading will be much less.
I suspect the incidences of engine failure with a RedBull chassis will be much less than with that McLaren chassis of the past.
We know RBR is one of those teams who package the engine tighter than just about any other team, making it all the more critical to reduce work and thereby thermal loading.

It's going to be so, so sweet to see RBR on top along with Ferrari and Mercedez featuring a Honda Engine!

I always rooted for McLaren while they complained about their Honda engine. Now I wanna see their faces with RBR results this season. And I guess I'll be rooting for RBR now!

Great to see Honda recover like this. As someone who watched them dominate from the mid-80's to 1991, it was painful to watch them struggle the last few years.

Honda's problem was that McLaren told them how they generally wanted the engine to be designed for their car while Red Bull told Honda to generally just make the best engine they can then Red Bull will work to make that design fit with their car philosophy. 2 different ways to do things and, after learning this, I'm not surprised at all at how quick Honda have at least caught up to (there or thereabouts) Renault.

Honda's problem was that McLaren told them how they generally wanted the engine to be designed for their car while Red Bull told Honda to generally just make the best engine they can then Red Bull will work to make that design fit with their car philosophy. 2 different ways to do things and, after learning this, I'm not surprised at all at how quick Honda have at least caught up to (there or thereabouts) Renault.

EDIT: Towards the end of last year, despite being heavier than the Renault unit, the Honda unit had a 35hp advantage.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years