WIP Hompe's Drag Strip

Grandstands modelled and mapped, some weird normal problems on a few of the steps tho (you can see they are brighter than the others, maybe ill try and fix it later :) the stands really add alot to the track!

drag14-1.jpg

Heres a batch of images from some testing today!

Testing the chicanes which have an anti cut object on their inside, Erik Tveit drove over them and got a puncture, great success!

drag15.jpg

The Fence near the pits is the most beautiful part of the track

drag16.jpg

Some abandoned hangars from when this fantasy airfield was crowded with fantasy airplanes and fantasy pilots :D

drag17.jpg

All empty on the grandstands

drag18.jpg

Lovely Pine tree, got them from KITTX with permission, hes very kind to lend everyone his textures if you give him credits

drag19.jpg

When creating fantasytracks, i try to think of a history of that place too. If this is suppose to be low budget local drag strip, the adjacent buildings need to be in that budget too. That takes away all fancy stuff, those garages are more than adequate. So i vote for low key too, maybe there is room for only 10 cars. The rest get a temporary tent or nothing but a empty square and their trailers directly behind it. The concrete maybe painted, i would do a very small (32x32 or 64x64px) blurred paint using medium contrast bumb map with higher resolution, something like 512x512 and low contrast specmap with 256x256 or none at all.

I have a tip for doing bumb maps, i've read it somewhere, could be here.. After doing desaturation copy the original layer. Use 2-4px Gaussian Blur and make that layer as "Overlay". Bake them together and apply normalmapfiltering, adjust the height to slightly higher than is recommended for relatively flat materal (above 4). That blurred overlay layer spreads the height difference a bit so it's more natural. Look at the terrain of pic2 in this post: http://www.racedepartment.com/showthread.php?t=55792&p=951338#post951338 there is only very blurred 128x128 reddish brown diffuse, smilar to what is seen on the trackside (no spec or bumbmap there yet)and the bumbmap is what makes all of the details (it's height was set very high, i used 10 in normalmapfilter..) The specmap in that needs to be edited, probably it needs to be negative..

Yeah i was sort of going nuts and making it into a full blown race track instead, but now i lost intresst in everything because the layout was really booring and it was very hard to make a fun track on this strip... (thanks for the bump map tips)

Anyhow if you Kennett or maybe someone else too wants to get their hands on the project files now i can share them with you, i removed most of the race track stuff and it should now be more like a drag strip :) I decided to try and get someone else to continue on the project because i lost alot of motivation when this project went from a small strip to a big race track :p
Heres a video i made today for fun, maybe it will make you intressted in this project!

[video=youtube_share;JGSa73CXLhI]http://youtu.be/JGSa73CXLhI[/video]

Let me know if you want it!

G'day Hompe,
Do you mind if I grab a copy of your BTB files to do the AIW please?
My thinking is to make the pit path from just after the finish line all the way back to the pits & around to the start of the staging area again where the pit out would be......
Ive no idea though how to go about a duel fastline though for two cars running a drag strip apart from possibly some creative cut & past-ing.....
I have been thinking about it a bit though & it could be interesting to find out!:wink:
If I can manage it I'll send the files back/pass them on to who ever is finishing this project.
Cheers mate!

No problem lee, i will upload and send you a copy by pm later :), i think dont worry about making 2 aiw's you can just make one that runs on the same side as the 1st grid spot, Because when you skip from practise to qual to race the ai will be in 1st position and player in 2nd..

If your happy with just one AI path then it won't be a problem mate, I should be able to knock it over by tomorrow night if I find the time!
Although two paths would be nice for running two nearly identical cars back-to-back for comparison purposes (both driven by the AI), such as when working-up a killer drive-train & motor combo!:D
Thanks heaps & I'll drop you a line tomorrow,
BLeeK

PS. Which lane do you want for lane 1?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years