HOLY Shamolee - The Long Requested / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / Simhub Tactile Effects Thread

Mr Latte

Premium
I've been asked for a long time to do a thread on one of the most popular ever tactile transducers.
To this day the Buttkicker Gamer 2 is one of the most considered entry-level packages.

The CURSE OF TACTILE:
As tactile becomes a REAL headache of a topic.

First off, I'm going to simply request that this thread is for discussion only of using the Buttkicker Gamer product line.
This way all users are on the same hardware. It's not, to talk about tactile in general, it's not to talk about other models of Buttkicker or different makes of units and different models or using different amps etc.

Keeping It Simple Guys
So let's focus on and talk about using "Simhub" and getting started with effects creation/tuning for the BK Gamer & BK Gamer 2 models
My hope is people will benefit and learn from this, owners will get involved. People will start to share their own effects, discuss issues, configurations ask questions. I will help what I can and for those that are new to this and using a single shaker or indeed the more advanced users with multiple sets of units installed.

Getting Started:
Tactile when it's working nice can be a great addition but it can also be a troublesome one as these and many threads show regards setting up, configuring, and how to come up with nice working effects. I will continue to update this thread in time with images/info on getting started but I think we have a fair few that are already using and familiar with the software.

(Info on Amp & Soundcard Settings To be Added)
(Info on Windows/Software Settings To Be Added)
(Images for break down on mentioned factors, Master Volume / Effect Folders / Effect Layers)

Featured Effects - Lets SHARE!
Here is my own effects submission, as my first test effects based on ACC and The Ferrari 488GT3
I used this car for creating the files as I had previous effects testing done with this.

My advice is if checking out the effects try them on that sim/car.
People will likely use shared effects for other cars and sims too and that can vary how well or suitable the effects are but for feedback.
I would suggest relating to how effects feel with the car/sim they are created on. To me, this makes sense if someone else creates/shares their own sets to mention what sim/car was used.

What I attempted to do with this set was to bring more to the immersion than an individual or typically used tones have.
Yet also with the intent to make things easy and keep down the number of layers an effect uses. This way we can get more variation in the possible feel and personalize the felt sensations.

• As a baseline, these are not bad, better is possible with more layers but this being mostly aimed at beginners to tactile
  • I want to make it easier to start feeling or learning how we can achieve nice felt sensations
  • Simple advice, stick to altering just the volumes and not things in each layer's settings if you are not aware of how/what they do
  • In some scenarios with combinations of effects, even a single Hz change can alter how the layers of different effects work together or feel
  • This can be covered if the thread is a success and then we could start looking deeper into each effect's primary settings

Balancing Frequencies
With each effect, I have them simply labeled for easy discussion and in their own folder.
  • Within each folder, I have set out 3 layers for most effects
  • This enables altering the volume of individual layers to adjust the feel of that effect
  • Try each layer on its own, learn what it does/how it feels then set a general volume
  • Do the same for all effects, then fine-tune the volume for each effect folder, to balance the mix for all effects
  • Test and tweak, different cars or sims can vary even with the same settings

Same Effects / Very Different Feel
You can create a volume balance that is more towards the engine or chassis feel depending on what you like. It's also possible to create a volume mix for both scenarios and save these as individual profiles to then use/load as you please.

We all may differ in what, we prefer to represent sensations for different effects, so I welcome others to get involved too.
Personally, I think it's better to use more balanced volumes or try to limit the effects used. Even this set the Engine/Speed effects to keep a single unit busy and make it harder to feel other effects.

These effects have perhaps some potential for easier enjoyment in getting started but the may need better-balanced volume settings
See what you think and feel free to comment or indeed highlight issues.

How To Use:
Simhub can be found HERE
My efforts being shared are like an unofficial help/guidance I am no way associated with the software or its developer. I recommend this incredible software as it is the best option now available for tactile and with many other uses/features. So please consider giving its developer a kind donation.

I strongly recommend also reading any official documentation that is given to get a grasp of how to use it.

NOTICE: The attached set of effects is not to represent ideal/perfect settings but as a starter for people to use and give feedback. If people get involved and offer feedback or share their own effects then I will help with sharing other effects more to what people may want.

My Attached Profile:
*Download File, place it in Docs/Simhub folder and rename from ".txt" to ".siprofile" for it to work as a profile
You should then be able to import it into Simhub.

Attachments

• Assetto Corsa Competizione - RD Forums _ BK GAMER2 - ACC - Example Effects By Mr Latte.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:
How would you mount it to the seat in the first place though?
These are among more cost-effective isolators:
51OaPaNYFtL._SL1100_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LF1MPYW
... installed with threaded studs vertical,
since that is the orientation in which these mounts best support loads,
while being relatively yielding to shear forces, thus
allowing your side-mounted shaker to excite lateral vibrations.
Relocating the bottom shaker to the rear of the seat
would allow it to excite longitudinal vibrations.

Upvote 0
So tonight I remounted my Gamer2 to the seats side mounts using a long rail between them (inside).

I downloaded @Mr Latte settings on page one and absolutely no noise and no feeling either. Like it’s turned off? I put the volume of both the amp and the SimHub gain to 100% and still nothing, which leads me to think there’s something in his settings or profile I need to turn on or enable.

If I jump back to my own settings, I get the faintest of rumbles in my chair, but it’s pretty crap and if I turn it up more it’s noisy again.

Keen to try Mr Lattes effort, but can’t fathom why it won’t work?

Upvote 0
So tonight I remounted my Gamer2 to the seats side mounts using a long rail between them (inside).

I downloaded @Mr Latte settings on page one and absolutely no noise and no feeling either. Like it’s turned off? I put the volume of both the amp and the SimHub gain to 100% and still nothing, which leads me to think there’s something in his settings or profile I need to turn on or enable.

If I jump back to my own settings, I get the faintest of rumbles in my chair, but it’s pretty crap and if I turn it up more it’s noisy again.

Keen to try Mr Lattes effort, but can’t fathom why it won’t work?
Unless I’m misreading, this doesn’t sound like a mounting issue but rather a Simhub setup issue.

You should at minimum be able to dip into the output settings on shake it bass shakers and hit the test button on the channel for your selected amp. That should give an obvious rattle regardless of whatever effect profile you have loaded in outside of any game.

If you see no activity or feeling there, then we can work from there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unless I’m misreading, this doesn’t sound like a mounting issue but rather a Simhub setup issue.

You should at minimum be able to dip into the output settings on shake it bass shakers and hit the test button on the channel for your selected amp. That should give an obvious rattle regardless of whatever effect profile you have loaded in outside of any game.

If you see no activity or feeling there, then we can work from there.

I get feeling and activity (albeit a horrible one), from simhub on every profile.

But Mr Lattes I get no sound or vibration whatsoever, literally none.

Even downloaded someone else’s here to try out and that worked fine, just Mr Latte.

I don’t understand.

Upvote 0
I get feeling and activity (albeit a horrible one), from simhub on every profile.

But Mr Lattes I get no sound or vibration whatsoever, literally none.

Even downloaded someone else’s here to try out and that worked fine, just Mr Latte.

I don’t understand.
But you did do a test and the shaker indeed works? I don’t mean to hit test on the effects page for whatever profile is loaded, I mean the sound output “tab” at top where you select and assign the effects to your shaker. Like RPM on channel 1…

You have sorted that out first correct? Whatever profile you import, you should make sure the shaker is set up with the correct channels. It’s my first assumption as the issue. If you load in Latte’s effects but it’s all set to off in the second tab, then you won’t get feeling…

Upvote 0
how do I mount the buttkicker to the seat
With those isolators vertically between seat brackets and P1X,
this positioning would be a good start:
SideGamer.png

Depending on frequencies of most interest, extending that Gamer behind or in front of the seat would lower resonant frequency.

Moving mass in a ButtKicker Gamer is only 170 grams or so,
expecting much reaction when connected to you+seat+P1X+floor is a big ask;
isolating P1X and floor will help substantially.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But you did do a test and the shaker indeed works? I don’t mean to hit test on the effects page for whatever profile is loaded, I mean the sound output “tab” at top where you select and assign the effects to your shaker. Like RPM on channel 1…

You have sorted that out first correct? Whatever profile you import, you should make sure the shaker is set up with the correct channels. It’s my first assumption as the issue. If you load in Latte’s effects but it’s all set to off in the second tab, then you won’t get feeling…

Indeed I did.

I’ve bought a set of those isolators tonight too. The bolt is a tad long so I’ll have to put a few washers on it (which hopefully won’t spoil it, they will be under the rubber side for what it’s worth).

Upvote 0
I had to cut some of the threads off of my isolator bobbins. I wound a nut onto the thread before cutting. Once the cut is complete, winding that nut back off cleans the end of the thread really well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I did indeed!

Channel 1 and 2, and set it to mono.

Some effects work, some effects don’t.

Not sure if it was a frequency thing or not, not sure what the amp settings ought to be in comparison.

Upvote 0
I can hear them via the buttkicker.
So my amp settings must be wrong
Hold on there!
Nearly all SimHub tactile signals are at audible frequencies ( > 20Hz),
and when being driven into a structure so large as a racing seat
will unavoidably be heard. Meanwhile, since higher frequencies can be more audible,
you could try dialing them down in
SimHub->ShakeIt Bass Shakers->Sound Output->Output tuning:
Output.png

Check the Low pass filter box and tweak the value to suit:
tuning.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi folks, did'nt know where else to ask this and thought someone in here might know. I did'nt use my Simhub software for ages as the power supply broke down for my seat motors so there was no point but, i've got a new one now.

So fired up simhub, only to find im back on non licenced version, so went to load my licence file and it does'nt do anything, im stuck on the free version of simhub, no matter what I do the licence file will not load. Anyone else experienced this and knows how to fix it?

Cheers for any help!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%