Hold a little longer with Win10 Upgrade, Win11 is coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Now for some actual 2021 advice. Always update Windows 10 to the latest version. It's OK to postpone an update for a week or maybe 2. But always update. If you have any reason not to update your Windows OS, then you probably have IT knowledge about specific Windows environments, for example for corporate use. If you don't have any reason or simply have no knowledge about the subject: just use auto updates.
You do you and I'll do me. The ability to control when updates occur and which elements to install was one of the reasons I chose 10Pro. Only exception to the extended "wait and see" rule are critical security updates. System stability is far more important.

Last edited:
I've came across these reports since W10 was released made me a bit nervous so I'm a very late convert to it only installing when the build was 1903. Since then I've taken every update as and when they were released and never yet encountered any issues.
Having used many Windows versions since 3.1 I've found 10 to be the most stable ever.
Unfortunately I'll need to upgrade before moving to W11.

Wow!
Windows 11 must be a miracle cure for everything :D

Terry may have a good match of hardware that Windows 11 is very happy to run on.
Intel + NVidia with something recent but not bleeding edge etc..

What is the real reason for Windows 11 ?

My gut tells me that this is a way for them to phase out support for old hardware. At some point Windows 10 will go away and all the old hardware that can't make the upgrade to Windows 11 will be orphaned. They are using security as an excuse to build in planned obsolescence. I'm sure hardware companies are all for this.

I've seen this before. They recently did this to a bunch of SDK/API standards so we would be forced to go to a pay for cloud compute model. First they announce the new so much better for you before it is flushed out, and they say development has stopped on the existing standards but they will be supported. Then they start encouraging you to use the new features and give you warnings when you use the old way usually this is while it is still buggy and has issues.

• Deleted member 197115

It needs TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module), Asus started rolling out some buggy Win11 compatible BIOS updates, not entirely sure if it won't install on the old version, but I had to roll BIOS back as OC stability went to hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry may have a good match of hardware that Windows 11 is very happy to run on.
Intel + NVidia with something recent but not bleeding edge etc..
I meant it as a joke!

Most important to me...every single one of my racing sims runs flawlessly.
For me it meant that Win 11:
Makes Rf2 to start up in a timely manner!
Gave AC Sim racing FFB and AI!
and fixed the bugs in PC2 and AMS2!
+ a whole lot more.:roflmao:

I am sure it is fine and works well for most newer systems and likely on my computer too.
But have not seen a real game test where it makes any real difference.

Also you can't dual boot with another OS if you are forced to use TPM and got a feeling that is the only reason why it requires TPM.

And with Steam Deck coming think quite a few people might want to try out Linux and Proton on the gaming PC.?

That is too funny! Don't get me wrong, MS's ecosystem has been my bread and butter for nearly 20 years now, but there is a reason Windows 11 isn't expected to be officially released for at least another month.

I am not on any cutting edge hardware.
I use a simple MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC board with the F5 Beta BIOS and a 5600X...along with a lowly Zotac AMP Extreme GTX770 stand in card. Nothing fancy. I do have AMD' TPM enabled in the BIOS along with secure boot also enabled. Both are requirements for Win11. It runs great. Not a single BSOD.

• Deleted member 197115

1633463622514.png

It works. I don't like the changes, some of it is just less productive but all the things I do worked. It was pretty quick to install clean from ISO, I spent a lot more time doing drivers and application installation with chocolatey (basically automatic) than I did with Windows. Turning on all the privacy took longer than copying the files too!

It works. I don't like the changes, some of it is just less productive but all the things I do worked. It was pretty quick to install clean from ISO, I spent a lot more time doing drivers and application installation with chocolatey (basically automatic) than I did with Windows. Turning on all the privacy took longer than copying the files too!
I had no clue Windows 11 was coming out today. When I saw it was available I just said update and 30 minutes later it was done. Looks cool. Icons are in the middle of the task bar now.

• Deleted member 197115

That was one smooth update, had to enable TPP in BIOS though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%