Hold a little longer with Win10 Upgrade, Win11 is coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
W11 on both my towers, was clunky in steam
too many little things changed and Open Shell and Winaero need few more fixes yet ( I can't stand windows without those 2 ) .....seems they just made a extra layer to navigate everything

I won't test again till at very least Open Shell can run the left side startmenu without W11 button underneath lol

https://www.startallback.com/W11 on both my towers, was clunky in steam
too many little things changed and Open Shell and Winaero need few more fixes yet ( I can't stand windows without those 2 ) .....seems they just made a extra layer to navigate everything

I won't test again till at very least Open Shell can run the left side startmenu without W11 button underneath lol
I use Startallback its works great on my Computers maybe try Start11

Last edited:
Tried it, open Shell has a cleaner look imho

Untitled 1.jpg

• Windows 11 features
    • Enable the full context menus without the 'Show more options' item.
    • The ability to restore the classic taskbar
    • Enable Ribbon in File Explorer
    • Change taskbar screen position, e.g. you can move it to the top
    • Change taskbar size
    • Disable background apps, all at once.
  • Shortcut tools that you can use
    • To launch an app as Administrator without a UAC confirmation.
    • To directly open any Control Panel applet or system folder.
    • To directly open any Settings page.
    • To create shortcuts to the classic Shut Down Windows dialog (Alt+F4), and Safe Mode.
    • To remove or customize the shortcut arrow overlay icon.
    • To remove the " - shortcut" suffix.
    • To remove blue arrows from compressed files.
  • Manage Windows apps and features.
    • Restore the classic search in File Explorer without Internet options
    • Restore classic Windows Photos Viewer to use it instead of Photos.
    • Restore the classic sound volume pop-up slider.
    • Permanently disable Windows Telemetry and Data Collection.
    • Permanently disable Windows Defender.
    • Permanently disable Windows Update.
    • Disable ads and unwanted app installation (Candy Crush Soda Saga, etc).
    • Enable the built-in Administrator account.
    • Enable automatic Registry backup.
    • Change drag-n-drop sensitivity.
    • Disable Action Center and notifications.
    • Reset icon cache.
    • Reset all Group Policy options at once.
  • Networking options
    • Change the RDP port.
    • Make mapped drives accessible for elevated apps.
  • Tune up Windows appearance
    • Customize folders in This PC.
    • Customize entries in Navigation Pane in File Explorer (in the left pane).
    • Rename and change the icon for the Quick Access entry.
    • Increase the taskbar transparency level.
    • Show time seconds in the taskbar clock.
    • Disable blur for the sign-in screen.
    • Customize fonts, and the Alt+Tab dialog appearance.
    • Change the title bar color for inactive windows.
  • Context menus
    • Add handy context menus using a huge set of presets, e.g. to switch a Power Plan with one click, open a Command Prompt, add a Settings cascading menu - plenty of them.
    • Hide default entries from the context menu, e.g. Edit with Photos, Edit with Paint 3D, etc.
    • Add 'Run as Administrator' to VBS, MSI, CMD and BAT files.
    • Change the default app for the Edit context menu entry for images.

Last edited:
I reported to NordPass a week back is now issue logging into Google of all things on both W10 and W11. Instead of auto filling box NordPass offers up a new suggested password every time

edit: P.S. Had NordPass since first released in 2019 and never had it happen before

Last edited:
Way too much drama, was the smoothest Windows update for me with zero issues.
Whatever drives up clicks I guess, being negative pays these days.
Linus loves to dramatise stuff, no argument there, but unless he's straight-up making up a lot of that stuff, Windows 11 has managed to drop far more balls than I'd have expected. Also, I've been hearing for a while now about stuff that should have been fixed during the pre-release testing. MS seems to have developed a perverse habit of ignoring the reports from the (many) insider-preview folk.
Happily I don't need to be an early adopter (my main desktop has a 7700K so it isn't even compatible, LOL) so I will see if it still has major issues in 6 months or so and plan my next build accordingly. (Tempted by 12th gen Intel but since that depends on Win 11, it's not gonna happen if MS haven't fixed the breakage.)

Happily I don't need to be an early adopter (my main desktop has a 7700K so it isn't even compatible, LOL) so I will see if it still has major issues in 6 months or so and plan my next build accordingly. (Tempted by 12th gen Intel but since that depends on Win 11, it's not gonna happen if MS haven't fixed the breakage.)

Personally, I'm making the upgrade to 12th gen now but will stick with Win10 for a bit longer to let MS sort things out. It will still be a chunk faster than what I am using now.

I've been living in the MS stack for many years now and while this pays the bills, I've never been a MS evangelist. They generally have good software, but it almost always has a breaking in period while they fix things up. I generally wait 6 months or longer after a new product is released.

I skipped Vista and only had my gaming computer running Win 8 and 8.1. My devbox went from XP -> Win 7 -> Win 10.

Win 8 was an improvement for gaming. It recognized USB devices better and faster and had a few other improvements, but it was horrible for running triple screens for work, so I passed on it.

I'm fairly sure Win 11 will be fine and I was just poking fun. After a settling in period, I'll make the jump first on my gaming computer and then on my development box.

(Tempted by 12th gen Intel but since that depends on Win 11, it's not gonna happen if MS haven't fixed the breakage.)
Not really. Gamersnexus did some win 10 vs win 11 benchmarks and you only gain some fps in some games. You even lose some fps in other games...
If all goes south, you can simply disable the E-Cores in the bios. The performance gain for games will be the same, energy consumption while doing office stuff might be a bit higher and of course the overall full load multicore performance will suffer the most.
But how often do you use 100% your cpu?

Not really. Gamersnexus did some win 10 vs win 11 benchmarks and you only gain some fps in some games. You even lose some fps in other games...
Yeah, it was mainly the observations of inconsistent speed that were bothering me (when E cores were used I guess).
If all goes south, you can simply disable the E-Cores in the bios.
True, and you've now reminded me that they even added a special BIOS-related option to let you hit scroll-lock and disable them on the fly (or maybe that's only on certain mobos).
100% use of CPU? Very very rare - a heck of a lot more rare than I told myself when I justified the 7700K at the time :roflmao:

True, and you've now reminded me that they even added a special BIOS-related option to let you hit scroll-lock and disable them on the fly (or maybe that's only on certain mobos).
100% use of CPU? Very very rare - a heck of a lot more rare than I told myself when I justified the 7700K at the time :roflmao:
And some reviewers showed that disabling the e cores gives better efficiency for gaming!
Same fps, a few Watt less due to not having to keep the e cores alive.
As long as you don't get 100% load on the p cores, you won't see any fps increase anyway from the e cores.
For acc, 4 cores will handle the game just fine between them and 2 cores will handle windows and everything else. No need to put these tasks on the E cores.

They are only great to have if you have a game needing all P cores to almost full extend. Then you can push stuff onto the E cores with lower priority.
And then win 11 can handle it better but overall, I don't see any reason right now to not simply disable the e cores and use win 10.
The 20-30% performance increase is nice enough in its own

TL:DR - Always wait for the 1st Service Pack/Major Update before upgrading any OS.

Currently running 10Pro and will wait until sometime in 2022 to upgrade. There are always bugs and issues with an initial release. New features and UI's are nice, but system stability is critical... best to let others beta test the release before upgrading.

Such excellent advice!!! Thank you so much. I forgot about waiting for the first Service Pack to come out, which is what I'll do, even though my PC can upgrade right now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%