Hold a little longer with Win10 Upgrade, Win11 is coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Staying on Win 7 is only viable if you are comfortable being your own AV system and don't mind being unable to run lots of newer apps.
I understand what you are saying - but at the moment the 2 issues in my post above is the only issues I have with Win7.
All my favorite games and all the socalled apps I need runs happily on my Win7.
Its only the mentioned SXFI and VR that needs me to (probably) create a double boot system - sometime.

All the advertising based BS about being left back is entertaining to read
- hehe but also pretty goofy because I exactly know where this commercial oppinion does originate. :roflmao:

Yes, high end Gamers have been forced to W10+.. Fortunatly, a lot of good tools is out for turning off unwanted processes.
W7 Driver updates is going to be a hazzle, for me too someday.
Not for now.. ;)

Linux gaming is coming on strong.
Not for everyone, though.

I'm old fashioned. Keeping on hugging the things that still works.

I only use my gaming computer for VR. So for me Win 7 is a dead end.

I also have a latest gen CPU and will have a 40 series GPU. So dead dead dead.

Please understand that I held on to my Win 7 development system until I was forced off of it because of my development tools. So I put that upgrade off for many years.

I also had a copy of Photoshop that wouldn't upgrade and would require a subscription and it wasn't the only product I would have to buy. I was running the last version of Office before the subscription such that it was many years out of date. I lost my copy of Visio etc..

I should add that since Windows 7, I've not seen any obvious useful user features in new OS releases.

Windows 8 and 8.1 were a step backwards for UI. That was a huge misstep. They thought they could have an all in one phone/tablet/PC operating system. It's possible, but what they delivered was a compromise that hurt the desktop experience.

Windows 10 fixed the windows 8 UI issues.

I've always hidden and disabled Cortana and their store.

So while MS products are my bread and butter I'm not a big fan of many decisions they've made over the years.

Even in the niche I live in they continually change direction and have unneccessary churn. I was burnt by their abandoning Silverlight. They have changed many of my tools multiple times, frequently replacing them with not quite cooked alternatives.

Please understand that I held on to my Win 7 development system until I was forced off of it because of my development tools. So I put that upgrade off for many years.
Sounds a bit like me.:)
The difference could be that I dont have felt the need to "upgrade" because the PShop and Office and some graphical tools and everything else I use runs happily under Win7.
But as it hopefully can be read from most of my posts above Im in no crusade for others to keep Win7.
And therefore this is my last post argumenting how much I love my Win7 Ultimate.
Last post for now :roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning this SW/HW specs thing then I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my specs displayed under my posts. But I cant figure it out. Absolutely not.

But here they are - and as I said all these goodies love my good old Win7 :D
My system: Win7 Ultimate SP1, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 12Gb mem, Xeon x5670, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB,
NEC 20WGX2(1680x1050), Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1, Sennheiser HD 424, Simraceway SRW-S1(non-FFB wheel).

Sounds a bit like me.:)
The difference could be that I dont have felt the need to "upgrade" because the PShop and Office and some graphical tools and everything else I use runs happily under Win7.
But as it hopefully can be read from most of my posts above Im in no crusade for others to keep Win7.
And therefore this is my last post argumenting how much I love my Win7 Ultimate.
Last post for now :roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Conserning this SW/HW specs thing then I have been pulling my hair out trying to get my specs displayed under my posts. But I cant figure it out. Absolutely not.

But here they are - and as I said all these goodies love my good old Win7 :D
My system: Win7 Ultimate SP1, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 12Gb mem, Xeon x5670, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB,
NEC 20WGX2(1680x1050), Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1, Sennheiser HD 424, Simraceway SRW-S1(non-FFB wheel).
Thanks..
Doctor's order : you seems to be running single-channel Ram, m8

Doctor's order : you seems to be running single-channel Ram, m8
If I remember right - and Im pretty sure I do - I bought some extra ram to be able to top up all ram slots.
So Im running tripple channel ;)
Hehe why I say Im pretty sure is because I build this vintage PC more than 10 years ago - so my personal memory is probably not running full tripple channel anymore. :roflmao:

From the P6T Deluxe V2 manual:
D*: Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the orange slots and the black slots as two set of Triple-channel memory configuration.

I ran the app to see if my computer was win 11 ready and it had the audacity to tell me my computer wasn't good enough. It's just some bios settings but still, saying it in front of my PC, I think it's depressed now.

Something to do with secure boot. I had a quick go at fixing it but it broke the boot up so I'll have to read up on it.

Depressed lol ;)

I think you will find it is the TPM bios setting you need to turn on most every board I remember has it off by default
Setting secure boot and TPM makes no difference to anything so I just leave them on so my W10 towers are happy :p

P.S.
The other things, CSM disabled and all partitions formatted GPT where possible
This is what stops some people from upgrading OSes, they don't have the storage to move and backup everything to do reformat ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back