Hold a little longer with Win10 Upgrade, Win11 is coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 197115

• Deleted member 197115

Microsoft officially announced its next iteration of Windows today, Windows 11. The new OS will feature a number of improvements over Windows 10, for everything from productivity to gaming. And, much like the upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to 10, going from Windows 10 to 11 will be completely free.

On the gaming side, Microsoft is bringing a number of features to Windows 11 that first debuted on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. The new OS will include auto-HDR, which will automatically upgrade a game's lighting and color to HDR, as long as your system supports it. According to corporate vice president of Xbox, Sarah Bond, over 1,000 games will support this feature, including Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Rocket League, DayZ, and even Doom 64.

TL:DR - Always wait for the 1st Service Pack/Major Update before upgrading any OS.

Currently running 10Pro and will wait until sometime in 2022 to upgrade. There are always bugs and issues with an initial release. New features and UI's are nice, but system stability is critical... best to let others beta test the release before upgrading.

I'd been running Windows10 Pro on the Microsoft DEV channel....so all release candidates.
Windows11 is now installed and running every one of my sims just fine...no issues.

Attachments

• Win11.PNG
    Win11.PNG
    600.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Could you do a custom 3 and 4 threads cb15 run and tell me the score?
I'd like add it to my excel sheet :)
Did test but the weird thing is R15 is reporting the OS as Win8.
The score with both 3 and 4 thread is 251
Multi is 1773
Not sure I trust the result if the OS is listed incorrectly.

Attachments

• R15_Win11 multi test (FILEminimizer).PNG
    R15_Win11 multi test (FILEminimizer).PNG
    278.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 4 thread R15 W11 (FILEminimizer).PNG
    4 thread R15 W11 (FILEminimizer).PNG
    271.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 3 thread R15 W11 (FILEminimizer).PNG
    3 thread R15 W11 (FILEminimizer).PNG
    286 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Did test but the weird thing is R15 is reporting the OS as Win8.
The score with both 3 and 4 thread is 251
Multi is 1773
Not sure I trust the result if the OS is listed incorrectly.
Thanks for doing these!
I think you hit the single core button when doing the 3 and 4 threads runs. 251 is definitely single thread score (which is still impressive!).

OS listing is just the program reading out some specs from some entries windows provides, similar to the cpu clock.

Definitely trustworthy no matter what's listed there as the scores are simply the time it took to render the same stuff no matter which windows version you're on.

Could you do a real 3 and 4 thread run?
Scores should be about 2.7x 251 and 3.7x 251.

The interesting part is how well the cpu can maintain high clockspeeds and performance when stressing more than one core.
The previous Ryzen Gens were quite famous for superb single thread scores but dropping down a lot when stressing more than one core.
Which meant when a game used 4-5 cores, Intel would crawl away in performance.

EDIT: Found your Win10 scores in my Excel sheet: 723 for 3 threads and 928 for 4 threads.
Scaling down to single thread would be 241 and 232.

So would be very interesting to see the real 3 and 4 thread scores in Win11! :geek:

Last edited:
Thanks for doing these!
I think you hit the single core button when doing the 3 and 4 threads runs. 251 is definitely single thread score (which is still impressive!).

OS listing is just the program reading out some specs from some entries windows provides, similar to the cpu clock.

Definitely trustworthy no matter what's listed there as the scores are simply the time it took to render the same stuff no matter which windows version you're on.

Could you do a real 3 and 4 thread run?
Scores should be about 2.7x 251 and 3.7x 251.

The interesting part is how well the cpu can maintain high clockspeeds and performance when stressing more than one core.
The previous Ryzen Gens were quite famous for superb single thread scores but dropping down a lot when stressing more than one core.
Which meant when a game used 4-5 cores, Intel would crawl away in performance.

EDIT: Found your Win10 scores in my Excel sheet: 723 for 3 threads and 928 for 4 threads.
Scaling down to single thread would be 241 and 232.

So would be very interesting to see the real 3 and 4 thread scores in Win11! :geek:

Attachments

• (FILEminimizer) 3 thread_CPU.PNG
    (FILEminimizer) 3 thread_CPU.PNG
    674.5 KB · Views: 134
  • (FILEminimizer) 4 thread_CPU.PNG
    (FILEminimizer) 4 thread_CPU.PNG
    698 KB · Views: 114
Nice! Seems like Win11 improves things especially when stressing more cores.
723 -> 741
928 -> 990

My 10600k only delivers 628 and 821 points...
In theory, when I just drop below the magic VR 90 fps, you push out 106.2-108.5 fps, depending on whether the sim is closer to 3 or 4 threads.

With the old Win10 scores, it would result in theoretical 103.6-101.7 fps (3-4 threads).

7 fps with 4 stressed cores doesn't seem much, but can mean everything when at the limit of enjoyment towards syncing issues :whistling:

TL:DR - Always wait for the 1st Service Pack/Major Update before upgrading any OS.

Currently running 10Pro and will wait until sometime in 2022 to upgrade. There are always bugs and issues with an initial release. New features and UI's are nice, but system stability is critical... best to let others beta test the release before upgrading.

Servicepacks do not exist anymore. The last one was for Windows 7 about 10 years ago. As for major updates, please consider this information before giving technical/security advise:
  • Major = Windows 10, you just gave the advice to wait until Windows 11 comes out before updating.
    • Minor = 0 and this will probably stay 0.
      • Build = code representing the 1809 and 1903 releases
        • Revision = some other code
Open CMD and the first line you'll see is your exact version.

Now for some actual 2021 advice. Always update Windows 10 to the latest version. It's OK to postpone an update for a week or maybe 2. But always update. If you have any reason not to update your Windows OS, then you probably have IT knowledge about specific Windows environments, for example for corporate use. If you don't have any reason or simply have no knowledge about the subject: just use auto updates.

... best to let others beta test the release before upgrading.

Windows has the Insiders Program to which you can freely subscribe. The Windows 11 test build was released end of june 2021. The OS goes public end 2021 (based on rumours). During this beta period you can find information on (known) issues on blogs all over the internet. With a bit of luck there's someone with the same hardware as you.

Windows 11 will just be a Windows 10+ edition. The past years Microsoft said they'd keep using version 10 for a long time, but it seemed the guys from marketing won and so Windows 11 was born. Don't expect a new motor, it will just be a fresh paint job and improved compound ;)

Yes there can be bugs, yes a huge f*ckup is also possible as soon as Windows 11 gets released. Microsoft uses the WHQL testing method which catches many issues beforehand. It's just a little more complicated than, for example, Apple which only uses its own hardware for their MacOS.

Would one really be advised to upgrade to 11 so soon? I'd maybe wait a while, like a year even.
I guess the incentive is you get it for free, if you wait you'll have to pay.
I'll probably upgrade (if I can), I've never really had any issues with a new version of windows.

My plan long term is to split my current PC in two, a work PC and a gaming PC. So I'll go with Win11 on the PC and when the split comes buy a new copy of win11 for the gaming PC.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back