HoiHman Race Rig & Rims showcase

Annotation 2019-06-17 034601.jpg

Now one who bought it.:sneaky: Took this image right after getting the package. I think I will need to post an individual thread saying how awesome it is.

Hey @HoiHman just wondering what was the cost of the GS-5 door to door? I’m considering picking one up now that I’ve completed my HT room.

Also how does the size compare to a normal bucket seat, I’m using a Sparco Rev II at the moment which feel great fit wise but the GS-5 looks a lot bigger?

Thanks.

Now the DUO. This two steering wheels will prevent me from being jealous to anyone who have expensive steering wheels like the cube control GPX. Yeah the GPX is expensive, but what I have now are one-offs, very well-made one-offs at that. You cannot beat one-offs.:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:
Annotation 2019-06-21 174525.jpg

Hey @HoiHman just wondering what was the cost of the GS-5 door to door? I’m considering picking one up now that I’ve completed my HT room.

Also how does the size compare to a normal bucket seat, I’m using a Sparco Rev II at the moment which feel great fit wise but the GS-5 looks a lot bigger?

Thanks.
You mean you want to buy the GS-5 from Henk? Then you have to ask in a private message, but I bet Henk won't sell it, like he mentioned in his review:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/hoihmans-gs-5-review.166874/
"The GS-5 is an expensive add-on but if feels like something once it's on your rig, it wil never leave. This has always been the case with the GS-4 and was the reason why it has been almost impossible to buy one used in the last couple of years. Nobody who has one wants to race without."

If you talk about the new one, it can be purchased on the official website:
https://simxperience.com/en-us/products/motionsimulatorkits/gs-5g-seat.aspx
The price is 2999 USD. Be sure to use a credit card that does not have foreign transaction fee if you do not live in the US(SimXperience is a US company). For the shipping, be prepare to pay a lot for it as it is really heavy. You can get the quote by using the website.

Last edited:
There have been quite a few updates to rig in the last couple of weeks.

Using the SimFeedback beta, which i have been testing, i have installed an active seatbelt tensioner using the one of SFX100 servos ( which i had in stock as a spare )

image (6).jpg

The add-on belts are guided over rolls on bearings to insure smooth operation

image (7).jpg

The entire construction is mounted on the seat base of the GS-5, which has the great advantage that the seatbelt tensioner works in all seating positions because it slides backwards / forwards with the seat.

The rotaries on the second console are exclusively used for on the fly adjustments. Things like RPM intensity of the Buttkickers, FFB strength and Intensity of SimFeedback can all be adjusted while driving.

The brake balance knob is also a joystick and super handy for navigating in menus.

image (8).jpg

I installed a big red "Engine Start" button for starting / stopping the motion

The next release of SimFeedback will support start / stop SimFeedback through the extension that my son developed. (available with the next release)

image (9).jpg

The belts are loose when i put them on, which makes clicking them in the center lock very easy.

As soon a i press start, they tighten up. ( see video below )

Right now only the rear belts are actively tensioned and the lower ones are passive, but i'm looking into having all four belts tensioned with one the one servo.

Last edited:
The oculus has been replaced by the Valve Index, with 2 light houses. No controllers

HMD_3.jpg

Literally the biggest update is the new screen.

The Acer 34" has been replaced by the Samsung C49RG90. Which is 49" and has a resolution of 5120x1440 @120Hz

image (10).jpg

image (11).jpg

IMG-20190727-083606.jpg

IMG-20190727-083628.jpg

It's mounted on the rig and is moving with the motion. In a dark room it's almost like you are racing in VR and the screen is big enough so i can look into the corners like in VR or triples.

The entire screen has been reinforced on the back and is mounted on an 8mm aluminium plate. Installing / removing it can be done within a couple of minutes, the process has been optimized using only 4 bolts.

IMG-20190727-102028.jpg

I made my own desktop stand, so the 49" can also be used for productivity or playing an FPS game

IMG-20190727-102611.jpg

With the 49" on the rig i'm using moderate motion profiles, but the seatbelt tensioner and the GS-5 can still be used at max settings so it can be still a quite intensive experience.

Concerning the immersion factor the Valve Index wins and there's no match between VR and the 49"

But there are still a lot good race games that don't have VR support. There's also the comfort factor. Playing on the 49" with great visuals is a nice change from racing in VR. I'm also getting tired from the fact that even a 2080Ti is still not enough in VR. Racing on a monitor is problem free with awesome graphics

When i race in VR i still remove the monitor and install the seaflows for the more intensive windsim.

Adding second controller also extended my number on USB connecting now have to use to connect everything to my PC. I have a lot of EMI issues and could only solve this by extending the number of USB plugs to 5 instead of the previous 2.

Since i did not want to plug/unplug 5 different USB cables everyday, i combined the in 2 big plugs and plugging these 2 is actually easier than a normal USB cable, since i'm always aware of the right orientation.

image (12).jpg

Last edited:
NIce update and superb addition, its a brill monitor for sure. No doubt all these updates are adding greatly to the fun the rig will bring. Such a great example of what can be done these days.

I really like the idea of being able to use the monitor with base and easily add it to rig. Although personally Henk, not that keen on the solution used this time. I can understand why you want to give the monitor more support than just via its mount points with all the rigs motion.

From the photos, hard to tell for sure but it seems maybe a bit bulkier and over complexed than it needs to be. Also, you mentioning having reduced the amount of motion too.

I believe a part curved base plinth support for underneath combined with dual upright supports for the monitor's main mount points would be enough. Although if I may suggest, I would add to this antivibration materials to give the whole support for the monitor some shock reduction form the jerks the motion will induce. Including perhaps using soft anti-vibe isolators on mounting plate bolts to essentially copy what this seat method does.

There are loads of options in antishock mounts (cameras/drones) as well as (mechanical/industrial) use examples. Certainly, are some creative ways to incorporate such for monitors but yeah a monitor this expensive I would want to have it well installed with no worries from the vibes and shocks of the motion.

EMI Issues?
Possible Option 1
Possible Option 2
Possible Option 3

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments and advice Rodney,

The Vesa mount on the Samsung is a very thin only 1,5-2mm steel bracket which is held in place by only 4 tiny M4 bolts.

Without the extra support, just hitting start/stop button, which raises the platform, causes quite some wobble. I'm afraid that without proper support the Vesa mount will tear of after longer usage.

That's why i added the support on the bottom, but for surge movements, you als need extra support on the top. The support is also used for mounting the wind sim. I agree it looks a bit bulky on the back, but in my opinion it's absolutely necessary to support monitor on all those places.

I have no isolation between monitor and the rig, since isolation would just cause extra wobble which would influence the clarity of vision.

As for EMI, believe i have tried them all :)

A general solution for all affected SFX100 users.

If you have a problem with an USB device, ground the ground cable of that device to your 80/20 rig and your problems are solved. This even works with the Valve Index.

Just made the switch and timed how long it took to make the transition

-monitor off and on the desk
-seaflows back on the rig
-Hanging the Valve Index on the dashboard bracket

Is done under 4 minutes :cool:

image (15).jpg

@Mr Latte, i also realized on very important function of the extra support bars on the back.

You really need them if you want to move a monitor this size. You need something to grab hold of and have controle over such a big item.

Last edited:
Bit confused, you said you had a lot of EMI issues and now mention a working solution. I only linked some possible options as I don't know what other people have tried or if more than one solution can/does work? Clearly, though products are used/available for this issue, even the original Playstation wired controllers used something akin to option 1.

As for the dampening for the monitor.
A display could already be vibrating causing potential blurring, the point of the isolation/dampening is not to add extra wobble as you mention but to stabilize the monitor. The same principle is used on cameras for drones etc.

I would NOT rely on the monitor's own mounting solution for a motion rig, we certainly agree on that but will look into this with my own build. I've looked at different possibilities but nothing beats putting something to the test which of course you already are discovering.

As for the dampening for the monitor.
A display could already be vibrating causing potential blurring, the point of the isolation/dampening is not to add extra wobble as you mention but to stabilize the monitor. The same principle is used on cameras for drones etc.

The key to damping cameras on drones is that they have a known frequency range that the motors run and they can specifically dampen for that, however a drone that is filming is not being jerked around. They tend to be flown very smoothly with the gimbals maintaining line of site with the target.

Dampening a monitor for an SFX-100 would much be trickier because the of the weight of the monitor and the variation of the signals going into it. Using various durometer Sorbothane or rubber pads in the mounting would be tricky and need to be one step removed from the fragile monitor mount points. This would mean an entire rigid cage would need to be attached to the monitor and that cage would need to be dampened. The only thing I could think of that might work well would be a fluid based dampener like used on a mountain bike. My bike has a system that senses impulses and dampens out the sharp impulses but maintains pressure for slower pedal strokes so as not to lose energy. In this way the monitor would shake less for vibrations, but hold tight for slower larger surges.

I think his rigid mount and large supporting structure is likely the best solution without major expense and engineering time to optimize a solution for his use. By the time he had completed a dampened solution, there would be added weight and potentially bulk making ease of attachment/detachment more painful.

The key to damping cameras on drones is that they have a known frequency range that the motors run and they can specifically dampen for that, however a drone that is filming is not being jerked around. They tend to be flown very smoothly with the gimbals maintaining line of site with the target.

Dampening a monitor for an SFX-100 would much be trickier because the of the weight of the monitor and the variation of the signals going into it. Using various durometer Sorbothane or rubber pads in the mounting would be tricky and need to be one step removed from the fragile monitor mount points. This would mean an entire rigid cage would need to be attached to the monitor and that cage would need to be dampened. The only thing I could think of that might work well would be a fluid based dampener like used on a mountain bike. My bike has a system that senses impulses and dampens out the sharp impulses but maintains pressure for slower pedal strokes so as not to lose energy. In this way the monitor would shake less for vibrations, but hold tight for slower larger surges.

I think his rigid mount and large supporting structure is likely the best solution without major expense and engineering time to optimize a solution for his use. By the time he had completed a dampened solution, there would be added weight and potentially bulk making ease of attachment/detachment more painful.

Some people will not even attach monitors to motion rigs to avoid the extra issues/problems it may bring. I suppose that is down to personal preferences too or concerns over the display for any advantages it may bring if mounted to being static.

Nobody mentioned using Sorbothane rubber pads and if Henk has no vibration issues or concerns with his solution that's what matters. Personally, I don't think adding some professional antivibration materials is a bad idea or possible some form of dampening that still keeps the monitor securely mounted but better protected. Its just an opinion, but one that has seen what multiple large Buttkickers can do to a solidly mounted TV physically shaking the crap out of the display.

When I look at this taking onboard the factors and if my own build has to cope with issues from not only the motion as well as high energy tactile. Then I am not convinced the extra time, effort and costs are worth spending on even seeking a solution over having the display static.

I don't know what the thoughts are from motion users on having static or attached displays as what's best but clearly, lots of motion users have static screens and don't feel the real need to attach them. Down to the user I suppose.

Last edited:
Please don't take my comment as disrespectful. I've love to see the results of passion.
No offense taken, mate. I thought I was at a place of settling down and focusing on driving months ago when I bought two wheels from Henk. Now he updated his show case, makes me want to burn cash again.... which is usually not a good thing.

BTW here is a picture of my stuff. The AMG wheel was made my Henk
racedep 8.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%