HoiHman Race Rig & Rims showcase

Superb as always, plenty here to marvel at.
Do you find even with VR, having a wheel replicate or match the driven car also adds to the immersion?

Absolutely, if your virtual steering wheel matches up with the one to are actually holding in your hands, finding the right buttons is a matter of looking down in VR at the ingame steering wheel and pressing the matching button on your actual wheel.

It really adds to the immersion

I have finished the Honda Acura NSX GT3 replica for my personal use

The wheel is build with the same technique as the BMW Wheel. It has a full high gloss carbon top plate, but this top plate is not simply bolted on the rear cover but inclosed at the front which gives the wheel a much cleaner look

image (26).jpg

I have also added LED light strips to my closet where all the wheels are stored. A small overview of my current wheel collection

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people awed by your rig, and particularly its mobility. And making all those wheels on top of it...

But with this latest wheel it's obvious you've been holding out on us. I would like to learn more about the robot butler you designed and built to bring you a beverage whenever you push the Drink button. :)

Add me to the list of people awed by your rig, and particularly its mobility. And making all those wheels on top of it...

But with this latest wheel it's obvious you've been holding out on us. I would like to learn more about the robot butler you designed and built to bring you a beverage whenever you push the Drink button. :)

Thanks,

The drinking robot might be a good idea :whistling:

Right now i'm still working on re-stocking my sim racing closet . I'm re-building the Mercedes AMG GT3 wheel and the BMW DTMv2 wheel, which both have been moved on to new owners and thus where missing from the video above.

Getting the parts needed from China becomes a bigger challenge every day and i'm still waiting for parts which should have arrived over a month ago.

Besides rebuilding the BMW & Mercedes rims, i'm also working on a Nissan Nismo GTR GT3 rim

Nissan-GTR-step-10-mirrored-v1.jpg

Since the building & designing has become a second (or sometimes even primary) hobby, i have invested in a wireless 3D connection spacemouse pro which makes navigating in Fusion 360 so much easier.

9200000066053627.jpg

I have also have a Turn Racing R8 2020 barebone on order for creating an Audi R8 GT3 replica wheel (from ACC)

So there's still enough stuff to do :)

I have done some minor improvements to the rig including better (VR) cable management and some further optimizations to decrease the setting up time. I don't believe there's much more time to gain any more.

Every time i set up i the rig i enjoy all the optimizations i have done over the last 17 months. Cables and (quick) connectors are right where i expect/want them to be and it makes stuff so much easier & faster.

Right now installing the rig is such a breeze, that even for a short 15-20 min session, i'm not reluctant to roll the rig into my office from the other room and connect it. Due to a minor medical injury longer sessions are not recommended at the moment.

I love having the ability to be able to adjust (downtune) the strength of the AccuForce FFB and SFX-100 motion on the fly so i can sometimes extend my time in the rig a bit longer.

Parallel to designing and building the four rims mentioned above, i'm still looking to see if it's possible to add a surge slider to my rig in the distant future.

But only if it has no effect on the setting up time or mobility of the rig.

The SFX100 + Belt tensioner + GS-5 (modded) already provide plenty of surge effects, but we sim racers always want more:D

Last edited:
For your rig, did you start with an off-the shelf rig like the P1 and then customize it, or did you design your own frame from the start?

I wouldn't know what to do with out my Space Mouse, Lol

They are ridiculously handy, and FWIW you dont need the Flag ship Pro version, The compact is identical minus a bunch of buttons i dont think i would use anyways.

For your rig, did you start with an off-the shelf rig like the P1 and then customize it, or did you design your own frame from the start?

An off-the self rig would require too much customisation in order to make it mobile so i designed mine from scratch and ordered all the parts pre-cut.

An off-the self rig would require too much customisation in order to make it mobile so i designed mine from scratch and ordered all the parts pre-cut.

Interesting. I considered the P1 a great starting point, but I suspect you had a clearer idea of.your end goal than I did.

Interesting. I considered the P1 a great starting point, but I suspect you had a clearer idea of.your end goal than I did.
I also think that some people can just look at stuff and mentally visualize out how it's all going to fit together, while others need to actually get the stuff, start fitting things together, and physically try things out.

I also think that some people can just look at stuff and mentally visualize out how it's all going to fit together, while others need to actually get the stuff, start fitting things together, and physically try things out.

I kind of did both

I looked at the P1 but it was too large for me.

My problem was that my rig needs to go through a narrow door and has to be moved around a counter in the other space

So i took the measurements and started to design the whole rig from scratch in fusion 360

Racemode

race-mode.png

I definitely wanted to keep my dashboard, so i had to find a way to make the rig narrower to get it fitted through the door and reduce the overall length to move it past the counter

Transport mode

GTR-LOGO.png

In the end i did make lot's of adjustments and changes to the overall plan when i had all the 80/20 and started mounting.

I always order way too much of that stuff because i'm afraid i have to wait weeks for additional parts. :)

Progress on the GTR rim:

I have a GTR logo on order from china, but also tried to 3D print one in case the one from China will take too long to arrive.

I have been 3D printing for years, but sometimes the 3D printer still has the ability to amaze me with the quality one can achieve with a little extra effort:

GTR-LOGO (1).png

Last edited:
I made a concept of the Nissan GTR GT3 rim with a 3d printed wheel plate for the fitting and feel the rim in my hands.

Like always the hand grips were the most difficult part and i had to print multiple prototypes to get them just how i want them.

I'm not crazy about the colour of the 3 yellow buttons so i have ordered some green/yellow filament to get a better colour match. Overall i'm pretty happy how it compares to the rim in ACC.

image (27).jpg

Last edited:
Look like in game wheel has 50mm pattern pcd instead of the 70mm, maybe change that?
Or difficulties because of electronics ?

I went for the 70mm pattern for several reasons:

A: Exchangeability with my current QR1's i have right now. When all rims are finished, i will have a collection of 18 different rims, but only 14 QR1's.
B: I have looked online for a GTR logo and the smallest one i could find needs a minimal distance of the 70mm bolt pattern in order to fit.
C: It's easier to fit the electronics in the center of the 70mm pattern, however i believe a 50mm would free up enough space place the electronics in another spot.

I've been watching the 3D printer space for just a few months. The kickstarter IVI looks amazing in terms of detail from a filament printer rivaling resin. I expect to seem more from Prusa this year as well with their XL and refresh of the current i3.

I like what I've seen of Fusion 360 but I've backed off because I think I would get too antsy to buy a printer and I'm waiting a bit longer. However I'm starting to see the potential.

Only 14 q1r :D poor Henk :D

OT: wheel looks good! Although it is a relatively simple design, I still like it

Oh and FYC on the wheel but it is FCY in-game ;)

Thx Johnny, i can't believe i missed that :redface:

That button needed a reprint anyway since i didn't like how the "Y" came out. There's a tiny blob on it. The design is not that complicated and i really don't need another GT3 rim, but it's matter being occupied with other things than sim racing at the moment.

And, i'm sucker for rims with bright flashy colors :D

Another problem i'm running into is that i'm now really running out of space.

I finished the bottom shelf today with some white plates and the 3D printer is running full time to print brackets to hang up the rims.

But.... there isn't enough space left to hang them all :(

Alternatively i could sell a couple, but....i consider them all pieces of art and just love looking at them from time to time when i need to be in the closet for other things.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back