Hoernle's Belt Tensioner - Detailed Build Instructions

Dear Simracing friends,

Introduction
After many hours of work I finished the build instructions for my belt tensioner that requires only standard tools for its assemly.
The goal was to design a compact belt tensioner capable of pulling shoulder and waist belts simultaneously by using 3D printed and off-the-shelf parts. Since I received massive help from the simracing community, I would like to share these build instructions with all of you.

What is a belt tensioner?
A belt tensioner uses telemetry data provided by the simulation software of your choice to translate those into movements of belts from a harness. Simply speaking, if you brake the belts will pull you back to simulate the feeling of being pressed into the racing harness under breaking.

Costs
The build will set you back roughly 420€ if you already possess a controller (Arduino Leonardo or Thanos) and a harness.

Software
Similar to the SFX100, you can run the belt tensioner with all common motion simulation softwares e.g. SimFeedback, SRS, FlyPT and more. The system can be fine-tuned to everyones liking.

Where are the instructions?
Follow this link to find the most current version 1.3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zObA9j1YTS1SuNJGmorgw5Okn7C-JL-q/view?usp=drive_link

Do you have other questions? Let me know.

Best,
Hoernle

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1066209

Thanks for sharing a well-detailed set of instructions.

I am curious as to why you've opted to drive the harnesses using a larger gear, as opposed to directly driving from the servo's shaft. Is it for better details?

Thanks for sharing a well-detailed set of instructions.

I am curious as to why you've opted to drive the harnesses using a larger gear, as opposed to directly driving from the servo's shaft. Is it for better details?
With 4 tensioned belts the servo gets hot if you use the servo shaft to drive the system. A 90ST has 2.4NM which is fine for 2 belts but struggles with 4. The gear ratio results in sacrificing rpm (reduction from 3000 to 750rpm) for more torque (increase from 2.4 to 9.6NM). More torque allows you to run the belt tensioner at a higher intensity without putting too much stress on the servo.

• Deleted member 1066209

Oh, I see, thanks! I'm surprised that 4 belts could stress a 90ST like that. I've always assumed that they could handle anything simracing-related.

Maybe you've got a steel abdomen.

Thank you very much for this excellent guide.
I´ll probably give it a try in the near future, as soon as I have better understanding of the electronic side. I really am "mechanically gifted":redface:

MFG Carsten

(and, damn, I hoped I´d gotten over idea of an active harness system :rolleyes:)

Hi Hoernle

Just find your excellent description to diy a belt tensioner here at racedepartment. I must build it was my first thought! Looks superfun and so pro! I'm already sourcing parts. About the belt? From were and what sort/brand do you bought?
About the servo, there is so many different ones to choose from. I'm almost 100% about this but this cost me more than 400€ so don't want this to fail. This must be the right one?
90ST-M02430 220V 750W
WH version A.
The A 90 or the mod versions is those to avoid i"ll guess?
/Patrik

Last edited:
Hi Hoernle

Just find your exellent description to diy a belt tensioner here at racedepartment. I must build it was my first thought! Looks superfun and so pro! I'm already sourcing parts. About the belt? From were and what sort/brand do you bought?
About the servo, there is so many different ones to choose from. I'm almost 100% about this but this cost me more than 400€ so don't want this to fail. This must be the right one?
90ST-M02430 220V 750W
WH version A.
/Patrik
Hi Patrik,

Great that you like my belt tensioner solution :).

A few points to consider before buying a harness:

1) I would recommend a 5-point harness since the 5th belt between your legs prevents the harness from being pulled upwards under tension.
2) A harness where the shoulder belt come down in parallel instead of merging in one central belt buckle could be also an advantage since it can prevent the shoulder belts from scratching your neck. However, this is dependent on your seat. If the seat openings are close to each other, a parallel harness is certainly better.
3) Make up your mind if you want a 2 or 3 inch harness. 2inch offers the advantage that you can use a 3d printed insert in the shoulder seat opening that raises the exit point of the belts above your shoulder level. This is important otherwise your shoulders are pulled down. 3inch belts provide more contact area to your body which could enhance the tensioning effect. I cannot comment on that since I am using a 2inch harness.
4) Check local homepages for used/expired harnesses. Sometimes people get lucky and find a nice deal there.
5) One affordable harness that ticks all those boxes and is available in 2 and 3inches is this one: https://50caliberracing.com/4-5-poi...oint-harness-seat-belt-50-caliber-racing.html. Credit goes to FlagGhost who initially made me aware of it. Of note, I am using another cheap Tenzo R harness that I cannot really recommend.

Hi Hoernle

Just find your exellent description to diy a belt tensioner here at racedepartment. I must build it was my first thought! Looks superfun and so pro! I'm already sourcing parts. About the belt? From were and what sort/brand do you bought?
90ST-M02430 220V 750W
WH version A.
/Patrik
Concerning the 90St servo motor. Theoretically all the different variants would work for the project. Important is that it is a 90ST M02430 with 3000rpm, 750W and 2.4NM.

The different variants then describe what controller is used, either the black one (BK) or the white one (WH). Please don't use the black one since it emits a high pitched noise. The 8€ more for the white version are 100% worth it.

The difference between versions A and B is that with version B you can unplug the cable on the motor side whereas with versions A is is fixed. I use version A since it is a bit more compact.

Mod describes if the mod bus function is included which allows you to program the motor settings with a software instead of typing the parameters in by hand with the motor controller. In my opinion, mod function is not needed.

The A90 and B90 describes versions where the cable exiting the motor is angled in a 90 degree to make it more compact. I actually don't know exactly why there is a A90 since the cables are fixed on the motor side with variant A.

For your reference, I use the 90ST M02430 in the WH version A.

As a newbie in simracing a new question popped up. Maybe a few more will appear? I now know that I can use a few different softwares to set up the belt tensioner. Unfortunately i don't have the SFX100 motion and not using simfeedback. As it is now i use Simhub for dash, shakers and wind. The belt tensioner add-on in Simhub maybe work with this belt tensioner as well? Have anyone tried? Or maybe it is possible to use both Simhub and other softwares in parallel?

As a newbie in simracing a new question popped up. Maybe a few more will appear? I now know that I can use a few different softwares to set up the belt tensioner. Unfortunately i don't have the SFX100 motion and not using simfeedback. As it is now i use Simhub for dash, shakers and wind. The belt tensioner add-on in Simhub maybe work with this belt tensioner as well? Have anyone tried? Or maybe it is possible to use both Simhub and other softwares in parallel?
This belt tensioner solution requires either an Arduino Leonardo or the Thanos controller to run it. With the Arduino Leonardo you have to use Simfeedback as a software, with Thanos you can use several softwares e.g. SRS, FlyPT or Simcommander. In the guide I describe how to build it with the Arduino.
Simhub will not work to run this belt tensioner but you can have the software running in parallel for other things. I do that as well. Of note, there is also a belt tensioner solution out there that works with Simhub.

The progress proceeds slowly. The motor and driver showed up yesterday. About the settings, should I follow the settings in the guide sfx100? Is that "insert coins" settings you refer to in the guide? Except the setting p98 that should be 8? Or is that only if you have the sfx100 system?

Last edited:
@Falconsurfer these are the settings that I am using.

P8 = 75
P9 = -75
P51 = 500 (rpm)
P97 = 0 or 1 (0 = counter clockwise rotation, 1 = clockwise rotation)
P98 = 8 (corrects for the 1:4 gear ratio)
P109 = 1
P110 = 30
P113 = 20
P114 = 10
P115 = 100

See attachment for the modified small pulley prints with only two jaws. I dont have a two-jaw coupling here so I had to design it with some models I found online. Please try it and report back if they fit or not.

Attachments

• HTD_5M_12_15mm_Coupling_2Jaw v2.stl
    236 KB · Views: 86
  • HTD_5M_12_15mm_Coupling_2Jaw_Tight v2.stl
    232.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Unfortunately not! Didn't realized that these D20L25 couplings had different jaws. Found a shop that had much faster shipping for these 2025 but now i know wrong jaws for the 3d print. My bad, but it's ok. A new one is soon here:)

This is very innovative and thanks for making it public.

How does having 4 belt tensioner (shoulder + waist) compare to the 2 belt (shoulder) tensioners? Is there a noticeable improvement?

This is very innovative and thanks for making it public.

How does having 4 belt tensioner (shoulder + waist) compare to the 2 belt (shoulder) tensioners? Is there a noticeable improvement?
I started with 2 belts and added waist belts later. Immersion wise I like 4 belts more, it's much better.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 343 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years