HistoricX racing club feedback and suggestions

Yves Larose

Premium
Hi guy's

in this thread we'll be talking about suggestions for events, in the next few weeks we'll be trying different things and you are welcome to make suggestions after all its everybody club i will only ask that when you suggest an event that you also think about the less skilled driver so it won't be too hard and not enjoyable for them.

let's start talking :)

:thumbsup: N...I...C...E...!!!
You've been busy already.. Are these all yours or Tim's as well?
I think they really look very period-correct, nothing too wild yet all very different:thumbsup:

I see yours has the optional Rally-lights.. Some night racing coming up soon?:D

Thanks to all for your feedback. As Roland mentions, I've been trying to walk the tightrope of simple, period appropriate liveries, while not being either too boring or too modern.

I see yours has the optional Rally-lights.. Some night racing coming up soon?:D
My plan has been foiled again! Curses!

Nope, just using different genstrings for bumper types. The one I used for mine just had the rally lights as it's definition. As you can see Denis has full width bumpers, and you have the narrow ones - they are what happens when I change a "1" to a "3" in the veh file for instance.

A little more info - I'm aiming to do these as "class-wide" packs, so one for A0, one for A1 etc. I'll be using 7-zip (link here: Click Me) and their own *.7z compression. The reason for this is that it's smarter than *.zip and compresses skins a lot (lot!) more, so to keep sizes reasonable it seems the best way forward. Make sure you have it, otherwise you might struggle to join servers once the skinpacks are installed.

For a pretty graphic example here's the sizes I'm getting for the 3 vehicles, 8 cars per vehicle, 24 cars total I've done so far in a direct zip vs 7z comparison:

So 7z is about as much of a no-brainer as there is.

Hi @Stan . I use the templates published by the Historx team as the base, and then any layer based photo editor (photoshop, paint shop pro, gimp, paint.net) for the actual painting part.

To get them into the correct format for the game, you have to flatten them and save them as DDS files by using the nvidia plugin. The dds files within the cars directory are the body and windows, while the .veh file is a text file defining other parts like engine, physics etc. You have to edit the veh file so the game recognises new cars, and notepad works fine for that.

Last edited:
Would like to make something like that
034Motorsports_Audi_TT-RS-003.jpg

@Stan - Sorry, not sure I understand - you mean that you would like to make something like that for another game, or that you'd like me to make something like that for you in Historx?

If it's the former, I can help you out with how to do it.

If it's the latter, that's way too busy and modern (ie time consuming) for me to do in the packs. I'm trying to keep it at least borderline time appropriate. I could so something that was mostly white with blue & black flashes, but not with all that chequerboard stuff - it would just take too long (it's an irregular and partially missing pattern) and not look right among the rest of the cars.

A chequerboard stripe is doable, but that's about the limit of it, tbh.

Last edited:
Just an update for you all :- a few of us had a pretty successful test of the to-date skinpack last night. We found a couple of very minor errors, basically typos in two *.veh files, one causing a problem with a Renault for Denis, one causing Peter's name to be spelled wrong in the menus, both of which are easy fixes.

It was as good as I could have hoped for really, the actual skins themselves looked good, no graphical corruption and worked fine on all 4 cars (Renault 8 1100/1300, Simca 1150 SS/Corsa). Denis, Peter, Yves & I tested all cars and also jumped into everyone else's skins to make sure they all worked (spoiler alert: they did).

I'm going to be cracking on with it over the weekend, but it's really up to @Denis Betty when he wants to implement these, and for what cars.

Just so everyone knows the score, here's a little FAQ from the questions I've been asked so far:

Q: Will I need to install the skin pack to be able to race?
No, but you need to be aware that if someone else is using a skinpack car, and you don't have it installed, you will see and hear them in the Temp Car throughout the event.

Q: How will we access the skinpack?
After talking to Denis, he will restructure the event threads slightly so there will be a "Required Downloads" section, comprising the track, the pitbox allocation fix and now the relevant skinpack(s).

Q: How are the skinpacks divided?
They are currently being divided by Racing class, so there will be a pack for the A0's, a pack for the A1's etc.

Q: How big are the skinpacks?
That's a little tricky to answer, because honestly "it depends". It depends on how many people want skins, how many cars in the class, etc. Here's an example for you:- So far in A0, I have done 4 cars x 9 people's skins, so 36 cars, and that pack is coming in at approx 8Mb. A0 has 10 vehicles in total, so if no-one else wants a skin, it'll be 90 cars total (10 cars x 9 people). If the scaling stays as it is, a complete A0 pack would come in at about 20Mb. Considering a small track comes in at about 35-45Mb, I don't think that is unreasonable, or onerous.

Q: Is the skin request window closed?
No, absolutely not. If you want a skin, I can accommodate you, as long as you can live with my interpretations and limitations:
No specific livery recreations, and liveries will at least attempt to be period specific. The skinpacks will be constantly updated.

Q: Will I have to install/uninstall for each race?
No - once the packs are installed they can remain in place, and any updates can be installed over the top allowing Overwrites.

Q: Will every car get this treatment?
Maybe in the fullness of time, but some cars have shedloads of default skins, so they will be lower on the list of priorities.

Q: If I have a skin design, will all of my cars be identical?
Similar? Yes. Identical? No. A skin that works on, say, a Renault 8 will probably not work on, say, a 911, so there will naturally be some latitude in design. If a car has a generally accepted classic design I'll often try to recreate that in your colours. If, however, we have multiple cars that use the same model, I'll be reusing skins wherever possible for speed purposes. Hence the R8's will be identical, the Simca 1150's...I'd guess most of the 911's without rear spoilers will be transferable, etc.

If you have any further questions that are not addressed above, please post it in here, and I'll do my best to address it.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years