High ping when a new session starts

Hi, I'm having an issue with an increased ping when a new session starts on some servers. I noticed it first on a www.assetto-fr.tk server which features Nordschleife Endurance 3 lap races. Every time a new session starts my ping instantly jumps from my usual 50 ms to 200 - 1500 ms, stays like that for about two minutes and then goes back to normal. This means that I can't participate in race starts on this server because of an auto kick function. It also happens during qualifying, but I can just rejoin then.
At first, I thought there was something wrong with the server, but then I also noticed similar behaviour, although to a lesser extent, on other servers. Some people suggested that it might be because of my low-end CPU being overloaded and indeed task manager confirmed that it is being utilized at 100% for short periods of time when it happens. The problem with this explanation, however, is that when my ping doesn't jump above 300 and I don't get kicked, when a race is restarted it doesn't jump back up again, as it does at the beginning of a new session.
I tried several things to fix the issue, including setting graphics to lowest, which should, in theory, unload the CPU, but it had no effect. I have a fast cable internet connection in a capital city, so I'm fairly confident that it's not the cause. I also have some mods installed such as car sound mods, helicorsa, acti telemetry and FFBClip.

My specs:
Intel Pentium G4560 3.5Ghz
Geforce GTX 1050
8GB DDR4 2.4Ghz RAM
500GB HDD*

Any ideas as to how to get to the bottom of it?

Last edited:
Yes, I had the same thought. Anyway, I'm glad I found a solution. It was very frustrating to be kicked from a server in the beginning of a race due to a ping peak that would last 15 or 20 seconds. Specially when I was on pole. :(

But finally everything is fine. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back