Cars High gear ratios breaking physics,making every gear rev like first gear

Still working on the big M8 mod-it's in its final stages now,so I'm currently doing some physics adjustments.

Since I've scaled the car up to 1.8 times the original size-that includes the wheels too obviously-I'll have to change the gear ratios to 1.8 times the original gear ratios as well.
But the problem comes in here. If I set the gear ratios a bit too high (like this for example:)
1642808730734.png

The physics goes completely haywire. First gear is the only forward gear that works normally-after that upshifting to any other gear immediately tops out the car-basically it's like every gear has the same ratio.
See here:

1642808837179.png

1642808840578.png

The "gears" tab in the setup menu reflects this as well:
1642808893856.png

Being my first time doing any modding,I hardly have an understanding of how the physics work at all;what could be causing this issue? Is this simply just a simple mistake on my end,or does this have to do with the game engine?

Last edited:
Still working on the big M8 mod-it's in its final stages now,so I'm currently doing some physics adjustments.

Since I've scaled the car up to 1.8 times the original size-that includes the wheels too obviously-I'll have to change the gear ratios to 1.8 times the original gear ratios as well.
But the problem comes in here. If I set the gear ratios a bit too high (like this for example:)View attachment 534677

The physics goes completely haywire. First gear is the only forward gear that works normally-after that upshifting to any other gear immediately tops out the car-basically it's like every gear has the same ratio.
See here:

View attachment 534678
View attachment 534679

The "gears" tab in the setup menu reflects this as well:
View attachment 534680

Being my first time doing any modding,I hardly have an understanding of how the physics work at all;what could be causing this issue? Is this simply just a simple mistake on my end,or does this have to do with the game engine?
I think it has to do with another file that controls the sliders, I don't know what it is called, maybe finals.rto?

Keep in mind that the value ranges you set in setup.ini or in your gear ratio files (anything ending in .rto in the folder) will constrain the car, so if your drivetrain.ini numbers are out of that range you'll get some wonkiness. Not entirely sure that's what's going on here, but I would start by clearing (or commenting out) the gear section in setup.ini to make sure nothing unintended is going on.

I can't think of any good reason those ratios would break the game in and of themselves.

I have got the same problem - with the exception, that I didn't mod anything. I didn't play for like a week and now every car I have tried has the same ratio for each gear. I even tried on different race tracks, so I think that is not the source of the problem. Did you find a way to reset this (without reinstalling)? And have you found out what the problem is?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%