High End PC and FPS problems VR

Hi guys,

I recently updated my PC triying to enjoy Assetto Corsa even more, these are the specs:

Seasonic Focus+ 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 4ghz
Noctua NH-U12S
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, C15)

Samsung Oddyssey + VR
Fanatec CSL Elite bundle

Well, I don´t know where the problem is, but I can´t get 90 stable fps... There you have some pics to ilustrate the problem...

As you can see, CPU cores and GPU are not working enough at all to make 90 fps...

My presets - Very low:

Performance:

f

Some details:

- Fps even drops to 45/50 fps
- Chipset and gpu drivers are up to date
- 150 supersampling on SteamVR
- Ram is on fine presets (3000mhz CL15)
- V-Sync off
- Energy plan: Max performance (cpu limit 100%)
- Nvidia Control Panel by default presets

On the other hand, only to show you and example, in Project Cars 2, you can see how same gear are be able to get 90 fps easily, even all presets max:

I dont like PC2, Im in love with AC....

I hope you could help me because I´m totally frustrated, I spent a lot of money on this, and I have a terrible performance... Pain on my heart watching 50fps

Any advice will be very thankful.

On my system I have all settings in the Nvidia panel set to the description that looks like it gives the most performance. Also I found out about a year ago that if I ticked limit frame rate and set the slider to 90 or 91 it would drop to 45 FPS. Maybe untick limit frame rate and set slider to 0 and it might run as fast as it wants to like it does on my system.

My settings are mid-high on a 1080ti and a 4770k @ 4.3GHZ

On my system I have all settings in the Nvidia panel set to the description that looks like it gives the most performance. Also I found out about a year ago that if I ticked limit frame rate and set the slider to 90 or 91 it would drop to 45 FPS. Maybe untick limit frame rate and set slider to 0 and it might run as fast as it wants to like it does on my system.

My settings are mid-high on a 1080ti and a 4770k @ 4.3GHZ

Hello Jay!

Thank you for your time, I have the same result unlimit fps, and ticking performance Nvidia control panel presets :-(

Im totally frustrated...

• Deleted member 197115

I´m sorry, what is Vanilla launcher?

Thank you
The one that is not Chocolate. :)

Try launch AC directly, do not use any 3rd party apps, remove them completely, use only Kunos tracks and cars, limit AI to like 10.
Your bench looks all right, that suprises me.
Could that be controller issue, try keyboard for testing.
Check the logs.

• Deleted member 379375

Try a benchmark with no Kunos apps running as well . the leaderboard app (F9) sucks up a chunk of fps

The others are right, you gotta bring your software setup into a "must deliver" situation to be comparable and also to narrow down on the issue.

There is no need to give up on CM, it never caused me trouble and never was it the root cause of bad FPS.

The most simple thing is to put yourself at the start of 2 car race on a normal track (so not Monaco). Use a screen without AC Apps but only an FPS visualizer. You should easily get the max FPS. If not, you have a bigger but maybe also simpler to identify problem.

Assuming you are getting your max FPS, well, add more opponents (5,10,15) and find your sweet spot when the FPS start to drop. That is also the way to identify which Video setting etc. has most of the impact on your FPS and which hasn't. In my mind you can't find these details with 1 car cruising and also not with 24 opponents when your FPS is most likely affected by a CPU bottleneck already.

And as Senna said: Then you touch that limit, you can push it a little bit...

The one that is not Chocolate. :)

Try launch AC directly, do not use any 3rd party apps, remove them completely, use only Kunos tracks and cars, limit AI to like 10.
Your bench looks all right, that suprises me.
Could that be controller issue, try keyboard for testing.
Check the logs.

Problem persists with all these options, but I have a clue following @Authense advice. Keep reading please.

Try a benchmark with no Kunos apps running as well . the leaderboard app (F9) sucks up a chunk of fps

I don´t use this app anyway :-(

Also, all python apps that display text consumes considerable amount of fps

I know, Im only use absolutely minimum of them

The others are right, you gotta bring your software setup into a "must deliver" situation to be comparable and also to narrow down on the issue.

There is no need to give up on CM, it never caused me trouble and never was it the root cause of bad FPS.

The most simple thing is to put yourself at the start of 2 car race on a normal track (so not Monaco). Use a screen without AC Apps but only an FPS visualizer. You should easily get the max FPS. If not, you have a bigger but maybe also simpler to identify problem.

Assuming you are getting your max FPS, well, add more opponents (5,10,15) and find your sweet spot when the FPS start to drop. That is also the way to identify which Video setting etc. has most of the impact on your FPS and which hasn't. In my mind you can't find these details with 1 car cruising and also not with 24 opponents when your FPS is most likely affected by a CPU bottleneck already.

And as Senna said: Then you touch that limit, you can push it a little bit...

You are right, CM and Vanilla gives to me all the same result, maybe CM better performance indeed (all shadows off...)

If I run with 2 opponents all its absolutely fine:

As you can see, even using Sidekick and any other apps all is fine, GPU over 85% (never seen before) and MAIN_T under 75%...

The obvious problem thats I want to run online leagues, with over 20 opponents, that was the reason to renew all my gear, to get the best performance for that...

I really dont know what to do at this point, trust me.

Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciatte.

Alex

Well, you won't like to hear it, but why AMD? I have never had issues with Intels. To me it is obvious that your CPU is bottlenecking and the 2080ti is a waste of money if it does. Get yourself a proper Intel CPU, overclock and be happy. Otherwise, search the web for Ryzen issues with 2080ti and what to do about it, because I have no idea regarding this CPU. There might be tweaks or settings to be considered? Also, did you make sure that your VR window is the only Window on the screen? Send all other apps to the background and press ALT-Enter when in VR...I know, this is basic stuff, but who knows, some of this has been driving people crazy for a long time already....

Do you have evidence of the FPS you should be getting, i.e. from Youtube vidoes? It is important to have the correct expectations, a sort of baseline to benchmark your system against....hope you will find your ways.

Hi guys,

I recently updated my PC triying to enjoy Assetto Corsa even more, these are the specs:

Seasonic Focus+ 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 4ghz
Noctua NH-U12S
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, C15)

Samsung Oddyssey + VR
Fanatec CSL Elite bundle

Well, I don´t know where the problem is, but I can´t get 90 stable fps... There you have some pics to ilustrate the problem...

As you can see, CPU cores and GPU are not working enough at all to make 90 fps...

My presets - Very low:

Performance:

f

Some details:

- Fps even drops to 45/50 fps
- Chipset and gpu drivers are up to date
- 150 supersampling on SteamVR
- Ram is on fine presets (3000mhz CL15)
- V-Sync off
- Energy plan: Max performance (cpu limit 100%)
- Nvidia Control Panel by default presets

On the other hand, only to show you and example, in Project Cars 2, you can see how same gear are be able to get 90 fps easily, even all presets max:

I dont like PC2, Im in love with AC....

I hope you could help me because I´m totally frustrated, I spent a lot of money on this, and I have a terrible performance... Pain on my heart watching 50fps

Any advice will be very thankful.
You are using the exact motherboard and CPU I have so let's try this....
Did you update the BIOS to 7B79vA5?
Are you using chipset driver 18.10.30 dated 2018-11-02?
I see you list the CPU as 4 GHz...are you manually over-clocking?
As a word of caution, I set hard limits in the BIOS for my board. I found that the board at its auto settings will ramp CPU voltages as high as 1.438.
I've manually set mine to 1.4 volts on CPU and 1.35 on RAM.
Check those and let me know.

Hi :)
I'm sorry that I can't be bothered to write everything in depth again and again but maybe this will guide and help you:

1. the Ryzen 2600 is not that great for single thread performance and AC only really uses 2 threads but one is bigger than the other one (apps running on it etc) so it's effectively "1.5 threads".
Look at this statistic: PassMark CPU Single thread performance
Ryzen 2600X: 2142 points
My old i7 2600k: 1940 points (but I have it running at 4.4 GHz instead of the regular 3.8 GHz Turbo so it's pretty much even!)
I7 8700k: 2702 points

You see, sadly for the not so big sims (pcars 2 is a 'big one'), the AMDs are not the best. Hopefully it will change with the Ryzen 3xxx series!

2. Windows like to "park" cores when they aren't used. That this is wasting single thread performance is not of interest apparently. So have a look at your Task Manager -> Performance -> Ressource Monitor -> CPU:
RessourceMonitor.JPG

And check if any core is grayed out and have a little "parked" next to it. If yes, google for it and disable core parking!

3. Although you set the CPU min speed in the power plan settings to 100% it doesn't mean that it won't clock down. At least it doesn't do anything at all for my PC and it was the culprit for a lot of micro stuttering in games that don't use much CPU (Rocket League for example). There are different ways of disabling that but sadly they will all drain more energy.
Before you change anything in the BIOS you should first check if the cores are throttling down or not.

How to: Download openhardwaremonitor (little nice tool), enable the "plot" and select (little checkbox on the left) all your cores for plotting.
Then have a look at the CPU speeds. Should look like this:
As you can see my CPU cores are having quite some throttling fun while writing this!
It should be a totally flat line while gaming!
upload_2019-1-1_14-53-37.png

Summary:
While the Ryzen 2600 isn't the greatest CPU for older games that don't multithread very well, it still shouldn't drop that much I think!
So check if cores are parked and if the cores are throttling down! Both might happen very likely with a single thread game combined with a CPU with many cores.

When you checked both we can work on a solution :)

EDIT: I downloaded, installed and ran the PassMark PerformanceTest 9.0 for a quick test and these are my results.
i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz all cores:
upload_2019-1-1_15-7-19.png

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 152 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline