Here are some vital tips on securing your Windows PC extensively and convenient for little cost.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=109597

Don't use anti-virus software like Kaspersky, AVG, Norton because their databases is behind, always update your computer, use only Windows Firewall because third-party firewalls are usually exploitable, turn on DEP, make sure your software is patched, and force certain software to adhere to protection standards.

I uninstalled AVG on my computer and in terms of performance, it took quite a load off.

Read the article and you will understand.

EDIT - I also use the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Avast was good, modern versions are not so great, AVG is actually bit faster for me, but then again I don't need antivirus for much as I have hardware firewall and browser set so that I have to allow anything before they run, emails surely could be an issue, but for those it is same, attachments and html content is not allowed unless I allow those.

It is shame that Avast started to go downhill after that 4.8 version, used to be light and not annoying, but it is now as bloated as others and rather annoying to use, I dislike a lot from these 'modern' user interfaces where artists let to decide over usability and also all that 'ease' to use which makes usage real slow and pain, huge buttons, lot of empty space and you can't do anything after clicking something but wait, that is wrong on such many levels that there is no words to describe it.

It is sad that Avast still is probably one of the best, but it is really far from it used to be in terms of light and swift operating antivirus.

I don't have much problem with e-mails as I delete every e-mail without a read that comes from an unknown address, etc. Not that I get much spam.
Performance wise I don't have problems with the current version of Avast, AVG and MSE caused stuttering for me everywhere, this one doesn't.

I recommend Panda Cloud Antivirus. It´s free and lighter then any of the other antivirus programs out there.

The program itself sits on a server while you only have a few mb of data to run the program.
It uses the internet to send information forth and back to see if there are any suspicious activities going on.

Don´t use Windows Firewall aswell as i see no need to is as Panda Cloud takes care of everything for me. It´s free as wel..

So rather than having an anti-virus program that uses local assets, you would rather use one that uses your bandwidth on the internet? Have you tested to see if there are any issues with lag or other indications that it is interfering with your ability to race with out issue?

I use Eset Smart Security, it is a paid product and it really good imo.

ESET is a very good AV indeed :)

@ Mohamed - very antivirus database is behind. That's how it works. They cam't create a fix for a virus that doesn't exist :)

Turning on DEP is very good advice, however may cause issues if you are running older programs.

Heh, i came here to post a new thread about antivirs but since this is now essentially about that, i'll my question post here..

I've used Avira for may years, apart from nagging screen, it's very light and i've been very happy about it. But recently they took out one important option, the scheduler went to shait...It use to have simple time-of-day option but now it's gone. There is only interval option left, so it updates it self in set amount of hours.. The bad is that now i can't have any control when it's updating excactly to fit better with gaming. Now the damn thing updates usually around midnight and we all know, that is not a good thing.. It was the same in very ancient versions but then i could just put it 24h interval, update manually around 3PM and it would continue to update around that time.. Not anymore, manual update don't reset the timer... And i do want to update databases daily.

So any good alternatives for a free antivirs? I've tried in the past all the free ones and Avira was then the clear winner (ESET was by faaar the worst then, BTW...). Now that the most important option has been offed by marketing department (i bet the scheduler is better in the commercial version..) i have to switch...

So rather than having an anti-virus program that uses local assets, you would rather use one that uses your bandwidth on the internet? Have you tested to see if there are any issues with lag or other indications that it is interfering with your ability to race with out issue?

Yes i´ve tested everything, it works like a charm. It´s super light and it makes no difference to the bandwith for me.

Panda Cloud Antivirus Free.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing