F1 2010 Help with S2 of Shanghai.

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm currently playing through my first career year of seven. I'm in the Lotus and I have all driving aids turned off, the AI on the hardest setting and the braking line on (as I'm learning the tracks... I've only had the game a few days). I've got good results thus far (5th, 9th after a stupid mistake on the penultimate lap and 2nd in Malaysia). No matter what I do though, I can't find a quick line through S2 of Shanghai. I'm purple through S1 and oddly (considering the power of the Lotus and Shanghai's mahousive strait) I'm in the top few in S3 but S2... I'm a second or more off the pace.

Could someone please give me a few pointers, specifically getting the best from an under-steering car that wants to swap ends through turns 4, 10 and 13?

One big thing that makes it hard, you have already mentioned, you are still learning! the Tracks.Also which Setup are you using? Could be an indicator why you have so much understeering @ the ends of the corners.

I can only tell you how i do it and i don't even own this game i'm just playing it for fun a few times in the week with a good buddie.The thing with turn 13 is you have to be right on the spot already in turn 11.If you don't, that fu*** with you on the rest of this right hander.So it would be helpful if you keep the racing line "on" so you understand 100% what i mean.Once you get there try to move the steering wheel as minimal as possible and let yourself drag from the inside to the outside at the end like you normally should do maybe that helps.

With corner 10 i sometimes struggle too, especially on the "hard" tyres.What i do normally is hit the brakes very slightly or remove from the throttle for short period an hit through the corner.On soft tyres it's way easier you can stay on the throttle, at least i can.

I hope that helps you to develop a little bit more.But don't let yourself hang, speed comes only with time and practice there is no way around it.Like my buddie he is constantly 2 or 3 seconds slower then me, but on certain circuits he trained for 3 hours and now he is only 1.5 seconds back from my time.So you see, it can be hard but also a lot of fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an above average driver. On Forza 3 I've had an 11th fastest hot lap time and I'm regularly in the top 200 on the leaderboards even though I don't hot lap (all times are set during races). The same goes with F1 2010, after about fifteen minutes of using the FACT0RY P1L0T setup, I was 429th around Melbourne with a a couple of big mistakes. But, there is just something about the low grip nature of Shanghai, an understeering car and my current lack of feel for the physics system that makes S2 really difficult.

As for the setup I'm using, it's the one posted by Bram Hengeveld with a few minor tweaks to aero levels to suit my driving style and lower gear ratios to account for the lack of power with the Lotus.

I'm still fast through 13, I just feel that I could go faster. Turns 4 and 10 are the ones I have the biggest issues with. I think it's mainly due to the fact I'm so used to Forza and the way it gives you a more obvious indication of the back end loosing traction.

Well then you are way faster then me, sorry it shouldn't have been an insult or something.I just wanted to help ya.Have you finished the weekend in Shanghai? But i have the same problem with the lack of feeling for the rear end of the car.Can you send me some laptimes of yours`or even a video? would be interesting to see how you going that fast in Melbourne.

Well then you are way faster then me, sorry it shouldn't have been an insult or something.I just wanted to help ya.Have you finished the weekend in Shanghai? But i have the same problem with the lack of feeling for the rear end of the car.Can you send me some laptimes of yours`or even a video? would be interesting to see how you going that fast in Melbourne.

No need to apologise, I didn't take it as an insult. It's just that my reply wasn't worded as carefully as it should have been. Your help is appreciated. I kept what you said in mind while I was practising today and I have started to get to grips with a few of the troublesome corners, so thank you.

As I said in my first post, I've only had the game for a week now and the lap times I have set have all been in a Lotus in career mode. With the exception of Melbourne that is. But, soon as I set some times I'll let you know, unless you want career times. In which case just let me know and I'll send you what I've got so far. What format do you play on?

As for the video, I wish I could send you one but I haven't got a PVR to record my gameplay.

I'm happy to share the few tips I have for Melbourne, I hope you find some time in them.

1. Use the FACT0RY PIL0T setup (as seen below) with the McLaren. It currently holds the world record on the Xbox 360. I add a bit of wing to the rear to make it a little easier to drive. It's also very good for career mode with the gear ratios lowered a bit to account for fuel and a bit more rear wing.
2. I've found the quickest way through turn 1 is to take it in 5th gear. It takes a little practice but when you hit the corner just right, it can knock a fair bit of time of your lap.
3. Your entry into turn 11 is critical to a quick lap as is your line through 12. You can cut turn 12 quite a lot with out invalidating the lap time (much more so than in real life). You should be flat through turn 12.
4. Take turn 14 in 5th and turn 15 in 3rd, that way you get better traction into the final corner and the car is more controllable (the same reason I take corner 1 in 5th).
5. As you approach the final corner in 3rd gear, short shift into 4th gear and take a tight line. If you hit the apex correctly, there seems to be more grip on the exit.

melbourne_trackguide.jpg

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 11
Rear Wing Angle: 1

Braking
Balance: F 53 - R 47
Pressure: high
Brake Size: small
Balance
Ballast Distribution: F 70 - R 30
Front Anti-roll Bar: 1
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 11
Suspension
Front Ride Height: 1
Rear Ride Height: 1
Front Spring Stiffness: 11
Rear Spring Stiffness: 1

Gearbox
Gear 1: 89 mph
Gear 2: 107 mph
Gear 3: 124 mph
Gear 4: 142 mph
Gear 5: 161 mph
Gear 6: 180 mph
Gear 7: 204 mph

Engine
Throttle map: Fast
Fuel: N/A

Alignment
Camber front: -1.50
Camber rear: -3.50
Toe front: 0.08
Toe rear: 0.29

I play on Playstation 3 and the good thing is i am starting a new season tomorrow with the "BMW Sauber" (It is the third overall) and so this setup will help me on the second round of that season a lot i hope.I would love to see/hear some lap times of yours to see what i can improve on myself.Best thing is you tell me the lap times of your career mode so i can easily compare.I'm stoked to get those tips on the track.Interesting thing is i always was wondering if that first corner was a 5th or 4th gear thing.Now i know better.I always did in 4th but was still fast, critical is turn 11! quite difficult sometimes to get it down right.If you do your lap time increases so much.Gonna take that in mind and let you know!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%