Help With Mod AI Crashing At Start Of Race.

A couple of mod tracks I've downloaded have AI problems, so I used the AI app and created a new
fast_lane.ai file. Although they now seem a bit better, half a dozen cars still seem intent on plowing into the wall 50ft from the start.
There are settings on the AI app which I haven't got a clue about, would any of those settings prevent the current carnage? If not, what would?
Many thanks.

There are many factors that come into play when recording an AI line. However the settings in that app do not apply to the recording process. They are for programing AI for a car.

The main factor for recording lines is how the surfaces are setup and what areas are "valid track". Likely the surfaces are all screwed up especially if it is your typical rushed conversion. Without fixing the surfaces it will be next to impossible to make a proper AI line.

The basic theory is you must restrict the "valid track" to between the white lines. If anything outside of that is "valid" the AI will try to use it regardless if there is a wall there or not. This is not something you can do unless you know how to make or edit tracks.

There are many factors that come into play when recording an AI line. However the settings in that app do not apply to the recording process. They are for programing AI for a car.

The main factor for recording lines is how the surfaces are setup and what areas are "valid track". Likely the surfaces are all screwed up especially if it is your typical rushed conversion. Without fixing the surfaces it will be next to impossible to make a proper AI line.

The basic theory is you must restrict the "valid track" to between the white lines. If anything outside of that is "valid" the AI will try to use it regardless if there is a wall there or not. This is not something you can do unless you know how to make or edit tracks.
So the AI-racing line dev app that Glance5 mentions won't help? Is that what you mean?

It may on some tracks, it may not on others. As the Screaming Chicken said, it depends on how the modder created the surfaces.
I have the software to open all the track files but no idea which file contains the info I need to alter.
As I say, It's only really at the start that this problem exists.
I don't suppose you know of a tutorial dedicated to altering the driveable width of the track do you?

AC uses object names to decide what's valid race surface and not, you need to rename any object which is not valid (eg. from 1Asphalt_T1_runoff to 1InvalidPaving_T1_runoff)
Just keep in mind it uses pattern matches so the names can't overlap (eg. 'Asphalt' + 'InvalidAsphalt' is a problem cause they both contain Asphalt)

I have the software to open all the track files but no idea which file contains the info I need to alter.
As I say, It's only really at the start that this problem exists.
I don't suppose you know of a tutorial dedicated to altering the driveable width of the track do you?

I do not, I've run into the problem but never attempted fixing it. I'm pretty sure the skills require are above my pay grade.

I'll try to explain this visually.

In this shot what I have selected is the road, wall, and pits. In this example all of these surfaces are set to IS_VALID_TRACK=1 in the suraces.ini. When you record an AI line in this situation AI will think it can use all of this area regardless of that wall between the road and pits.
upload_2016-4-14_12-51-11.png

What needs to be done is the pits, and any other offshoots in the surfaces.ini should be set to IS_VALID_TRACK=0. This is only done while recording. Once recorded you can set the pits back to valid track and the AI will follow the rules that were set during the recording process.

This is what you want to AI to see.
upload_2016-4-14_12-45-47.png

The issue with most converted tracks are a situation like this

upload_2016-4-14_12-56-3.png

There is a separation between the pits and road surface but the pesky wall is not at the edge of the road. It is slightly inside so no matter what you do in the surfaces.ini the AI will always think it can get to the edge of the track even though the wall is there.

I hope that makes some sense.

Old thread but very helpful. I can verify that setting pit is_valid_track=0 for recording helped me fix start of race on snetterton 300. Cars were trying to veer into pit wall previously. I now have a super challenging ai now for BTCC.

Any chance you could share your Snetterton AI fast line file? Any improvements to AI files are always very welcome. Cheers :)

Old thread but very helpful. I can verify that setting pit is_valid_track=0 for recording helped me fix start of race on snetterton 300. Cars were trying to veer into pit wall previously. I now have a super challenging ai now for BTCC.

Can I also request for your AI fix for Snetterton 300, been trying to make a line but this problem i can't overcome

EDIT: I tought it was a new thread, anyway i'll let it here just in case someone needs it.

I have much experience correcting AI lines.

Those are the steps.

Define track limits.(red lines) (obviously)
To load the new side lines to the track, hold "shift" when the track is loading.
You will need to load the new side lines AFTER creating the new racing line.

To define the racing line (purple line), when you press "start recording" and cross the finish line, at that moment all previous lines should disappear in the recording process. Sometimes i have to complete a whole lap before to start the reccording process in order to make those lines disappear as expected, and sometimes i just go in reverse until 100mts before the finish line to start the recording process and it works, depends on the circuit (Why 100mts? Because when you go in reverse the app "stops working", and you need to go forward for a while to reactive the app before to press the "start recording" button). Remember to connect the lines passing trough the exactly same way you started the lap at the end of the lap. In circuits like monaco, if the AI is crashing into the inside wall of the corner, make the inside track limit line in such a way to force the AI to open more before the corner entry, and if necessary reduce their speed in that sector with the AI_HINTS.

That's it, i have many extra circuits working perfectly including Monaco which is one of the hardest circuits to setup the AI. (many tricky corners).

Last edited:
I have a big problem. I am converting some circuits to assetto. I already made several. However, in some, the cars barely start, go against the pit wall and stay against it. Despite doing the correct procedure of doing the ai first, then using the ai helper, shifting those limits and performing the ai again.
Regarding the definition of materials, everything is fine (boxes is 1pit_; asphalt is 1road_; the walls are defined as 1wall_)
Can anybody help me?
Cheers

Just to add to the conversation. There is a a little app called "AI Hepler" which is used to create new Left and Right side lines on the tracks. I use it allot to make the AI cars stay on the Valid track surfaces by creating new side boundries. Sometimes on tracks the side lines tend to go off track in several locations, walls, etc. There is a you tube video on how to do AI lines and side lines. And explains you need to be in developer mode. LiLSKi has some great track tutorials also.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%