Help With How To Do Transparency !

Hey, Been looking around and i cant find a guide on doing transparencey in textures, would someone please point me in the right direction been looking for a while now !. Many thanks

It depends on what graphics program you're using. In Gimp it's very easy*: use the eraser on the lowest layer to create transparent areas. Save as dds, setting compression to DXT5. Gimp require a dds plugin, which you can find on google.

*Making it look good is the hard part

U've to create an alpha channel in the canals option, which white color means what you see and black what u don't see.
Create it in the canals of the file, creating a new layer, it will name "alpha" for default, create ur color zones and then, save it as dx5 .dds.

Then u can use it importing on BTB or 3dsimed.... any u're using.

Malla1..jpgMalla1t..jpgMalla1t_alpha..jpg
Difuse map Alpha map Alpha channel

Hope to help!

There's a nice tutorial on using alpha channels in Gimp on YouTube. I got used too much to Photoshop, then Gimp seemed to me little strange ;)
Unfortunately my PS doesn't see dds plugin, but I use DDS Converter 2, which reads psd files with transparency. Strange, but when I add alpha channel to psd file, that Converter doesn't work to cooperate. I found a way for half-transparent images then - save them as .tga with alpha and DDS Converter is happy :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%