Help wanted with altering Mods

Jimi Hughes

RDMCC S6 Champion
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you very intelligent Modders out there could help me out. My situation is when i'm at university I cannot connect to the internet, and therefore have to spend my time racing against the A.I in custom championships (which, with the amount of Mods for tracks and cars available is no problem at all!!!).
However, I am having some issues with the A.I on certain tracks, mainly in the add on tracks.

What I want to know is can I change any settings or anything to change the A.I, speeding them up in places etc.. And more importently, around the Oulton Park circuit most of the A.I drivers roll onto their roofs over the inside curb of the final corner (Lodge corner i believe). Can I change anything to prevent this from happening, or can anyone alter the file for me?

Any basic Modding advice would be much appriciated if anyone knows how I can get around this issue and change it so the trackis raceable in offline mode. Or any general modding advice so i know how to alter files for future reference would me much appriciated.

Cheers guys,

Jimi

'Modding' Mods Question... :facepalm:

A post listing some of the things affecting AI ability in response to a similar question from me:

Günthar Rowe said:
That could be the AI talent files, it could be the tyre physics, it could be the chassis physics, a little hard to know exactly. I personally only look at AI driving skills at the very end of mod building and ... still don't stress it so much. I do know that the default steering lock of a car always needs to be set low, 12-15 degrees for a stable type of race car, and maybe lower on a twitchy/super fast car, as the AI can't handle large degrees of steer lock. To test this, backup first and then edit the setting in the .hdc (SimBin) or .hdv (rF/rF2).

Source

I haven't tried any of that myself though, because I have no clue what I'm doing.

So do I take this as I shouldn't do it, bearing in mind I have zero modding experiance. Do I need any additional software to open the AIW file to make changes?
With concern to the Oulton Park rolling issue I mentioned I have tryed it with a few different cars and the result is the same every time. Really frustrating as this is one of my favorate UK tracks.

So do I take this as I shouldn't do it, bearing in mind I have zero modding experiance. Do I need any additional software to open the AIW file to make changes?
With concern to the Oulton Park rolling issue I mentioned I have tryed it with a few different cars and the result is the same every time. Really frustrating as this is one of my favorate UK tracks.

Nope mate, just notepad. Make sure if you want to use this track you make a new copy of the track as it will cause mismatches. The Oulton Park conversion (I take it it's the same as mine) is very poor and will roll no matter what, hopefully a better conversion is made of it.

ok, well ill probably have a tinker with it when i find the time, as at least by doing so i will learn more about modding even if I do not manage to solve the issue. I see what you mean when you say it is a poor conversion, there are alot of silly bumps and jumps around the track, tho on the island layout it would just about be raceable if the problem at lodge was solved. Strangely it seems to be an issue with the AI, as i have never rolled at lodge even when following the AI into the corner at the same speed on the same line. Tho on the full circuit there are other areas (the first chicane for example) where my car will roll.

Thanks for your help guys, I dont know where i'd be sometimes without the RD forums!!

Jimi

I had a look but I couldn't find the .tyr file anywhere. I had a look in the AIW file but didn't really know where to start! I had a play with a couple of AI settings but still no luck.
They dont all do it, but most laps someone will roll, and on the first lap a good 10 cars all roll. It seems to be when they are on a certain part of the track, not nessersarily hitting the curb and rolling.

thanks again Gunthar, I appear to have improved it for now. Reducing the AI grip helped (strange because i thought you would need to increase it). They are now slightly slower over the lap which makes sense as there is less grip for them. I will have a further play to find a better balance.

But while i've got your attention, and as you clearly know what your doing where I dont, i was wondering if there is any way of improving the AI speed through specific parts of the track, i.e taking one corner of the track quicker without increasing their speed everywhere. And also, is there any other way to make them go fast over a whole lap other than adjusting the AI grip in the GDB file. My reason for asking this is if I keep the AI gri to where it is now to stop them rolling are there any more inputs I can adjust to increase there speed over a lap/during a race?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, it's just that once I've finished improving the AI for this circuit i may try to tackle others (such as Knockhill) where there AI are hopelessly slow

Thanks,

Jimi

Without the tools, it's a little hard...

Take some screen shots of the corner where they roll just as one of the AI roll and I'll make a new AIW file to get them to take a slightly better (less aggressive) line and with a little less speed maybe. Then, you can keep the original gdb AI grip at ~ the right overall lap pace - rolling issue... I need to know the speed the AI drive that corner and roll too please.

Repeat the above for any other problem corners...

It's a time consuming task to edit, but in the end the result is usually worth it, so I'll give it a go....

Ok mate, thanks alot for offering to do that. Im busy with work for a couple of days so I wont get the chance to do it yet, but ill take the screen shots when i get the chance and send them over to you hopefully a bit later on this week.

Many thanks

Right, I set all the settings back to origional, and set out to get some screenshot. For some reason they arn't rolling on lodge corner, so somehow this issue seems to be gone. There are a couple of corners on the track where they are taking poor lines and coming off the corner slowly, If i screenshot some of this will you be able to alter them at all to improve their performace?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 372 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%