Help Setup Porsche GT3 Cup '17

Hey guys,

A little introduction first: i have started with AC about 2 months ago. First we had PC2 for a few weeks but it only got "serious" in AC. Platform was PC at first, but it was needed elswere, so for the moment it's PS4. Wheel: Thrustmaster T500R, T3PA pedals. ABS/Stabilitycontrol etc. settings: all factory

Laptime with standard setup is 1:31.06. I am not super consistent, +/- 0.5s is the range, as i sometimes make errors

Question: Quick drivers are 6-7s faster, which is a huge difference on a short track. Of course: i need more practice...
(This video one is just for reference. Apparently done with mouse and keyboard)

GT3 Cup Brands Hatch GP 1:26
He takes corners at huge speeds and brakes way later. For examle the long left at 0:29s.
If i brake that late i have two outcomes: my rear gets upfront because i havent eased up on the brakes enough. If i lift off the brake earlier, i don't make it around the corner due to understeer.

Usually i brake shortly before the last marker, go in to 3rd with low throttle, when the corner closes up i have to coast a little to prevent understeer and then back on the throttle again.
On vallelunga quick drivers take the first 3 corners at full throttle. On the second corner (long right hand with slight banking) i have to ease up a bit and coast before the apex or i end up understeering into the gravel. I don't see what i could be doing wrong on that corner. It's full throttle and not much input necessary.

So i thought my setup sucks. again back to videos which include setups. I see big setup differences but there are not enough setups to see a correlation.

For brands hatch, I reduced the height in the front. Felt a tiny bit better, but bumpy. As a test, i went back up, but this time even higher front and rear. No difference in the bumpy parts. I increased camber, because tire-inside are hotter than outside. Maybe a tiny difference, but i expected more.

I just want to make sure i am not missing something, like "...standard setup in AC is really bad starting point..."
Is there a good setup suggestion Brands Hatch GP? Or am i simply not good enough?

I'll be blunt with the game physic & the maneuver to perform...

Well I will stop using the term bomb dive with the brake. In a nutshell trail braking is arcade. To simulate trail braking, you have to turn the steering before releasing the brake pressure to make the car rotate. So in some corner you may have the brake completely floored mid way during the entry phase. Even when braking mid corner you have to overlap the steering input(basically you press the brake & squeeze the steering instead of unease it).

no sim will be 100% as per reality. There are time, if you don't steer in, it will oversteer.

It's easy to tell, because there no steering play. I simply see that the steering is simply cranked in a fixed direction & it shouldn't happen.

Driving smoothly only lead to understeer & it basically keep the balance so neutral that the car become a brick that refuse to rotate. That understeer cause the car to get a slower entry speed, understeer at the apex & the nose is not pointed for exit, thus result slower exit speed due to poor overall available traction. Obviously it result a joke time, but yeah that's how it is.

The fundamental of clearing a corner fast is about right, the maneuver to do it is not so realistic, especially in how you use the brake.

You have to find the point when braking hard make the car unstable & you should get a bit of steering play during the entry phase. You also have to make sure to press the accelerator a bit after the apex to find the sweep spot. Again you should get some steering play for the exit phase while accelerating.

I will watch my own replays mote often, it is very good to spot errors. I always thought i use more of the track.
on PS4, the wheel calibrates itself, there is no rotation adjustment. pedals there is no setting at all. I really have to go back to pc...

Thanks a lot guys. I‘ll get to it. I bet you have other things to do

edit: just found this: Wheel rotation setup
Sounds like a pain, i have to set it on every game start... anyway, what rotation would you recommend? 900, or 1080?
Yep replays are great :).
AFAIK it should not matter if it's 900 or 1080, i think AC will adjust itself to do 1:1 steering (900 is native thou). I was wondering since some wheels only do like 180 which is a yikes in a porsche. But it seems like you are just lively behind the wheel... that should calm down itself as you gain confidence in the car. :)
Also you got Deap in the thread, expect it to get derailed lol.

How do i prevent exessive oversteer without coasting too much/too early.
The more throttle you give the less oversteer you'll have (from 3rd gear upward). That's basics ... but i guess the real hard part is get a feeling for steering - when the car needs that 90° and when it will be fine pointing straight while tightly cornering. If you unwind the steering early enough before real oversteer occurs it will be much easier to control. But for that you need experience, so maybe try what real drivers do when unsure of the grip: seesaw the steering as you corner, and note the small changes in car turn speed. If there are none you can safely unwind, and when that happens do note in what state the car is, so the next time you enter such state you already know what to do without seesawing.

edit: and as a idea to practice - no matter how well you did in a corner, try to end it with the car at the very edge of the track (on exit kerbs). You will need to unwind the steering earlier. If you focus on getting a feel for the delay between you straightening the steering and the car actually going straight it should improve your control over oversteers.

Last edited:
I try my best to balance steering angle and brake pressure, lot of brake not much if any steering input.

As I start to turn I am coming of the brake relative to how much steering I am applying, sometimes I am completely off the brakes, sometimes well before the acceleration point, sometimes I am still on a percentage of brake very deep into the bend, mainly to try and stop a loss of front grip, keeping a good balance in the car ready for acceleration, every corner and car creates different a circumstance, weather and grip too.

Although I think this is very productive, I also think for many of us it is very very difficult to get it right.
Mainly due to losing to much speed in the cornering process, some people have either learnt to or been properly shown how to do it or are just gifted for these particular activities.

Personally I find the real world and simulations to be uncannily very similar, the big big advantage with a sim is the ability not to financially break the bank or more importantly not to kill or maim yourself or others, that allows you to search the edge of the envelope for free.:thumbsup:

As you say, I like to have a bit of steering available in the acceleration phase, not always do-able.

Also you got Deap in the thread, expect it to get derailed lol.
Don't worry, I have proof to backup my point. Although it is ACC being used as example, it is the same for AC.

If you input the brake like real life & use common sense related to the steering input... You only get understeer & no trail braking simulation value. No wonder why pro driver try AC & came up 8+sec slower on Nurburgring GP...

I’m at the moment convinced all the performance in AC, that’s all I know, exists at the far edge of grip, if everything else is correct. The driver pushes the envelope to a max, smooth is okay but the fastest constantly touching that edge, constantly and skilfully controlling without loosing speed, in an unstable situation.

The more throttle you give the less oversteer you'll have (from 3rd gear upward). That's basics ... but i guess the real hard part is get a feeling for steering

sorry, my bad. on the last page i meant understeer. I fight with a lot of understeer. I only get oversteer when i turn in sharp and brake too much, but i can't really catch that unless i stay on throttle and brake at the same time. not exactly quick.

sorry, my bad. on the last page i meant understeer. I fight with a lot of understeer. I only get oversteer when i turn in sharp and brake too much, but i can't really catch that unless i stay on throttle and brake at the same time. not exactly quick.
Ah that's curious, looking at your 1:30 laps posted earlier, you take T1 and T2 on the very edge of grip, no understeer there at all. T4 you have typical overspeed understeer, really nothing to do with car handling. And in general for the rest of the lap there is no real "understeer". Maybe that's just a very good lap for you. It could be that the understeer is just going too fast (or turning too late) due to lack of consistency. In which case following an idealized line closely without trying to push the car could help.

Definitely agree with Pawel, looked a very competent lap.
It also helps to develop consistently, not worrying about a fast lap, but string together a lot of smooth time wise, consistent laps.
That gives you a good foundation to build your speed on, other wise it ends up with dozens of shabby laps inter dispersed with 1 good lap you struggle to repeat.

Ah that's curious, looking at your 1:30 laps posted earlier, you take T1 and T2 on the very edge of grip, no understeer there at all. T4 you have typical overspeed understeer, really nothing to do with car handling.

that's what i'm struggling with. i brake a lot earlier than others on T4 and am barely manage to get around inside the track limits because of overspeed understeer. yet i see this guy for example:
braking one car lenght later (hard to tell exactly, different view angle), even shifting into 5th and still get around. maybe i don't brake correctly and don't loose enough speed.
he even accelerates in the apex and the rear moves outside which helps him turn. if i get on the throttle, my front lifts and i don't get around. but maybe it's fear, so i dont hit the throttle enough to get the rear moving.

i get the feeling it's not of much use comparing these details on other onbards. might look much more different than it really is due to viewangle and whatnot.

That gives you a good foundation to build your speed on, other wise it ends up with dozens of shabby laps inter dispersed with 1 good lap you struggle to repeat.

that makes a lot of sense!

Last edited:
Assuming you mean Hawthorns from your description, when you turn there, I turn using the brakes, difficult in a 911, too much can make the nose dive in too much causing oversteer, then I wait for the car to stabilise, just before that I change into 4th helping to keep the back in check then accelerate just before the apex trying to turn the car under acceleration, again difficult in a 911 because it really wants to push the front, but because my angle before the apex is in my favour this will only become a problem if I have made a misjudgement.
If that happens I give a quick dab on the brakes to pull the nose back again, make sure you have some acceleration going on to stop it oversteering too much.

like to see what Pawel has to say, hope to learn something. :)

Last edited:
that's what i'm struggling with. i brake a lot earlier than others on T4 and am barely manage to get around inside the track limits because of overspeed understeer. yet i see this guy for example:

braking one car lenght later (hard to tell exactly, different view angle), even shifting into 5th and still get around. maybe i don't brake correctly and don't loose enough speed.
he even accelerates in the apex and the rear moves outside which helps him turn. if i get on the throttle, my front lifts and i don't get around. but maybe it's fear, so i dont hit the throttle enough to get the rear moving.
Ah crap, i messed up turn numbers and names in previous posts. T2 is druids and what i considered T4 is T3 (Grahams), sry. So i really meant that real understeer only happened in T3 grahams.

Anyways regarding T4 (6:37) in that video, it's not the fastest way around the corner but it works since he gets the best performance out of the car with that lunge on entry (dodging some of the bumps), then a bit of oversteer at minimum speed (turning the car really quickly) and have pretty straight exit (so that bumps don't would not matter anymore).

TBH that corner is all about bumps management. Literally a couple of centimeters left or right from imagined line and you have to compensate to not get under/oversteer there. Also if at any point you under or over drive drive the car same thing happens as you will have different load distribution and therefore car will take bumps differently.

Putting it differently, if you apply throttle before one of the exit bumps you get really bad understeer, if you apply it at or right after the bump you'll get bad oversteer. So you gotta be conscious of track surface and find a line that works for you. This is one of those corners where copying people of different skill level won't work.

edit: sry @Kek700 he probs meant previous turn, but your assessment is good :). The only tip i'd have for that corner is that it's a high downforce one, making ideal line more circular. So you want to dab the brake in a straight line (really late too) and send it hard with minimal trailbraking toward apex.

Last edited:
That explains why when I decide to stick with 5th gear and drive it slightly differently, I find I do not usually sacrifice any time, that has always confused me.
It just seems so much more purposeful driving hard in 4th so I usually stick with that. 5th is more sweeping ( best word I could find ) 4th is a more aggressive late apex.
Appreciate your comments Pawel. Hope I understand correctly.:)

that's what i'm struggling with. i brake a lot earlier than others on T4 and am barely manage to get around inside the track limits because of overspeed understeer.
So you claim to overspeed understeer although on the random youtube video he brake much later according to your claim.

Is that a troll account?

Last edited:
@Pawel Ziolkowski sorry, i should have used the names from the start...

Druids is actually the corner where i don't feel understeer. I usually notice i don't use all the grip and could tighten the radius. That's probably why i am able to accelerate early in my video.

surtees is one of the corners which gives me a hard time. the bumps would explain a lot, because it's something i didn't take into account that much.

Is that a troll account?

it was planned as a troll account, but the prospect of talking to people who don't care what i say held me off.

You're actually using all the grip available based on the overall load.

You know, understeer happen when the rear traction is inferior to the front traction. You can either... increase the front downforce, if you have wing setting or add more load by using the brake while the thing is moving.

When I play AC I image myself driving a ricer Prius with rear fat tire. When I do that I can get close to WR time.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing