Help please on 3 monitor set up is this the best thing?

I know theirs probably allot on this site about three monitor set ups for running race sims but i want to ask a few questions to help me in my decision on which way to go , so if any one can help with some really useful advice i would really appreciate it. I Don’t like the fact that in many racing sims cockpit view you cant see the mirrors well in some cars unless you pull the seat position back which spoils it for me , i have seen on you tube many people using three monitors and it does look that it give you a better feeling of racing, and you can see the side of the car and mirrors much better, however to run this set up it looks to me as though you need a fairly tasty graffic card to run three monitors, i have a powerful pc but with a gtx 970 card and feel i would need to go to a 1080 card for this to work well? also you need to buy a monitor stand to hold all three. The other suggestion is wide screen monitors (curved) they look like they give you more side view to the car but the racing feeling isnt as good as three monitors! also i think i would still need to get a better graffic card to run this monitor at its full potential. I really wont to make the right decision here and would appreciate people advice who have tried and is still using some of these set ups. Also one other thing i have heard that on some games the wide screen can give black bars down the side of the game not using the full screen!

1)Wide screen or three monitors?
2) If I went for 3 monitors I would be looking at a monitor with small bezels probably a 27 inch? What would you recommend please? Also what stand would you recommend?
3) Wide screen ultra monitor what would you recommend?

Thanks for your Time

Last edited:
Instead of starting my own thread I figured I might as well post my own triple screen questions here... I'm in the middle of setting up 3 screens for video editing and want to take advantage for a little racing now and then. Biggest issue that I face is that the 3 screens aren't 100% identical in size/resolution. Centre and left screen are 27" 2560x1440 IPS panels, and the right screen is a 24" 1080p OLED display.

Obviously this is not ideal for sim racing but is necessary for the editing set up which is the primary focus. The size difference isn't the total end of the world to me as it is mostly just filling my peripheral vision. My biggest question is regarding the resolution difference... can I render the centre and left images at 2560x1440 and the right at 1080p, or do I have to use the lowest common denominator and render all three screens at 1080p?
As far I know, 3 screens will have to run under the same resolution in triples mode, you will have to run 1080x5760, as determined by the 24" monitor.
Cheers

Upvote 0
Great thread, lots of info. I am also looking at triples. I am looking at AOC G2460PF 24-Inch Free Sync Gaming LED Monitor, Full HD (1920 x 1080), 144hz, 1ms for $209 on Amazon, but they are backordered 1-2 months! I guess my questions are for sim racing is the 60hz vs 144hz really noticeable? I've seen/heard many say you can't notice during normal game play unless you are really looking for it. Also, is the "Free Sync" or "G Sync" really that important? I have an AMD video card. I currently use a single 31" LED TV and it works great.

Upvote 0
@GlennP - Mate of mine runs triple 60hz screens but when compared to to my triple Acer Predator 27" 144hz Gsync it really does make a difference, everything is just that more fluid - even on race sims where it may not be as important with everything flying past but glad I went for this. I also tested on my 4k LED TV and still prefer my monitors. I think you will enjoy you rAOC Triples, bit better immersion I reckon. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I agree the difference between 60 and 144Mhz is very noticable. Set your monitor to 30 Mhz then try racing, swap back to 60mhz. See the difference? Of course not a perfect comparison but it does give an impression what half the refresh rate looks like.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years