Help please on 3 monitor set up is this the best thing?

I know theirs probably allot on this site about three monitor set ups for running race sims but i want to ask a few questions to help me in my decision on which way to go , so if any one can help with some really useful advice i would really appreciate it. I Don’t like the fact that in many racing sims cockpit view you cant see the mirrors well in some cars unless you pull the seat position back which spoils it for me , i have seen on you tube many people using three monitors and it does look that it give you a better feeling of racing, and you can see the side of the car and mirrors much better, however to run this set up it looks to me as though you need a fairly tasty graffic card to run three monitors, i have a powerful pc but with a gtx 970 card and feel i would need to go to a 1080 card for this to work well? also you need to buy a monitor stand to hold all three. The other suggestion is wide screen monitors (curved) they look like they give you more side view to the car but the racing feeling isnt as good as three monitors! also i think i would still need to get a better graffic card to run this monitor at its full potential. I really wont to make the right decision here and would appreciate people advice who have tried and is still using some of these set ups. Also one other thing i have heard that on some games the wide screen can give black bars down the side of the game not using the full screen!

1)Wide screen or three monitors?
2) If I went for 3 monitors I would be looking at a monitor with small bezels probably a 27 inch? What would you recommend please? Also what stand would you recommend?
3) Wide screen ultra monitor what would you recommend?

Thanks for your Time

Last edited:
I have triples and i love them (27inches)
you don't notice it are three separate screens so a widescreen is, for me, a no-go
but do you only play racing games?
if so, I would definitely consider buying an oculus rift cv1

I've had the pleasure to test it out and was surprised bout how good it worked

I think that's the question you should ask yourself: triples or vr

goodluck!

Upvote 0
I went for the ultra wide and really enjoy it. I don't have nor the space or budget for a proper triple setup, but this is the next best thing, and with much lower resource needs.

LG just came out with some 34" 2560*1080 144Hz curved IPS monitors with low input lag, at around 400-500 USD, you might want to check those out.

Upvote 0
970 with triples is borderline, definitely not going to use 90 Hz or 120 Hz refresh. I had a 970 with triple 27" and bought a 1080 this summer. With the 970, my compromise was to turn down antialiasing.

The widescreen monitors are nothing more than an extra-wide 27" monitor. Depending on the car and your FOV, the car's mirrors (not virtual mirrors) may be visible on a single widescreen. Some large cars, like a stockcar will likely have interior mirrors that are above the screen. The usual problem with a 27" monitor (and the extra-wide 34" monitors) is that you can't get them close enough to increase the FOV because they run into the base of your steering wheel.

If you're going single screen, then seriously consider a 40"-60" TV. See YouTube videos by 6e66o (1080p 40") and Mr. Pix (4k really big 60"? 65"?). These large screens can sit comfortably behind your steering wheel. Downside is that the big screens are only 60 Hz refresh (even if they say 120 Hz, it is fudged and not true 120 Hz like a monitor).

Downside with single monitor is you don't have the multiview, can't look out the windows, unless you're adept at using the "glance" function. Triple monitors really help there!

Upvote 0
ok thanks good info ,

Are you saying 24 inch monitors if your making a 3 monitor system or 27 inch? thanks

i was running triples with a 960 on 5760x1080 60mhz with no probs,got a 1060 now so bit more ummmphh.
970 with triples is borderline, definitely not going to use 90 Hz or 120 Hz refresh. I had a 970 with triple 27" and bought a 1080 this summer. With the 970, my compromise was to turn down antialiasing.

The widescreen monitors are nothing more than an extra-wide 27" monitor. Depending on the car and your FOV, the car's mirrors (not virtual mirrors) may be visible on a single widescreen. Some large cars, like a stockcar will likely have interior mirrors that are above the screen. The usual problem with a 27" monitor (and the extra-wide 34" monitors) is that you can't get them close enough to increase the FOV because they run into the base of your steering wheel.

If you're going single screen, then seriously consider a 40"-60" TV. See YouTube videos by 6e66o (1080p 40") and Mr. Pix (4k really big 60"? 65"?). These large screens can sit comfortably behind your steering wheel. Downside is that the big screens are only 60 Hz refresh (even if they say 120 Hz, it is fudged and not true 120 Hz like a monitor).

Downside with single monitor is you don't have the multiview, can't look out the windows, unless you're adept at using the "glance" function. Triple monitors really help there!

Have you a recommended monitor with good performance? and small bezels thanks

Upvote 0
I have 27" IPS panels by AOC. Bezel is paper-thin, but the darn image doesn't go out to the bezel, so there is still a 3/8" black stripe at edge of each monitor.

Bigger screen is always better for FOV unless the picture is too pixelated or you want a high refresh rate. A 40" 1080p picture will appear less pixelated than the VR goggles currently available, but it would not do for normal work, where you'd want a 4K picture.

Upvote 0
I ran triples quite happily with a 770 so I suspect you should be fine. rF2 needed lower settings but everything else was pretty high. Upgraded to a 980ti and that runs most sims on pretty much full settings easy.

Upvote 0
I have triple 27' benq thin bezel monitors. For anyone who is interested in racing nowadays VR is the way to go IMO. Most people are blown away by the immersion factor and consider the quality of the image not to be as important when you are that deeply immersed. My next move is the VR.

Upvote 0
I went for these, Acer Predator XB270HA 27" G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - mate of mine has VIVE but not for me just yet, too lo-res too clunky too heavy - couple of years maybe - If you want hi-res 3D at 120hz then grab yourself a pair of 3D Vision V2 Glasses

Upvote 0
You will probably regret going down the 3 screen route, but your choice. VR will soon be a given. Until then, a nice 21;9 ultra will do. I just don't do Race sims, so a single monitor was best for me.........until Occulus Rift versions 5.0 settles things.;):thumbsup:

Upvote 0
You will probably regret going down the 3 screen route, but your choice. VR will soon be a given. Until then, a nice 21;9 ultra will do. I just don't do Race sims, so a single monitor was best for me.........until Occulus Rift versions 5.0 settles things.;):thumbsup:

Cant say ive ever met anyone coming from a Single screen that went Triples and "regretted" it. the overall immersion is 10fold better in every way.

Upvote 0
@Andy Jackson - Naaah Andy no regrets there - went from 1screen 2.5K to x3 144hz 27" Predators about 2+ years ago, the immersion is awesome - no VR lump attached to your head - mate runs it and well not for me - Until it squeezes its way down to my Nvidea Vision 2 Glasses count me in, try this with your 3 screens running Track iR and you are racing ;-)

Right now for me VR is a lump of lo-res that will cost you £700 in the sale :confused:

Upvote 0
@Andy Jackson - Naaah Andy no regrets there - went from 1screen 2.5K to x3 144hz 27" Predators about 2+ years ago, the immersion is awesome - no VR lump attached to your head - mate runs it and well not for me - Until it squeezes its way down to my Nvidea Vision 2 Glasses count me in, try this with your 3 screens running Track iR and you are racing ;-)

Right now for me VR is a lump of lo-res that will cost you £700 in the sale :confused:

I agree about current VR.
Good for you. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.:rolleyes: I use my PC for more than race simming, so I now prefer a single screen Ultrawide 21:9 and Track IR. 3 screens are nice for racing but that's about it. They are even crap for flight sims too. Each to their own I say. Another couple of years though and our screens will be defunct. Have a nice day.;)

Upvote 0
I run triple Philips 31.5in monitors, use to run 3x32in tv's but one died and couldn't get a replacement. I also play non race games, and have no issues going from triples to single screen and back, if set up correctly you don't need to turn triples off to play a single screen game.

The model of my screens, Philips BDM3201FD 31.5 inch LCD Monitors, cost was $270Aud each, colors are nice the image is sharp and they have a small bezel which is always a consideration for triples, not that you notice the bezel when your concentrating on racing, or focused on the screen action during a fire fight.

If you have the money to spend go for the 144hz monitors, but their higher price may restrict the screen size you settle for.
Ive run 3x24" monitors but found the bigger the monitors the better the immersion, personally I prefer 32" monitors, their the perfect size in that they don't take up a stack of space, their big enough to provide a decent sized image, which helps with immersion because objects/enemies/cockpits seem more realistic size wise. I would also look at going for standard Hz 32inch monitors, over 144hz 27inch, as it will be cheaper in the long run, and bigger is definitely better, plus you wont notice any real difference.

I'll go VR when it's medically proven that it doesn't mess with your vision over long term use, especially as I can spend up to 4hrs in my rig in one session, it's already a medical fact that prolonged viewing of PC screens is detrimental. Having a VR screen 2 inches from my eyes is just tooooo much.

Good luck shopping :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Instead of starting my own thread I figured I might as well post my own triple screen questions here... I'm in the middle of setting up 3 screens for video editing and want to take advantage for a little racing now and then. Biggest issue that I face is that the 3 screens aren't 100% identical in size/resolution. Centre and left screen are 27" 2560x1440 IPS panels, and the right screen is a 24" 1080p OLED display.

Obviously this is not ideal for sim racing but is necessary for the editing set up which is the primary focus. The size difference isn't the total end of the world to me as it is mostly just filling my peripheral vision. My biggest question is regarding the resolution difference... can I render the centre and left images at 2560x1440 and the right at 1080p, or do I have to use the lowest common denominator and render all three screens at 1080p?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years