Help Needed With Car Skin

I finally worked out how to convert a car from rFactor to GTR 2, no easy task for a noob, I have the car in the game and working fine, although I still have to figure out how to get the gauges to work but that's on the back burner at the moment.

But what I really need to work out how to put the skin on the car, there isn't one at the moment. All the tutorials I have read only show how to change a skin on a car that already has one, I need to know how to put one on in the first place.

I have these rFactor files in the team directory.

69042_HTGTS.CAR < I created this from files in the rFactor and one from GTR2
69042_HTGTS.txt < Renamed from fFactor file
69042_HTGTS.dds < Renamed from fFactor file
69042_HTGTS.veh < Renamed from fFactor file

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have figured out a makeshift solution, the same skin I can put on any other car, so it must be the way I converted things or the way it was made for fFactor. So I changed the HTBody.dds file in the HTGTS_Tex.gtr file and put it in the team directory and it works. But it won't work if I put the same file as 69042_HTGTS.dds, even though 69042 is the car number in the .car file.

And if I schedule a race then all the cars have the same skin as the one I drive, even though they have the correct drivers names attached. I think there must be something different with the files in rFactor, as there is no spec map for the body.gmt files.

Last edited:
Okay I finally fixed it, rFactor has a different materials naming format than GTR2, so instead of having WC_TEAM_BODY1_PA for the body textures it just has WCCARBODY. I found an old tutorial for converting cars from GTR2 to rFactor so I just did it backwards, and found out the WC stands for Wild Cards.

So in 3DSimEd I just changed the names in the body .gmt files and viola it works fine now, every car has a different skin in the race, yeah.

I now have a canary yellow HT Monaro GTS 350 that looks very similar to this one Norm Beechey drove all those years ago except for the mag wheels, which I am going to do.:

Bowdens%20Web%20Images-6395.jpg

Now to get the instruments and brake lights working, its a pretty steep learning curve as I only started converting these two weeks ago.

Update:
I got the brake lights working it was the same as the skins, I had to change the materials names, I also put mag wheels on it from a Dodge Challenger, I would like them shinier but they look way better than the horrible stock wheels with hubcaps that the cars originally came with.

Last edited:
Nice work, here's hoping you might release these somewhere when finished :)

Will do.

I worked out how to get the speedo and tacho gauges working, they don't have working temp and fuel gauges from scratch, I didn't have the cockpit_nl.gmt file so I had to make my own using measurements in the cockpit.gmt file, there are a lot of parts to a car, I take my hat off to anyone who designs one from scratch.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back