[Help] Monitor suddenly goes blank for 3-4s

I've just built my first PC and although it's been amazing in nearly every aspect, the monitor will, on occasion, suddenly go blank (as if I've lost the signal, but without the usual "lost signal" message). The screen will return around 3s later as if nothing happened. My PC is high-end, with up-to-date drivers, and no other problems that I can recall. My monitor is a 1440p Monoprice IPS panel, but the same problem occurred with my original 1080p 27" 120Hz BenQ display. I'm pretty sure this happened while navigating the desktop and browsing the web, but it's obviously more problematic while racing. I'm pretty sure it has happened at least once during every "session" at my computer. While it often happens only once (usually early on), occasionally it has happened 2-3 times in a 90 minute session.

I've seen myriad threads bemoaning this, or something similar, on a number of PC gaming forums, but have yet to discover a clear cause, not to mention solution. Although it certainly appears to be GPU related, my GTX 780 is not even a month old, its drivers are up-to-date, I'm not overclocking it (apart from EVGAs default overclock) and I haven't noticed any other problems with it. For reference, with VSync disabled, I'm seeing 170+ FPS on F1 2012 maxed out at 1440p.

In any case, I'm hoping someone on RD has experienced this, identified a cause and subsequently solved it, but any insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance with this problem.

Henk

Hi Henk,

I have the same problem.
I think it's Nividea related: Had an 8800GTS that suffered from it, as well as my gtX650.
Luckily it hasn't occured to me during an online race... yet
But I'm afraid I don't have a solution either :-(

Upvote 0
@Peter Koch

I'm using a Corsair A860i PSU with a 6+2 pin w/ 6+2 pin pigtail PCI-E power cable power cable to GPU. GPU driver is 320.49.

I originally thought the problem stemmed from my Obutto R3volution jarring the monitor during e.g. a hairpin, but the HDMI is solidly connected, and it's now happened under conditions where the monitor is clearly stationary.

I'm surprised I don't get a lost signal message as I do upon rebooting my PC (prior to the drivers loading). If it's not a lost signal I have no idea what it could be.

While I'm now using flashbacks in F1 2012 as a kludge, they are only available in single player. As for other sims (e.g. iRacing, once I've read enough documentation to feel less intimidated lol), I have no idea what to do.

Anyway, I'll try the latest beta drivers. Although not optimistic, I hope for the best. Thanks for your insights.

Henk

Upvote 0
Nvidia user also and have had the same problem in the past:(
i cured mine by changing the physX settings to use the my graphics card and not use the auto setting.
this works for some but not all.:) hope it works for you

Upvote 0
Rupe-

Wow, thanks for an option I've not yet seen. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find, nor how to adjust, that particular setting. If you might point me in the right direction, I'll be very grateful.

Henk

BTW, I'm hoping to try out GTL soon, and I know you're very active on that forum, so perhaps I'll see you on the track sometime.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I'm already using HDMI, but thanks for the tip. I'd try DVI-D but the connector is both massive and difficult to properly insert, at least for me.

Anyway, it hasn't happened today, although I couldn't get F1 2012 to allow me to change the throttle default to my CSP V2 gas pedal until rebooting a few times, after which it wouldn't allow me to configure any buttons to my new DSD CSW Ultra panels.

And I'm still slow.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 363 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%