Help Me with dream rig build

How’s it going guys,

So please be kind as I am learning and doing research.... I had been on a Xbox with simple Logitech wheel and pedals for awhile now and finally have the chance and well money for that matter to build a rig I have always dreamed of. I have roughly a 9k budget set for everything. I could use some advice and input into getting the proper setup (especially the pc side ) I will list what my thoughts are and see what you guys think and any advice you can give ( preferably constructive hahahaha )

Cockpit: Rseat S1
Wheel base: Fanatec club sport 2.5
Wheel: open but will do gt racing
Pedals: club sport inverted v3
Shifter and hand brake: both Fanatec
Motion: not sure yet
Butt kicker at least one
VR: need advice
Monitor: open and not sure if I want to do trikes so I can have the option to do VR or triples
Computer: this is where I need a lot of advice easy to get carried away here

Divorce paper: probably in blue ink hahahahahahaha

I appreciate any help or advice as I will only have the opportunity to do this one time and want to make the right decision. Direct drive would be great but most are 8-10 weeks out

Wow thats a massive budget and should easily build a killer set up. I'm no expert but I'd certainly look at some other options.

Cockpit: Have you considered an 8020 style rig like those from Sim labs? Highly customisable, rigid and adaptable as your rig evolves as it will evolve :). Plus if you do go down the motion route its easier to implement.
Wheel base: Personally I'd go down the OSW route, makes everything else feel like a toy! Have you researched the reliability of the Fanatec stuff?
Pedals: Have you checked out the Heusinkveld sprint pedals? I wouldn't consider anything else
Motion: Have you seen the SFX100 DIY build thread, what a system for the money
Butt kicker at least one
VR: I have the Oculus rift and haven't tried any of the other offerings but for the money its absolutely amazing, no triple monitor setup could compete with the immersion, you're literally in the car!
Monitor: I'd go for something simple here to run the PC but VR for racing
Computer: Are you building or buying?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I owned a RS Formula V2 Cockpit from rSeat,
I must say 1st of all the build quality is just insane, these guys really do know how to make frames and brackets and stuff, very thick and sturdy equipment I got with my seat,
I bought the TV stand also was running tripple 32", to be honest was not that impressed with there TV stand, was tricky to get all 3 screens mm lined up and had to adjust them every other day was so annoying, but the seat was lovely like I say,

looking at everything I have seen recently I just bought a new playseat but no way near the budget you have currently but either way I am pleased with my new seat,
I was looking weeks, this what I saw on RD to me looks awesome,
the seat design is just stunning and the framework looks really nice quality,
if I had to choose over the Rseat or this simracingXtreme seat I would buy this Xtreme one all day long, looks perfect,
not sure what pedal flex youd get with it, maybe look some reviews online :)
cockpit-x-extreme-simracing-03-png.282006

Maybe buy the Fanatec direct drive wheel but its expensive around 1500 euros.

Upvote 0
If you plan to spend 9k I would aim for items which you would not have to upgrade and loose money in the process.

Because of that 80/20 cockpit which will be much better on so many levels then what is on the picture above, OSW (I would not bother waiting and beta testing for Fanatec DD) and some quality pedals.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Been looking at the pedal revie on the Fanatec items and they all seem to be petty high end ad well thought out products...

My big concern is the computer setup as I am not a big computer guru and seem to get lost in the sea of options

Upvote 0
Been looking at the pedal revie on the Fanatec items and they all seem to be petty high end ad well thought out products...

My big concern is the computer setup as I am not a big computer guru and seem to get lost in the sea of options

If you are in Europe and you could find HE Pro 2nd hand you would have probably done best deal there is to be done on the pedals :) (not easy feat tough)

In USA Promsimtech I think they are called? Which is more or less equivalent of HE in EU but in the past there were long waiting times involved, not sure if it is still the case.

Upvote 0
Wow thats a massive budget and should easily build a killer set up. I'm no expert but I'd certainly look at some other options.

Cockpit: Have you considered an 8020 style rig like those from Sim labs? Highly customisable, rigid and adaptable as your rig evolves as it will evolve :). Plus if you do go down the motion route its easier to implement.
Wheel base: Personally I'd go down the OSW route, makes everything else feel like a toy! Have you researched the reliability of the Fanatec stuff?
Pedals: Have you checked out the Heusinkveld sprint pedals? I wouldn't consider anything else
Motion: Have you seen the SFX100 DIY build thread, what a system for the money
Butt kicker at least one
VR: I have the Oculus rift and haven't tried any of the other offerings but for the money its absolutely amazing, no triple monitor setup could compete with the immersion, you're literally in the car!
Monitor: I'd go for something simple here to run the PC but VR for racing
Computer: Are you building or buying?

I will search those out,that’s why I am here to make sure that I buy and spend the money on the correct equipment. I will look up the OSW.

As for the computer I would prefer to just buy

Upvote 0
I will search those out,that’s why I am here to make sure that I buy and spend the money on the correct equipment. I will look up the OSW.

As for the computer I would prefer to just buy

The Simucube OSW has got to be the most widely used steering system used amongst us afflicted sim racers surely??? I guarantee you won't be disappointed, its bloomin marvellous and blows everything else I've tested out of the water. As for PC spec's well, that's a bit of a minefield really, I'm no expert so i'll share where my thought process was when I recently upgraded. At this point in time I'm not sure you get that much out of an RTX card Vs. GTX's, this choice will be the big cash consumer in your PC build so I'd focus your research around that choice and then piece your system around that, SSD is also a nice addition. Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
Fanatec is what I would call upper mid-tier sitting above Thrustmaster and Logitech which have the middle to low end. Brakes at the higher end would include the Heusinkveld which has two models of pedals, a hand brake and a sequential shifter. An H pattern is in the works.

To be fair Fanatec equipment is well known, simple to setup, well supported and everything can share a single USB cable to your computer. I've had exactly what you listed for about a year and it has worked well. But I'm looking to upgrade my pedals and hand brake to Heusinkveld. The Fantec hand brake feels flimsey when I pull it. The pedals work well but have VERY limited adjustability. I have the Fantec brake upgrade kit and I'm running a red and green cylinder. Fantec has two springs for the throttle and clutch. That's it. The Heusinkvelds allow travel adjustment on all three pedals and have a large continuous range of pressure available all the way up to what a real race car feels like if you get the Ultimates.

I also agree that an 8020 based chassis is MUCH MUCH MUCH more expandable in the future for whatever you dream up. I looked seriously at the RSeat S1, but got a Sim-Lab P1. I'm tickled I picked the P1 and have zero regrets. An S1 is a pretty solid chassis. A P1 is a ROCK.

I think asking for advice is a good thing. You will see a lot of opinions that you can filter through based on how much someone else's priorities match yours.

I went with an NLRv3 motion system, but one of my key criteria was that my system be mobile and it is. I have a patch panel for my 4 x transducers for quick connection and 4 retractable casters so I can wheel my rig into the storage room, or the corner of the room when I'm not using it.

I'm currently using the Oculus Rift. Personally I think it is the best bang for the buck, comfortable, lightweight HMD that gets good frame rates. I'm running a 1080Ti currently. Right now is not a very good time to build a gaming computer. Both NVidia and Intel have been stagnating lately. Both will have 7nm process working in 2020 and we should see pretty big jumps in performance next year. In addition we should see HMD's that are 2x - 4x higher resolution then and actually have hardware that can drive them properly. So I would bide my time with a Rift knowing you will probably replace it in a year.

As far as your wife goes. I live by the following: My wife gets whatever she wants first! Then she never complains about anything I get. Happy wife, happy life!

Upvote 0
Another serious issue is learning curves. It's really easy for people who have been at this for a while to spec out "their" dream system to you after they have climbed all the learning curves and know exactly how they would set it up.

I've been building my P1 rig for a week, but I was looking for that. I'm fabricating aluminum parts for my transducer mounts and I fabricated the mounts for my chair and to mount the NLRv3 into my P1 chassis. I fabricated a panel for an amp to plug into my transducers. I purchased off the shelf parts that were not designed for 8020 and drilled them so they work well with it. I love building things. Let me emphasize that this is part of the fun for me, but I know that isn't how everyone else feels.

An RSeat + Fanatec combo is a least resistance combination if you just don't want to deal with all the complexities. There are many resources and people who will help you if you want to take the plunge and go deep and I agree with the people who are saying there are better pieces of equipment than what you have listed. However I also don't know if you just want to bolt this together in an evening or two and start playing.

Can I ask what you have now and what you are comfortable with so far? For example do you already have a Thrustmaster system and are already playing car racing games and are familiar with things, or are you just jumping in with both feet?

Upvote 0
Another serious issue is learning curves. It's really easy for people who have been at this for a while to spec out "their" dream system to you after they have climbed all the learning curves and know exactly how they would set it up.

I've been building my P1 rig for a week, but I was looking for that. I'm fabricating aluminum parts for my transducer mounts and I fabricated the mounts for my chair and to mount the NLRv3 into my P1 chassis. I fabricated a panel for an amp to plug into my transducers. I purchased off the shelf parts that were not designed for 8020 and drilled them so they work well with it. I love building things. Let me emphasize that this is part of the fun for me, but I know that isn't how everyone else feels.

An RSeat + Fanatec combo is a least resistance combination if you just don't want to deal with all the complexities. There are many resources and people who will help you if you want to take the plunge and go deep and I agree with the people who are saying there are better pieces of equipment than what you have listed. However I also don't know if you just want to bolt this together in an evening or two and start playing.

Can I ask what you have now and what you are comfortable with so far? For example do you already have a Thrustmaster system and are already playing car racing games and are familiar with things, or are you just jumping in with both feet?

Thanks for the reply. You are completely correct in the fact I don’t have the time in and the knowledge that a lot of people here have... I have a simple Logitech setup on a desk that I have used a lot and enjoy and have always wanted to have a high end setup for as long as I have been playing racing and sim driving games. With that said I also don’t want to buy a setup that I don’t know and understand how to even get setup properly. The nice feature of the Fantec is the ease of setup and use.... the idea for memos that if i at least get a solid cockpit, computer, VR I can eventually with time upgrade some parts as I see fit.. in a way I am jumping in with both feet but with that said I don’t want to get so in over my head that the learning curve removes the fun... spend the money to build a good base and eveneyually when I feel ready upgrade to more technical parts

Upvote 0
If you are willing to fork out the extra $$ for the inverted pedals you are starting to get into high end pedal costs there have a look around to see what's out there 10 people can give 10 different answers the end of the day its what you want.
I think its part of fun researching what you can you'll chop and change your mind 100 times send yourself a bit crazy but its all good

Upvote 0
Did you want this to work with a console too? Im looking to do a similar thing on a slightly lower budget was looking at the fanatec club with pedals. An nlr v3 then I'm lost in regards to seat and cockpit.

Pc screens and xbox I've got.

So many decsions. Wife also annoyed by them all.

Anyone got any ideas

Upvote 0
This is what my local Best Buy self as the top end gaming computer in store

Ibuypower bb952
Intel core i7-8700 6 core 3.2ghz (4.6ghz turbo)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8gb
16gb ddr4 -266mhz memory
1tb sata solid state
Air cooled

Would this be sufficient pc for everything

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 109 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.2%