Help me out with a mild case of buyers remorse!

Sorry for the long post but you guys are the only people that can get what’s happening to me..

I recently decided to upgrade my rig’s monitor and sold my 27” Acer Predator (1080p 144Hz). I live in Costa Rica so the high end tech stuff is a bit expensive and hard to find, so I opted for a 32 inch 2560x1440 144Hz panel and narrowed down my options to either ASUS or AOC.

The ASUS was like $115 more expensive and had to wait 3 days for the store to get it from their supplier, the AOC was available next day delivered to my home. I did a bit of research before pulling the trigger and saw some very favorable reviews on YouTube for the AOC panel, considering it is a “budget gaming monitor”.

Once i got it I set it up and fired up some AC, ACC, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally 2, and was happy with the upgrade.

After a few days I started noticing that there was some “ghost blur” or “smearing” when there were deep black objects moving fast on the screen.. I did a bit of googling and found out the panel i bought (ACER CQ32G1) is known for very bad ghosting and this is due to the characteristics of the VA technology panels...

I figured out that turning up the overdrive setting and lowering contrast/increasing brightness helps with the blurring. Now the issue is not very noticeable, specially considering i only use it for my sim rig and nothing else. But I can’t help feeling some deep remorse after buying the wrong stuff.

There is no option of returning the screen if there is no damage, my only option would be to sell it at a loss. And honestly the issue is not that bad, but now instead of feeling happy with my new gear I feel like i made an expensive mistake every time i fire up the rig...

I just did a quick practice session in ACC and honestly the game looks pretty good and the blurring issue is only there if I actively look for it by focusing on the dark parts of the image.. If i just focus on driving everything is ok.

How do you guys deal when you regret your expensive purchases? :unsure:

How do you guys deal when you regret your expensive purchases? :unsure:

:cool::cautious::cautious::cool:

giphy.gif

Upvote 0
Sorry buddy, I think we have mostly all been there. The way I have started to look at these things, just accept the inevitable now. Once you decide you want something else, its really only a matter of how long before you change. I learned that I would rather just eat my loss and get what I want now, then have it bug me every time I use it for a year until I get something else. Really, I just save myself the aggravation of looking at my regret over and over until I fix it. You bit the bullet now, you can move on now instead of facing your regret over and over.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 97 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing