Help me decide on Cyber Monday Steam discounts

maxilogan

Premium
Hi all. I'm an Assetto Corsa user since about one year now, and I would have liked to add some other game to the pool of the ones I'm using. In addition to AC on the simulative side, I also play Forza 7 when I want to have some more easier/arcade driving, and I somewhat miss F1 2020 that I still have on the xbox but I'm not using anymore because I'm mainly playing on the computer where I have the wheel and pedals attached. I may very well use the XBOX connected to the same wheel and screen but they're distant and in two different rooms so despite I have bought cables long enough for this operation, it's rather inconvenient to do so.

I haven't got a big budget but currently F1 2021 for PC is discounted on Steam at 29.99, while ACC is much lower and I could get some of the packs for the same price (most probably on Fanatical ACC could be even more on par with the 30 buck target).

I know the two games are very different and i also know that I barely scratched the surface of AC (having 150 hours on it) so I was thinking if ACC is worth if I still have to play many of the categories in its elder sibliong, or I should go with the Formula experience again. The one thing that annoys me is that AC offers a rather poor offline experience for when I want to jump in for an hour or so without having been registered for an online race (trying to avoid public lobbies), so I would like to have a proper/funny career offline and as far as I understand both games offer a good experience.

For what is worth, I'm using a laptop which is rather powerful but not aimed at gaming (Gen 8 i9 with 16GB of RAM and a Quadro P2000 with 4 dedicated GB of RAM, Dell Precision). AC works relatively well (60 FPS FHD with high detail, sometimes dropping to a lower value) but I don't know what to expect from neither F1 nor ACC.

I've not played a Codemaster's F1 game since 2013 - not after discovering AC, Rfactor 2 & Raceroom - and I don't play ACC because of the poor VR graphics, so I can't offer any advice there either. I do, however, have a key for F1 2019 Legends edition for you to test with your current system. PM me if you want the key.

Just to add, Codemaster F1 games also tend to have a very short shelf life.
F1 games vs ACC.jpg

I really like ACC even in single player mode but if you're looking for fun off-line races and good career mode, you can't go wrong with F1 2021. The AI are pretty good, offering some really nice, tight battles and basically all the real life rules are implemented, so it's a really nice experience. Just be prepared that the driving experience is subpar compared to AC. It bugs me so much so, that I uninstalled F1 2020 and I'm not interested in buying 2021. Still, the racing itself is great in the Codemasters games.

ACC provides a great driving experience but the AI isn't that fun. They tend to be training through the race.

I think both games worth the money (especially the reduced price), only you can decide wether fun off-line racing is the priority or rather a much more sophisticated sim experience.

I really like ACC even in single player mode but if you're looking for fun off-line races and good career mode, you can't go wrong with F1 2021. The AI are pretty good, offering some really nice, tight battles and basically all the real life rules are implemented, so it's a really nice experience. Just be prepared that the driving experience is subpar compared to AC. It bugs me so much so, that I uninstalled F1 2020 and I'm not interested in buying 2021. Still, the racing itself is great in the Codemasters games.

ACC provides a great driving experience but the AI isn't that fun. They tend to be training through the race.

I think both games worth the money (especially the reduced price), only you can decide wether fun off-line racing is the priority or rather a much more sophisticated sim experience.
Thanks Vilmos for your reply. I know that unfortunately Kunos games are not that great in offline mode, but I hoped that being ACC aimed at replicating an actual championship, there would have been more attention to the career mode, which is not the case as far as I understand.
On the other hand, I know that F1 games are good at that almost as much as they're bad in the online experience (not only for the public lobbies but for the instability of the online platform, long waiting time, crashes etc.)

They do have WRC 7 for like $5.99.
I have to admit, I was tempted having never tried that series before and for essentially six bucks it wouldn't be a big loss if it was junk.
I tried the CM 2.0 a while back during one of these sales and the car felt like somebody but the binders on full when getting off the throttle.
It was horrible and I gave it back to STEAM after about fifteen minutes.
Waste of a download.
RBR is the last good rally game I ran.

I may very well use the XBOX connected to the same wheel and screen but they're distant and in two different rooms
I have a set of duplicate cables on my rig to quickly connect up my PS4, so it's a straight unplug/move/plug. Whilst it's a bit of faff, in real terms it takes me less time to move it than load a track in several sims. For offline I still find it scratches the itch really well, I just miss the VR too much

They do have WRC 7 for like $5.99.
I have to admit, I was tempted having never tried that series before and for essentially six bucks it wouldn't be a big loss if it was junk.
I tried the CM 2.0 a while back during one of these sales and the car felt like somebody but the binders on full when getting off the throttle.
It was horrible and I gave it back to STEAM after about fifteen minutes.
Waste of a download.
RBR is the last good rally game I ran.
Thanks for your answer Terry. I am barely able to keep the car on track on tarmac, go figure what I would do in gravel and or mud :roflmao:
I saw the offer on WRC but really, I wouldn't enjoy the game at all.

I have a set of duplicate cables on my rig to quickly connect up my PS4, so it's a straight unplug/move/plug. Whilst it's a bit of faff, in real terms it takes me less time to move it than load a track in several sims. For offline I still find it scratches the itch really well, I just miss the VR too much
Well actually I have a 7 m HDMI cable and a 10 m USB amplified cable that serve the purpose very well, but each time I have to unfold them, connect, race, re-wind them all back (as they're stored in the same cabinet as the console, and permanently attached to it's back). An old saying here in Italy says "it's more effort than it is pleasure" so I generally play on the Xbox only in forza games (+controller)

I would get the F1 game. They're simply fun with engaging offline single player.
ACC might run okay but probably wouldn't look that great. Offline single player isn't engaging at all imo...

If you want to have pure fun with great drifting physics, then get wreckfest. I don't enjoy the destruction derbies at all but the racing is great and wheel+pedal skills do make you faster since you can open or tighten drifts through hairpins, which is impossible with the slow/smoothed inputs of a controller!
However it's also great fun with a controller.

It has some "career", which I liked to play through.
Online multiplayer varies a lot. There are "clean endurance mud racing" servers or "destruction derbie 24/7".

No idea if it's on sale though...

I would get the F1 game. They're simply fun with engaging offline single player.
ACC might run okay but probably wouldn't look that great. Offline single player isn't engaging at all imo...

If you want to have pure fun with great drifting physics, then get wreckfest. I don't enjoy the destruction derbies at all but the racing is great and wheel+pedal skills do make you faster since you can open or tighten drifts through hairpins, which is impossible with the slow/smoothed inputs of a controller!
However it's also great fun with a controller.

It has some "career", which I liked to play through.
Online multiplayer varies a lot. There are "clean endurance mud racing" servers or "destruction derbie 24/7".

No idea if it's on sale though...

I got F1 2021 today. They had an extra-sale for those who owned F1 2020. 9.99EUR. (80% instead of 50%). I guess I'll be able to finish the "story-mode" after not having time during the free weekend some months ago.

Wreckfest is amazing on a clean folkrace/bilcross/jokkis-server. Wheel, pedals, h-shift with clutch (forcing you to clutch) is just awesome!

Well, in the end.. Steam sale on F1 2021 was limited to the Black Friday / Cyber Monday, so no discounts anymore yesterday, but because Patrick offered to share his code, thanks to his generosity I got F1 2019 on Steam anyway. It's not 2021 but I'll enjoy it anyway. Then, as the monkey on my back wasn't satiated yet, and as the budget was still untouched, I also bought ACC for whopping 33€ grand total for everything currently available (game + 4 DLCs). It's about double of what I paid for AC and all of its DLCs, yet a bargain IMHO. Should it not run well on the laptop, I'll uninstall it and use in a few months when I plan to buy a dedicated desktop for gaming :)

Thanks to everybody who took part in the thread, good races and kudos to you!

Well, in the end.. Steam sale on F1 2021 was limited to the Black Friday / Cyber Monday, so no discounts anymore yesterday, but because Patrick offered to share his code, thanks to his generosity I got F1 2019 on Steam anyway. It's not 2021 but I'll enjoy it anyway. Then, as the monkey on my back wasn't satiated yet, and as the budget was still untouched, I also bought ACC for whopping 33€ grand total for everything currently available (game + 4 DLCs). It's about double of what I paid for AC and all of its DLCs, yet a bargain IMHO. Should it not run well on the laptop, I'll uninstall it and use in a few months when I plan to buy a dedicated desktop for gaming :)

Thanks to everybody who took part in the thread, good races and kudos to you!
ACC was a good choice.
It still has one of the most natural 'feelings' of any sim I have ever driven.
Even the default seating end eye-points are good right out of the box.

ACC was a good choice.
It still has one of the most natural 'feelings' of any sim I have ever driven.
Even the default seating end eye-points are good right out of the box.
One thing I can confirm for sure is that ACC is the one sim that gives me the highest pleasure in driving a car in comparison to all the others I have. As I never drove a GT3 car I don't know how much it is close to the real thing, of course, but if I have got some time in which I have no organized races and have to decide what to drive, I'll launch ACC.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%