Help me choose tactile...

What are some (preferably "lowest" cost) tactile options. So far I have sim hub running those controller vibrator motors on my seat, shifter, pedals, and handbrake (24 motors in total) but I want something more immersive for my seat.

What would you guys recommend and what should I know first?

Id like something thats just plug and play but thats not necessary. Tho, much preferred.

Like I said, I prefer lowest cost but who doesnt. Not a problem to spend a little more than the bare minimum. Im just not one of those "money is no object" people.

Any and all help is appreciated greatly.

I want something more immersive for my seat.
If immersion is the goal, then check out HOLY Shamolee - The Long Requested / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / Simhub Tactile Effects Thread, where @Mr Latte and other conspire on a standard tactile configuration for which they have refined SimHub profiles.

If, on the other hand, you might be interested in informative tactile seat feedback,
an SRS Shakeseat puts 4 transducers in nearly direct contact with your bottom and thighs.
Along with harness tensioners, it provides alternatives for some motion sensations available
only in real cars on track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the first step would be to define your goals.

What do you want to achieve with additional tactile transducers?
What do you use the 24 motors for?

I can´t imagine that 24 rumbler motors can deliver 24 different and DECERNIBLE effects on a simrig.

So if this motors are combined in groups for less but stronger effects it would not be difficult to substitute one or several of these groups with stronger transducers to achieve stronger effects.

For example:

Wheel slip/lock effects on the pedals

Engine vibration/ gear change and road surface effects on the seat.
For those i would ( I do ) use different transducers.

There are lots of examples how to mount, power and configure the different transducers in this forum.

MFG Carsten

OK, reread the question :rolleyes:

Suggestion:

Put a bassshaker under your seat and one onto the backrest.
Some thing stronger as a Dayton puck, around the Aura AST-2b-4 or similar.
Use them for enginge/gear effects on the backrest and road effects on the seat bottom.

You´ll need a 2channel amp around 50-100 watts per channel and if you don´t have any free channels on your sound card you´ll need a USB soundcard which are fairly cheap.

There are even amps with build in soundcards, but as I´m using old audio amps i can´t comment on quality.
Some Info here on Gamer Muscles Channel:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys.. Well, let me refine my statement that I prefer plug and play. Or rather, disregard that statement. I didnt realize tactile can be as easy as a soundcard, amps and shakers. I used to be really into car audio so this will be much easier than I thought.

What amps does anyone recommend? I want to keep the amps low cost to begin with so whats "good enough"? Ill go all out with a nice setup once I get the feel for everything.

I think the first step would be to define your goals.

What do you want to achieve with additional tactile transducers?
What do you use the 24 motors for?

I can´t imagine that 24 rumbler motors can deliver 24 different and DECERNIBLE effects on a simrig.

So if this motors are combined in groups for less but stronger effects it would not be difficult to substitute one or several of these groups with stronger transducers to achieve stronger effects.

For example:

Wheel slip/lock effects on the pedals

Engine vibration/ gear change and road surface effects on the seat.
For those i would ( I do ) use different transducers.

There are lots of examples how to mount, power and configure the different transducers in this forum.

MFG Carsten

Right, theres not 24 different effects coming thru the motors. I think I have 6 effects that play thru all the motors but id like to set it up how you describe, "pedals do this", "seat does that", "shifter and handbrake do the other".

Ive been doing a ton of searching here on RD, didnt realize there was so much info already on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to keep the amps low cost to begin with so whats "good enough"?
If there is a possibility to temporarily borrow/repurpose
e.g. a 7.1 surround receiver with ~100 Watts/channel and discrete RCA inputs
(pre-HDMI surround receivers can be found under US$100 at yard sales and eBay)
that could suffice to get "the feel".

Upvote 0
As a test with two shakers on the seat literally every audio amp with enough wattage would do.

if you have one you could "borrow" the test would cost you the soundcard, the cables and the exciters.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Jeeeze, what did I get myself into here.

I think for now ive pretty much figured out what I need to.

Thanks for the help. Turns out I have everything I need to get started except the exciters which im in the process of building.

A whole new chapter of this sim rig headache..... Love it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are some (preferably "lowest" cost) tactile options. So far I have sim hub running those controller vibrator motors on my seat, shifter, pedals, and handbrake (24 motors in total) but I want something more immersive for my seat.

What would you guys recommend and what should I know first?

Id like something thats just plug and play but thats not necessary. Tho, much preferred.

Like I said, I prefer lowest cost but who doesnt. Not a problem to spend a little more than the bare minimum. Im just not one of those "money is no object" people.

Any and all help is appreciated greatly.

I like your creative approach.....
Give us an idea how you have used the 24 motors with the effects you run with.
What effects are you placing to what motors. Perhaps a diagram?

What the motors cannot do is output a wide variety of different frequencies.
I've requested several times to people but nobody wants to bother to use a microphone or pickup to give at least an idea of what frequencies in vibration these motors produce.

What you can do with tactile or achieve in immersion very much depends on what level of hardware you buy into. The vast majority of budget tactile works perhaps best with @40-60Hz, yet they may feel okay with @30-80Hz. It varies on specific models, some feel not bad with a bit lower frequencies, some with a bit higher.

Tactile Exciters & Clark TST
You can only get the best upper frequency detailing from (generated harmonics) with certain specific units.

Buttkicker & Earthquake
You can also only get good energy in sensations for low bass, as low as 2Hz with again specific units.

Budget Transducers
Comparing the best units for these two particular roles (High/Low Bass Reproduction) to the typical or common purchased budget solutions offers vast improvements in the felt sensations.

The recommended exciters are an excellent budget option to start with and plenty of info about them, as well as users now with them on these forums.

Greater Understanding
To build the best effects, we have to take into account what the hardware the user is using can achieve regards its best output frequencies. We also need to take into account how harmonics work with audio and that the Hz values we apply for effects in Simhub are not just what is generated.

Here is an example of a "SPEED" effect layer I was recently testing, to add finer/lively and high frequency detailing for increased engine strain response. You can clearly see the peak @ 80-90Hz but look at the naturally generated harmonics, well beyond this.

If you do not have hardware that can reproduce these finer details, then you simply don't get it.
Just look how much a user would be missing in generated felt sensation if their tactile is not much use beyond 70Hz?

A common issue some are mistaken by is that we do not need to be inserting an effect value using 200Hz to enjoy detailing up to or beyond 200Hz. Above is proof of that.

As in this example, spectrum analysis lets us see any naturally generated harmonics from whatever frequencies as values we use with Simhub. We then can apply effects with settings that work best within the frequency output of different tactile transducers or exciters.

Its About Frequencies Not Just Watts
The quality/performance level of tactile hardware used greatly determines the potential the user can reach. Then again, so does having good effects and applying a better understanding of what certain Simhub controls actually really do with the audio generated.

Pretty Cool? Monitoring Simhub effects via professional DAW to iPad Pro as a wireless monitor.

Personally, I'm still continuing to learn new things all the time in ways to apply multiple layers for low-high output data for different effects.

With the right tools, we can build effects that are more musical or harmonically matched.
Not just relying on making effects by feel in our butts alone.

Doing this, approach with more defined "effect layers" for specific transducer units. Also if using the better hardware then it gives us a much more dynamic range in the generated character effects can have applied to them. It also then lets us create felt sensations for different types of effects that do not feel the same.

A common issue I presume, with the motors and indeed with many budget tactile models is their limited frequency range outputs. So you often find most users with the more budget tactile, their own effects will use very similar frequencies, why well because the best feeling range for them is such a narrow window of @ 20Hz-50Hz to try to create multiple effects with different feeling sensations. It's simply not possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back