Help me build a $6k set rig!

I'm brand new to SIM racing - I purchased a 2020 supra a few months back, and started researching driving schools, tracks, etc. and I came across SIM racing. Thanks to everyone on this forum and youtube channels for what I've learned thus far. $6k is what I've got to spend. I am going to list what I think is best for me right now (mid-range system from what I've gathered). Please give me feedback, what you would change if you had 6k to spend! I'm currently stuck in the middle east, and am planning for my return to the states!!

1. $1,770 PC: Alienware R9, i7 9700k 8 core, RTX 2080 Super, 16 GB Ram, 512GH SSD (This PC will only be for SIM racing)

2. $1,140 Triple Monitors: BenQ EX3203R 1800r curved monitors, 144 hz, 1440p, HDR, Freesync
$550.00 *UPDATED 6/12 - save $$ on monitors and start with VR. Occulus Rift S vs. HP Reverb G1 (Both are about ~$550 now as Rift S prices soaring and Reverb prices dropping with announcement of G2. I need to purchase by early July so my options are limited).

3. $200 Tiple Monitor Stand: Obutto R3V Tr
*UPDATED 5/21 - switch to Sim-Lab triple monitor stand based on rigidity (price included in sim-lab rig
*UPDATED 6/12 - no triples, will start with VR

4. $525 Cockpit: GT Omega TITAN (new) Cockpit. This includes RS6 seat and shifter mount
$1,760
*UPDATED 5/21 - switch to Sim-Lab P1X. Price includes: Chassis, triple monitor mount, pedal slider baseplate & seat slider, bucket seat bracket set & seat slider, CS shifter side mount - tilt, buttkicker mounting plate, cup holder, keyboard tray, mouse pad, estimated ~300 euros shipping
$1260 *UPDATED 6/12 - took out monitor mounts, keyboard tray, buttkicker mounts - will hold off buttkickers initially

5. $400 *Updated 5/21 - Corbaeu FX1 Seat

6. $850 Steering Wheel and Base: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 and BMW GT Wheel
$1000-$1400 *UPDATED 6/12 switch to DD. Deciding between Accuforce ($1k) and VRS ($1k + rim)

7. $400 Pedals: Fanatec V3 with Brake Performance Kit
$775.00 *Updated 5/22 Heusinkveld (HE) Sprint Pedals + baseplate + shipping

8. $250 Shifter: Fanatec ClubSport Shifter *UPDATED 6/12 - switch to HE Sequential Shifter (same price)

9. $200 Accessory: ButtKicker Gamer 2 with tubular adapter mount
*UPDATED 6/12 - will hold off on Buttkicker initially

TOTAL: $5,335.
*Updated 5/21 TOTAL: $6,770
*Updated 5/22 TOTAL: $7,145

*Updated 6/12 TOTAL: $5,980 - $6,380

Last edited:
For a sequential shifter, I have included a pic of the one I made using a BMW automatic shifter from an E93 (ebay £20), a couple of micro switches and a usb board from amazon, £12.

The BMW shifter is real automotive quality and has a sequental mode so works perfectly for sim racing. I would put it up against any off the shelf design made for sim racing. It has a wiring loom, but I couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of finding which wires did what.

_MG_9567.png

Upvote 0
For a sequential shifter, I have included a pic of the one I made using a BMW automatic shifter from an E93 (ebay £20), a couple of micro switches and a usb board from amazon, £12.

The BMW shifter is real automotive quality and has a sequental mode so works perfectly for sim racing. I would put it up against any off the shelf design made for sim racing. It has a wiring loom, but I couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of finding which wires did what.

That's awesome.. i'm not technical enough for that haha.

Based on your advice I ended up getting a starter set up for right now: T300 base, Ferrari f1 wheel, T3pa-pro pedals, and HE sequential shifter.

I think the HE will be great for the full rig when I'm able to get it, and the wheels/pedals can also be a good starter kit to put on it too until I upgrade to the DD wheel and HE sprint pedals. Been looking at conical brake mods and load cell kits for the T3pa pedals too.

Upvote 0
The monitor stand is $300, and that also adds to the shipping cost.

Unfortunately, you can't order or even pre-order a Rift-S. Only option is to buy off ebay/amazon for $550-600 which doesn't excite me.

I don't know anything about AMD, but will check it out. The 30 series looks very promising for GPU

Accuforce is also a local company to me in Ohio, which would be nice if I ever had an issue down the road. Definitely considering it.

IMO, there's levels to this:
Entry level DD for someone who's serious: Accuforce V2.
The next step is clearly Simucube 2.

I would definitely not purchase a Rift S for $600. I have the Rift S, I got it for $380 and that's what I consider to be the price I would pay for it. The resolution just isn't that great to deserve $600. Plus a Valve Index is $500 without controllers or light stands but IMO, a Rift S shouldn't be within $200 or $250 of an Index. The Index is just way way better.
IMO, either buy a cheap Lenovo Explorer or something to just hold you over for now, or buy one ultrawide and think about going VR in the future when headsets are more reasonable.

Upvote 0
Great post, thank you!

Wheel - I have been meaning to update this with a DD drive wheel based on yours and other forum member posts. Thinking accuforce vs. VRS.

Cockpit - I like Demon-tweeks website a lot more than Sim-labs. The reason why it is so expensive is due to shipping. I emailed Demon-tweeks to get an estimate from them. Cup holder is $12 and mouse pad is $20 so not worried about those, but keyboard tray is $70, so I can probably find a better option for that. I am going to hold off on Buttkickers and consider that later after I'm racing for a bit.

Computer - Other's have recommended PC picker, and I may go that route. Thanks for putting together that list. I chose Alienware because it is one of the top picks on all the "best gaming PC" list. I'm certainly not opposed to other options, but I'm also NOT tech savvy and don't enjoy tinkering with PCs. I want them to just work

Shifter - I am planning to drive H pattern cars, but I have thought about starting out with a sequential shifter first. I looked at the Ailogs sequential - how does this HE compare to it? I put the HE in my cart and went through check out, it would be $250 with shipping. This may be a good option for me b/c I am putting together a mini travelling Rig right now b/c I'm working internationally through 2021 w/ lots of travel... would love to have pieces that can pop over on to a home rig

VR / Monitors - You must be reading my mind because I think I am going to start with VR, again, b/c of the travelling Rig I'm putting together. Perhaps I'll be content with it and not go for triples. I think I'll plan that way for now in hopes that it works out. I don't really get motion/sea sickness so hoping it will be the same with VR.
Well, I'm a Mac guy, worked with them since 1989, and I only got a windows PC for Assetto Corsa, and I can tell you one thing for sure, it never just works!

Bought ETS2, got it working in VR, then couldn't get it to work for two months.

Random thing just go wrong all the time with my Windows PC, it just goes bonkers every now and then.

Building the machine is the easy bit, if you can use a wall socket, change a light bulb or fit one piece of Lego to another, you can build or install GPUs, power supplies and CPUs.

I'm so glad I don't have to work in a Windows enviroment, it would drive me mad with fustration.

Upvote 0
That's awesome.. i'm not technical enough for that haha.

Based on your advice I ended up getting a starter set up for right now: T300 base, Ferrari f1 wheel, T3pa-pro pedals, and HE sequential shifter.

I think the HE will be great for the full rig when I'm able to get it, and the wheels/pedals can also be a good starter kit to put on it too until I upgrade to the DD wheel and HE sprint pedals. Been looking at conical brake mods and load cell kits for the T3pa pedals too.

I just noticed this, that sounds like a good plan.
The T300 is quite a good starter wheel (much stronger than the G29/TMX/T150) and is good enough that you'll definitely get a "do I really like this" experience out of it.
Plus it'll be super easy to resell if you do enjoy sim racing.

Also if you decide you like it but not "$6k deep" like it, you could always upgrade your wheel base to the TS-PC or TS-XW which a lot of people say is about as strong/detailed as a CSL Elite 1.1 which is a very popular belt driven wheel by Fanatec.

Upvote 0
I just noticed this, that sounds like a good plan.
The T300 is quite a good starter wheel (much stronger than the G29/TMX/T150) and is good enough that you'll definitely get a "do I really like this" experience out of it.
Plus it'll be super easy to resell if you do enjoy sim racing.

Also if you decide you like it but not "$6k deep" like it, you could always upgrade your wheel base to the TS-PC or TS-XW which a lot of people say is about as strong/detailed as a CSL Elite 1.1 which is a very popular belt driven wheel by Fanatec.
Also, if you do get a DD wheel, its a good back-up wheel and works with Playstation/x box too. Check out the T-LCM pedals from thrustmaster, they have some great reviews and are not too expensive either

Upvote 0
Was able to get a second hand, but new in box Rift S for 450 on local Facebook marketplace. That’s about what it would cost new with shipping/taxes. Only bummer is warranty not transferable, but current owner said he’d be happy to assist if it ever did need warranty work.

Upvote 0
Was able to get a second hand, but new in box Rift S for 450 on local Facebook marketplace. That’s about what it would cost new with shipping/taxes. Only bummer is warranty not transferable, but current owner said he’d be happy to assist if it ever did need warranty work.
If you have upto 6k to spend, you may want to use all that money you've saved on one of these, and they are having a sale right now

Best to have a check of some online reviews to see what the consensus is and double check the games you plan on playing are compatible with it.

Out interest, which games are you planning on trying?

PS, Steam is having a sale on most software, now is a good time to buy games.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years