Help I cant get rid of this awful cockpit movement

Scott Tanner

3vil - Steam
Can someone tell me how to remove the awful cockpit movement, it puts me off racing. I can handle when its the car moving over bumps and the world stays still to a certain degree like in AC or Pcars.

Please advise what I can alter.

Check cockpitinfo file (for this car should be named StockV8_2014_cockpitinfo or something) for CockpitVibrationMag=0.00x. If this doesn't help, go to .plr file and check these:
Cockpit Vibration Mult1, Cockpit Vibration Freq1, Cockpit Vibration Mult2, Cockpit Vibration Freq2. It's another thread with someone not liking the cockpit vibration, and honestly I still don't know what's it all about. I don't see the problem here and do not know what should I be looking at to search one.

Thanks guys

Edit: I have set my Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\UserData\Scott Tanner\Scott Tanner.plr to these settings
Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation

I have set Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\GameData\Vehicles\StockV8_2014\ StockV8_2014_cockpitinfo.ini to:
CockpitVibrationMag=0.000

It still shakes like crazy :(. It completely throws my hand eye coordination out the window. The world shouldn't be shaking like this to simulate bumps. Human eyes stay very level even if you look up and down and try to focus on the horizon your eyes stay centred. On some corners it makes me slow down more than I need to or worse come off the track as it makes me dizzy.

This is after the edit above

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Edit: I have set my Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\UserData\Scott Tanner\Scott Tanner.plr to these settings
Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation

I have set Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\GameData\Vehicles\StockV8_2014\ StockV8_2014_cockpitinfo.ini to:
CockpitVibrationMag=0.000

It still shakes like crazy :(. It completely throws my hand eye coordination out the window. The world shouldn't be shaking like this to simulate bumps. Human eyes stay very level even if you look up and down and try to focus on the horizon your eyes stay centred. On some corners it makes me slow down more than I need to or worse come off the track as it makes me dizzy.

This is after the edit above

Your head is stactic relative to the car there. The car is moving as it´s stiff suspension rides over the track bumps. I appreciate motion sickness is an issue for a lot of people, but making smooth tracks so people don´t get dizzy would kinda defeat the purpose.

Yep as I mentioned in the previous message, the cockpit in that video is not shaking relative to the POV, the world around is shaking because the car is riding the track bumps / oscillations.

The point of motion sickness even after head / cockpit shake is zeroed has been raised before, it´s perfectly valid issue to raise but people seem to be confusing the cause here, and hence what the solution should be. Some solution that filters out / dampens oscillations from bumps and such might be something worth looking into, but I´d be skeptical about how much of an universal solution this could be. If you have a simulation of a stiff vehicle running accross a bumpy surface, something seems bound to be shaking on the screen.

We remain however open minded to suggestions, and also references to what people would like to see - preferably some that do not include billiard-smooth tracks :)

Hey Scott ...
Try this. Open up the cam file located in Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\GameData\Vehicles\StockV8_2014\ StockV8_2014_cams. Under the second heading which is LocalCam=COCKPIT. Look for the OrientationRate. This will read as (999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000). Replace those numbers with (29.5, 999.000, 29.5). You should see a MAJOR improvement. Enjoy !!

Yep as I mentioned in the previous message, the cockpit in that video is not shaking relative to the POV, the world around is shaking because the car is riding the track bumps / oscillations.

The point of motion sickness even after head / cockpit shake is zeroed has been raised before, it´s perfectly valid issue to raise but people seem to be confusing the cause here, and hence what the solution should be. Some solution that filters out / dampens oscillations from bumps and such might be something worth looking into, but I´d be skeptical about how much of an universal solution this could be. If you have a simulation of a stiff vehicle running accross a bumpy surface, something seems bound to be shaking on the screen.

We remain however open minded to suggestions, and also references to what people would like to see - preferably some that do not include billiard-smooth tracks :)
By all means, make the cockpit shake the way it can be setup now :)

You'd rather have it like iRacing or when the "lock head to horizon" option is enabled in Assetto Corsa? Yawn, those views are absolutely nothing like the experience you get in real-life racing. They are a joke actually. You'd rather have the sleepy, pillow, driving on a cloud type of view? Come on man :)

The only thing I don't like in Rieza's movement is this weird lateral stuff as the car turns making it feel like the car is moving or rotating left or right relative to you and also makes it feel like the car is always 100% perfectly flat rather than leaning on the outside tyres during I turn. I can't explain it good, lol. It's very obvious in most cars especially the F3.

Some option to scale the lock head to horizon seems like the best solution? Not sure how easy that is to implement tho.

Or smoothing the option by sampling the viewpoint over the past x frames and using that. Obviously scalable. That may introduce lag to the view changing though.

Well, i have posted that quite a few times before, m.guenette also a few posts above, hopefully some of the reiza guys will notice that this time :) and by the way both gtr2 and gtlegends had that option as a setting in menu. It was called "world movement". It had a barr going from zero to 100%. Zero had practically the same effect as lock horizon or whatever in ac. So IT CAN be done and actually without editing the cam file. But currently its the only way

You'd rather have it like iRacing or when the "lock head to horizon" option is enabled in Assetto Corsa? Yawn, those views are absolutely nothing like the experience you get in real-life racing. .

Utter rubbish. Your saying that your eyes and mine are locked in position and do not stay centred. Complete nonsense.Our eyes auto balance themselves. Try it out. Hold your hand in front of you and look at it, now shake your head. Notice that your eyes stay centred and your hand is marginally shaking. If the eyes were on a fixed axis the world would shake and blur terribly making us ill and certainly not the apex predators we once were.

The view being locked to the body of the car is what's causing the issue, it needs to simulate the world movement differently like other games do.There they keep your vision relative to the horizon and the body of the car moves up and down separately.

In AC & pcars you can have the best of both worlds you can minimize the view lock by softening it. Too much and it also looks weird (feels like the car becomes a boat on water especially on elevations)

Please don't do that Alex. Unless someone's using a full motion cockpit, the driving will look and "feel" like the car is driving a 1970s Rolls Royce on a cloud in the sky. Plus, the car looking like it's moving so much relative to the driver just looks a absolutely fake and "video-gamey".

The first thing I did in AC was to disable the "lock head to horizon" option. After that, I actually felt like I was in s high performance car on a bumpy track. I could feel the "energy" of the machine around me more, it becomes more visceral, more raw. The other way "lock to hor" makes everything so calm, serene, and "nice", and Is a million light-years from the real-life experience :)

If you have a simulation of a stiff vehicle running accross a bumpy surface, something seems bound to be shaking on the screen.

What you have simulated is a human in a cockpit with a metal rod as a spine,and eyes that stare into the distance that dont have the muscles which keep the yes centred. Its basically like a camera on a tripod welded to a car seat so that when the car goes over a bump the view follows the car rather than auto balancing like a human neck and eye muscles do to compensate for the angle changing.

This is a bit of both
The camera isnt hard locked to the horizon making the car move underneath like the boat on water efffect, and its head movement isnt hard locked to the car, there is some "play" in the shake so its not so stiff

Please don't do that Alex. Unless someone's using a full motion cockpit, the driving will look and "feel" like the car is driving a 1970s Rolls Royce on a cloud in the sky. Plus, the car looking like it's moving so much relative to the driver just looks a absolutely fake and "video-gamey".

The first thing I did in AC was to disable the "lock head to horizon" option. After that, I actually felt like I was in s high performance car on a bumpy track. I could feel the "energy" of the machine around me more, it becomes more visceral, more raw. The other way "lock to hor" makes everything so calm, serene, and "nice", and Is a million light-years from the real-life experience :)

The idea was to have something inbetween. Anyway, it's not my area just speaking out loud :)

Hey Scott ...
Try this. Open up the cam file located in Steam\SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme\GameData\Vehicles\StockV8_2014\ StockV8_2014_cams. Under the second heading which is LocalCam=COCKPIT. Look for the OrientationRate. This will read as (999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000). Replace those numbers with (29.5, 999.000, 29.5). You should see a MAJOR improvement. Enjoy !!
Thank you but its still to rigid for me

I adore the Stock cars bit I simply cant be competitive with this level of camera stiffness. Are there any category's were the view isn't so stiff?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 149 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 408 39.9%