Help! I’ve lost cockpit view.

I was spectating an online race and switching between cameras as the race went on. Now, whenever I go out to drive, whether it’s a test, single race or multi player, my view is from the bumper cam.

I play in VR so hit the reset button but that just reset the bumper cam view. I’ve now mapped a button for camera cycling and have to do that whilst the red lights build up before they turn green.

Is this a known bug? Or something that I’ve missed in the settings/options - I can’t find anything.

*If this should be in sub-forum please move it, I couldn’t find anywhere better.

So you're saying that your view always defaults to bumper cam now, rather than the view you were using in the previous session? If so then it sounds like a bug. Once you choose a camera it should remain that way until you change it.

Or you unknowingly changed it. That happened to me once. I had forgotten which button I mapped to it, and must have accidentally hit it. Once I discovered the mapping and corrected the view, all was well again. Hope that is all it is for you too.

Exactly, my default view now is the bumper cam. I completely exited the game and restarted but that didn’t change anything. I also spectated another online game and chose the cockpit view before exiting in the hope that may work but no luck.

I can’t find anything in my settings to change this, I’m assuming that cockpit would always be the default view so I’m not too surprised by that.

I’ll spectate another online race, opt for the cockpit cam and let the race completely play out to see if that helps.

Or you unknowingly changed it. That happened to me once. I had forgotten which button I mapped to it, and must have accidentally hit it. Once I discovered the mapping and corrected the view, all was well again. Hope that is all it is for you too.

It‘s possible, I do have a childish habit of just jumping into games without fully mapping everything properly. Although I hadn’t mapped any views to buttons until the problem arose....but if they were mapped to a default then absolutely. I just wish I could find something in the set up that was the obvious choice to reset it permanently.

EDIT: It’s probably worth mentioning that when I watched the original race I only switched cameras via the interface you get when you watch replays.

Nope, no luck there.

I have had the same bug in PC2 and no way of getting rid of it. I have tried many things with no permanent success. As they use the same engine, my guess the same bug is there.

In PC2, sometimes if I do TT and then get back to online racing, it keeps the cockpit view. But quite often on first online race the view defaults back to the bumper camera. Pretty annoying. Normally in simracing I don't have the 'change camera' button even assigned, but with PC2 I have mapped it to be able to change it quickly. Worst thing is if there is no quali and the event starts, and you are in the bumper camera view. Few extra heartbeats to change the camera in time before lights go out.

Funnily, with AMS2 I don't have this (played some 60+ hours, but not many online races yet though).

cheers.

You could try reinstalling the game. The advice to reset the game has always been to delete the My Documents\Automobilista 2 folder, but this does not return the game to a completely default state. I found that out when I deliberately removed all traces of AMS 2 and reinstalled to ensure I had a completely clean v1.0.

I have had the same bug in PC2 and no way of getting rid of it. I have tried many things with no permanent success. As they use the same engine, my guess the same bug is there.

In PC2, sometimes if I do TT and then get back to online racing, it keeps the cockpit view. But quite often on first online race the view defaults back to the bumper camera. Pretty annoying. Normally in simracing I don't have the 'change camera' button even assigned, but with PC2 I have mapped it to be able to change it quickly. Worst thing is if there is no quali and the event starts, and you are in the bumper camera view. Few extra heartbeats to change the camera in time before lights go out.

Funnily, with AMS2 I don't have this (played some 60+ hours, but not many online races yet though).

cheers.

I haven’t come across it in PC2, whether that’s dumb luck or not watching online races I’ve no idea....hopefully doing a reinstall as Goffick suggests may help.

As you say, whilst it’s not a huge issue, it is pretty annoying when you’re trying to get set for a race.
You could try reinstalling the game. The advice to reset the game has always been to delete the My Documents\Automobilista 2 folder, but this does not return the game to a completely default state. I found that out when I deliberately removed all traces of AMS 2 and reinstalled to ensure I had a completely clean v1.0.

Good idea, that’s my Saturday morning sorted :)

If cars are defaulting to bumper cam. Return to pit box and select monitor. Change camera to cockpit. This should solve your issue
I actually did a full reinstall over the weekend which got me back to where I wanted to be. Funnily enough as I was rebinding buttons etc I noticed this and wondered if that may have been the answer.

Thanks for the help, now I know what to do if I manage to screw it up again.

A bit off topic...but still on the subject of views.....
Is anybody else having a bit of difficulty with views out the cockpit window on tin-tops?
I find that unless I drive open-wheel cars, the 'A' pillar obstructs much of the forward view in most cars.
Much of my tendency now, is to drive from the bumper or centered in-car view.
The 'in-cockpit' hood view is also a bit too short...putting the driver at the forward tip of the hood.
Hopefully they'll move that view back a bit in coming updates.

I typically move my seat forward a long way in each car. I feel this lines up the dash better with my screen but it also has the effect of bringing the A pillar closer and wider, obstructing the view less.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 193 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.7%