Skins Help creating skins in Gimp

You worked with Dauntless too? Did he ask you to delete all his "traces" in AC modding too..? (still salty about the way he left the ship)

And yes you can use all sorts of tileable effect in the metal_detail files. One of the stock Kunos skins for the Alfa GTA has a unique combination of metal detail and map files, resulting in a brushed metal look of the skin.

I was really sad to see Dauntless go TBH. After he left and I read that he didnt want you to use the stuff he had created for your 996 (I think?) I took it upon myself to remove my videos of his mods and stuff. Much less frustrating for me than yourself as I havent created anything really, just spent a whole lot of time doing precious little :D just researching, testing & trying to make skins... Dauntless and Henri are a lot better at that though, it was very much a learning process for me. I mostly just tried to find bugs and dig out articles that might be of interest etc.

Although i had a lot of hours poured into that stuff I did it for fun and was only there to help where I could, must of been a much bigger blow for yourself! I wonder if he would have reacted differently if Kunos had given a few weeks notice where people could still post in their threads. I really wish the LX8 got released and I could still use the XJ12C online :(

I was really sad to see Dauntless go TBH. After he left and I read that he didnt want you to use the stuff he had created for your 996 (I think?) I took it upon myself to remove my videos of his mods and stuff. Much less frustrating for me than yourself as I havent created anything really, just spent a whole lot of time doing precious little :D just researching, testing & trying to make skins... Dauntless and Henri are a lot better at that though, it was very much a learning process for me. I mostly just tried to find bugs and dig out articles that might be of interest etc.

Although i had a lot of hours poured into that stuff I did it for fun and was only there to help where I could, must of been a much bigger blow for yourself! I wonder if he would have reacted differently if Kunos had given a few weeks notice where people could still post in their threads. I really wish the LX8 got released and I could still use the XJ12C online :(
I don't know, he completely vanished. Talked about now starting to mod in RFactor2, so maybe his mods appear there some time. Thing with my 996 was that he worked on tge physics for over a year. He spend many hours testing which I often can't (work related I spend the work week away from my gaming computer mostly).

Like a mad painter he wanted to destroy his own canvas. Wonder if he ever turns up again, even disassociated his Steam account from the AC forums. I know another alias of him on another forum, but he's been inactive there too since.

Unless his plans have changed I think he might do some stuff for RF2. He is still alive, I see him playing RF2 and AMS sometimes.

Sucks for him and us, he must of spent a serious amount of time on his mods for AC and an awful lot on yours as well by the sound of it!

Ok im sticking with Gimp 2.8. I find CS2 pretty difficult to use. Im sure it would get easier over time but having to use more than 1 tool or reach over and hold a key for really regular actions like plotting a path is frustrating me. I just googled how to stroke a path and after seeing the instructions how to do that I decided to open Gimp again instead :p

Ok im sticking with Gimp 2.8. I find CS2 pretty difficult to use. Im sure it would get easier over time but having to use more than 1 tool or reach over and hold a key for really regular actions like plotting a path is frustrating me. I just googled how to stroke a path and after seeing the instructions how to do that I decided to open Gimp again instead :p
The dds export of Gimp is not the best, but if in doubt you can always export as png or whatever and convert it to dds with another tool (I use DXTBmp)

i found the skin with different metal detail :D
20160924104919_1.jpg

20160924105232_1.jpg

@AccAkut do you use DXT5 with DXTBmp? i downloaded it and exported my skin from Gimp as PNG with 0 compression (dont know if that was the right thing to do) and then used DXTBmp to convert to DDS using DXT5 compression. I assume I did something wrong, I can see blemishes in the paint with DXTBmp

Gimp DXT5
GimpComp.jpg

DXTBmp DXT5
DXTBmpComp.jpg

You can plot paths without holding a key. Just use the Pen tool and make sure it is set to the correct type (in the top ribbon you can set it to draw a path only, or make it a shapez etc).
But use whatever you are most comfortable with :)

Good day, I want to do some very basic skin alteration on the original and mod vehicles in AC. I have a thing for wheel rim colours ( had a purple Lotus 7 replica with Monster green mags ). Where do I get started - can you give me some pointers ? No modding or photoshop background.
Thanks in advance.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 127 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing