HELP Changing an AIW File

Hello. I hope this is the right platform to ask my question. I wanna edit the Worst/Mid/Best adustment in an AIW Ffile of an existing track. I know how to open the MAS file and change the parameters, then i repackage the whole thing and install it, but it never shows up in game. Furthermore the original Track with the original AIW also disapears ingame. I changed the AIW all the time in GTR 2 and RF1 and it was much easier.
Your help would be much apreciated.:)

Hey man I don't know much about the topic myself but check out this guys videos on the topic they might help
Also there is a user here I think his name is Ace King or something similar. He has done a bit with AIWs and might be able to help.

NOTE: This method will install a very small update directory to your original track!!

I use a "copy" of the "original" MAS that houses the original AIW and other files like GDB, SCN. CAM, RRBIN files and Loading Icons etc.
In this MAS i replace the original AIW. Note: First delete your old AIW by using "Cut" then save. Now add your new AIW update then save and repack your new MAS.

1) In the Mod Packager i select "Create Single Cmp Package"
2) Under "Select Component" be sure to edit in the "Original" track name
3) Direct file path to your "Packages" directory with the name and version # of your rfcmp update
4) Version: Your "new" version #
5) Update from: Check this box and edit in the original track version #
6) Type" select "Location" if update is for a track
7) Info: Not necessary but you may describe what was done in your update
8) MAS files: Here is where you Include all the MAS files for your track

STEP 8 - NOTES:
All boxes for your MAS files need to be "Unchecked" except for your new MAS file containing your "New" AIW needs to be "Checked". Now when you click "Package", your new AIW update 'rfcmp" will only include the one MAS file you checked thus will be very small in size but will still recognize all the other MAS file boxes that were not checked as necessary for the track to function!
9) Now click "Install" and your finished. Easy Peasy!! Good Luck!!

NOTE: I tested this in online multiplayer Servers many times over the years and if the Server doesn't have your AIW update then the Server will automatically use the original thus no mismatches! This method also works very well with Car mod updates and used this for all my Skin Pack updates too!

Last edited:
Hey Thx for the reply .
I just have to ask some things. I want to replace the AIW file or The long version of Riverside Raceway located in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\Riverside International Raceway\1.02

IS this below the repacking procedure you mentioned here "Now add your new AIW update then save and repack your new MAS". or do I have to repack the files with the new AIW before and then follow this steps?;

"1) In the Mod Packager i select "Create Single Cmp Package"
2) Under "Select Component" be sure to edit in the "Original" track name
3) Direct file path to your "Packages" directory with the name and version # of your rfcmp update
4) Version: Your "new" version #
5) Update from: Check this box and edit in the original track version #
6) Type" select "Location" if update is for a track
7) Info: Not necessary but you may describe what was done in your update
8) MAS files: Here is where you Include all the MAS files for your track

2) Under "Select Component" be sure to edit in the "Original" track name (Do you mean the Installed Track name from my location folder? In my case its Riverside International Raceway)

3) Direct file path to your "Packages" directory with the name and version # of your rfcmp update (Can I put in any name or has it to be the name or path of the original track that is already installed?)

5) Update from: Check this box and edit in the original track version # (Here I put in the direction of the original track in my case D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\Riverside International Raceway\1.02)

Then I uncheckt every componend except for the version of the track with the new AI. But when I click on Package nothing happens and when I click on install i get the error "Error locating or opening mod file"

I'm sorry for my noobness. . I mess with AIW files in RF1 GPL and GTR2 since the last 12 years and I got some good results but this somehow gets over my head :)
Your help is much apreciated.

Last edited:
Hey Thx for the reply .
I just have to ask some things. I want to replace the AIW file or The long version of Riverside Raceway located in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\Riverside International Raceway\1.02

IS this below the repacking procedure you mentioned here "Now add your new AIW update then save and repack your new MAS". or do I have to repack the files with the new AIW before and then follow this steps?;

Yes, you have to repack the files with the new AIW into your new MAS "BEFORE" and then follow the 8 steps!!!

2) Under "Select Component" be sure to edit in the "Original" track name (Do you mean the Installed Track name from my location folder? In my case its Riverside International Raceway)

"YES" In my case its Riverside International Raceway - YES, "exactly" the correct naming as is shown in "locations" ) Note: Some tracks have a version # as part of the tracks name so you would also need to include the version # too. ex. Mallala_v099

3) Direct file path to your "Packages" directory with the name and version # of your rfcmp update (Can I put in any name or has it to be the name or path of the original track that is already installed?)

YES, you may use any name your desire! I use the original version # and then my Update version # . Note: I first direct the path to my rF2 Packages directory and at the end of the path i add the name of my update ex: Barbagallo_v2.3_AI-update_v2.4

5) Update from: Check this box and edit in the original track version # (Here I put in the direction of the original track in my case D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\Riverside International Raceway\1.02)

This step you Only need to edit in the "original" track version # Note: No need to put in any location path in this step as this update knows that it's a track located in "Locations" and it knows the "original" track name so it can update it correctly!

Then I uncheckt every componend except for the version of the track with the new AI. But when I click on Package nothing happens and when I click on install i get the error "Error locating or opening mod file"

Note: When you click "Package" it will indicate it packaged correctly with "no errors" and if "no" message or a "error" message then your naming or something else went wrong and "No" point in attempting to "install" . If it packaged correctly then when you click "install" the small "Red" box turns "Green" then click "Done" Your new AIW update will install to your track plus add your new AIW update rfcmp file into your Packages directory!

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
OK.. Now the game crashes to desktop when I wanna race the updated track:mad:. I think I will rest my case for now and come back to it later. Anyways: Thanks for your detailed explanation.;)

OK.. Now the game crashes to desktop when I wanna race the updated track:mad:. I think I will rest my case for now and come back to it later. Anyways: Thanks for your detailed explanation.;)

First, did you "remove" the old AIW from the MAS using "CUT" before adding your new AIW update then Save as this could be your issue?
If you care to privately message me a download link for your new AIW update i will examine and test it for where the problem may be. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back