Help a beginner understand car set-ups ...(pretty please)

Hello - i'm driving GTR EVO a lot and enjoy it, especially the legends pack for Race 07.

The setup screen is a mystery to me.

I read around the forums, but all of it assumes a knowledge just a few steps over my head.

I wonder if a car/driving lover would take the time to explain a few of the basics - like what effect does changing 5 or 6 of the basic parameters do , and even do I take the value up or down for the desired effect ?

I'm looking to corner better - and i usually drive on Spa and Laguna Seca.

Many thanks in advance.

I would start off with the simbin setup when it is available as those have usually been tuned somewhat to the track but need to be tweaked to be the most effective. Once you can go around the track several laps with little to no time difference and no areas that are causing you issues then start to think what you would like to improve.

For instance, when you enter the turn, is the back end trying to come around and spin you or is the front end trying to drive you straight into the wall? Are you able to make the turn at the same speed as others or are you slower. On exit does the car want to push to the wall or is the back end trying to beat the front onto the straight.

When braking, are you able to still turn the car and have control or does it push or want to spin? On straights, does the car want to hold the line you put it in or does it wander all over the track?

All these things relate to areas of the car that can be changed for the better or worse and a good setup guide is invaluable at those times. You just have to learn to read what the car is trying to do and adjust from there. Watching replays is a good way to see how the car is doing. Pay attention to any sparks you might see as those would tell you that you are bottoming out, not good. Watch the tires and see if any one tire is locking up before the others. Keep your view in chase mode and watch the back of the car when entering and exiting the corners to see if it is trying to come around on you.

Remember, none of this will help you if you are not consistent with your driving. All you will end up doing is messing up the setup and have to start all over again. Patience is key here, but after a bit you will get the hang of it and be able to tune yourself and your setup to get the most out of the car.

Choose simbin setup and check: brake bias, gears, wing (it is at full at Monza?) and springs (if you like softer car). I don't change anything else now because it doesn't have much effect IMHO and it's just waste of time. If you feel that handling is good, just drive and learn track. I've just played three races and was 2+ seconds faster than in practice mode and it looked slower to me. Maybe there is better grip or temps in races.

Choose simbin setup and check: brake bias, gears, wing (it is at full at Monza?) and springs (if you like softer car). I don't change anything else now because it doesn't have much effect IMHO and it's just waste of time. If you feel that handling is good, just drive and learn track. I've just played three races and was 2+ seconds faster than in practice mode and it looked slower to me. Maybe there is better grip or temps in races.

Offline practice and time attack has the same grip as online Qualy and race, not sure about offline Qualy/race grip. Online Practice1 is the less grippiest in the whole game, don't know if Practice2 is the same as qualy, very close anyway.

Minimal setup tinkering here, used to do a lot of it. SimBin setup is usually good enough, it's inherently balanced towards understeer but is very well balanced. I've noticed that the more i deviate fro it, the worse setup i have. Increasing steering lock, differentials (less lock/more coast, less preload), stiffer rear springs and sometimes stiffer front ARB is all i need for a quick race. Longer races there's need for more precise setup as it needs to feel good at the end of the stint also. Tire temps are the most important thing to watch, they tell you almost everything. Oh, and XD is a must...

I really appreciate the old hands weighing in on this thread to help us out. I've ordered "Speed Secrets" to work on technique, and I have a feeling that that will be the best way to move forward, with [Edit] Simbin set-ups - and then begin to implement the ideas in this thread.

Great community.

I need help as well. I'm turning 1' 15".00's on Falkenberg in the Volvo C30. I know that 1', 11.00.00's are in reach can anyone help?

Are you sure you're driving Falkenberg in a Volvo C30? I just drove the four default cars[C30 and S60] at both versions in the 47-48 second range and I'm a slooow RD driver.

Individual help is tough to come by so all I can say is to read the thread on improvement, follow one or more lines of advice and put in lots of laps.

For me the setup doesn't make me faster, no matter who came up with it, I'm just as fast with DEFAULT. But! I can set a car up quickly so that it suits "me" and the way I like to drive. I can fine tune it over laps and sometimes end up with a really fun car for "me" to drive. Stick to the basics and get better at the drive. There are so many RD fast guys that can drop into a race, pick up default cars and boogie, it isn't the car.

Now, what track were you at? You're probably already faster them me there!

Offline practice and time attack has the same grip as online Qualy and race, not sure about offline Qualy/race grip.

Time attack has constant tyre temps and pressure. Funny that I have never had that high temps in practice or race. I was trying virtually everything and can't get high temps.

Yeah, and I played some races yesterday and had higher temps (road, amb) than in practice. My better lap times was probably because of that.

Can somebody explain this to me please, taken from Rd setup giude (Ramon's fine peice of work)

Toe In [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]With Toe-in at the front or rear you can adjust the degree the front of the wheels angle towards or away from each other. Toe-in is used for directional stability and initial corner turn-in.

For the front wheels, the preferred setting is a slight amount of toe-out (negative setting), which helps turning in.

For the rear wheels, the preferred setting is toe-in (positive setting) because toe-out creates instability.

Don’t changes too much toe (positive or negative) because it slows the car down with increased rolling

But when i look at the setups FWD/RWD cars they all have a -0.?? Deg at the front wheels and 0.??Deg at the rear. I was expecting a RWD car to have a 0.?? Deg at the front

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Only thru many iterations of setups can I can you that the RD guide is correct. I think they're more relevant to real life street cars than to sim racing. I don't look to make improvements in a car using these adjustments as there are other changes to make that affect the cars more than these.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%